DHC-4 Caribou | 73" Span

Pieliker96

Elite member
Well we've got a verdict! It was indeed stalling the outboard section of the left wing even when (as a pilot) it didn't feel like it should be! Due to the propwash, the flow over the wing root can remain fully attached even when the massive flaps are down and the entire outboard section is stalled - the wing fences seem to prevent the stall from spreading, just in the opposite direction of intended. My solution was to add VGs to the outboard sections. They do disturb the air more in cruise and therefore cause more drag, but they do a great job at mixing the boundary layer and making the stall delayed and much more mushy - the stall tendency is quite manageable now, and it wants to drop a wing considerably less.

The VGs do sacrifice some of the scale accuracy, but it's worth it to make it flyable.
1650308455784.png 1650308481323.png

Paint scheme and wheelbarrow attempts coming soon!

SSgt Duramax

Well we've got a verdict! It was indeed stalling the outboard section of the left wing even when (as a pilot) it didn't feel like it should be! Due to the propwash, the flow over the wing root can remain fully attached even when the massive flaps are down and the entire outboard section is stalled - the wing fences seem to prevent the stall from spreading, just in the opposite direction of intended. My solution was to add VGs to the outboard sections. They do disturb the air more in cruise and therefore cause more drag, but they do a great job at mixing the boundary layer and making the stall delayed and much more mushy - the stall tendency is quite manageable now, and it wants to drop a wing considerably less.

The VGs do sacrifice some of the scale accuracy, but it's worth it to make it flyable.
View attachment 224296 View attachment 224297

Paint scheme and wheelbarrow attempts coming soon!
Nice! If you have a 3D printer, and want some better looking VGs, there are a couple of designs on thingiverse I have tested that worked.

L Edge

Master member
Did you ever explore reversing the ESC and how did you deal with the looong!!!!!! time element to go into reverse. multi engine?

Pieliker96

Elite member
Did you ever explore reversing the ESC and how did you deal with the looong!!!!!! time element to go into reverse. multi engine?
I've messed with it on the ground, not much in the air. Reason being is that if I enable reversing, the left motor likes to cut out at random - the plane handles engine-outs surprisingly well though. It does take a bit to switch but if you're on it and flying ahead of the airplane during landing it should be possible to real-quick jam it into reverse and decrease the landing distance.