DHC-4 Caribou

DHC-4 Caribou v1.0

Please log in to download

Pieliker96

Elite member
Pieliker96 submitted a new resource:

DHC-4 Caribou - A 73" Span STOL Cargo Transport for Power Pack C Twin

View attachment 217969

The DHC-4 Caribou uses Twin C pack and a 3000 4s. It features retracts and landing gear doors, slotted flaperons and double-slotted main flaps, and actuating upper and lower cargo bay doors. It uses 13 sheets of DTFB, 1 sheet of cardstock or posterboard, and 2 sheets of 1'x2'x1/8" plywood, among popsicle sticks and other assorted bits of hardware. Build guidance, updates, and more information can be found...

Read more about this resource...

andrewdh

Pieliker96 submitted a new resource:

DHC-4 Caribou - A 73" Span STOL Cargo Transport for Power Pack C Twin

Read more about this resource...
Great work, I've also wanted to build a big caribou for years. I have a large CNC router so would like to cut one from foam blocks, but have struggled to find decend 3D models, or even detailed plans that I could convert to a 3D model. Where did you get your original info from?
Thanks

Pieliker96

Elite member
Great work, I've also wanted to build a big caribou for years. I have a large CNC router so would like to cut one from foam blocks, but have struggled to find decend 3D models, or even detailed plans that I could convert to a 3D model. Where did you get your original info from?
Thanks

See the attachments of this reply for all of the threeviews I used.

Attachments

• AN CARIBOU 1A.pdf
    6.4 MB · Views: 0
  • AN CARIBOU 2A.pdf
    3.8 MB · Views: 0
  • de Havilland Canada C-7 Caribou.png
    de Havilland Canada C-7 Caribou.png
    71.9 KB · Views: 0
  • de Havilland Canada DHC-4 Caribou C-7A.png
    de Havilland Canada DHC-4 Caribou C-7A.png
    103.6 KB · Views: 0
  • de Havilland Canada DHC-4A Caribou.png
    de Havilland Canada DHC-4A Caribou.png
    132.5 KB · Views: 0

andrewdh

Thanks, these are great 3 views. Converting these to 3D is a lot of work! There is a perspective view that pops up occasionally and it has all the section lines for the whole plane, and that would be perfect if I could figure out how to "unperspective" it and make all the sections flat.

The caribou is such a great subject for RC because it is one of the few multi engine aircraft that is capable of low level aerobatics. Most multi engine aircraft are designed to fly straight and smooth at high altitude, not much fun for the RC pilot!

Pieliker96

Elite member
Thanks, these are great 3 views. Converting these to 3D is a lot of work! There is a perspective view that pops up occasionally and it has all the section lines for the whole plane, and that would be perfect if I could figure out how to "unperspective" it and make all the sections flat.
Photoshop has a perspective correction feature, there may be something similar in free alternatives like paint.net or GIMP - if not natively then with a plugin

andrewdh

With regard to the periodic dropping of the left wing, it seems so regular that I suspect the arduino, BEC, or receiver is overheating or partially shutting down for a moment, then coming good. I had a similar experience with a faulty esc that gave 5 volts, but not when the servos were under load. Also if you are using an arduino, or any micro controller (including the receiver), I have seen them do this too (sometimes called a "brown-out", where the voltage sags and the micro gets all upset). Poor power supplies are a major problem for all electronics as they create mysterious behaviours all over the place. Try running directly from a separate receiver battery, and test on ground with all servos driving hard back and forth. Also a bad servo or partial short somewhere can sap power from the BEC, leaving not enough for the other servos to work properly.