Userofmuchtape&glue

Posted a thousand or more times
Hey guys.

Last night I build a quad, the crusader with 4' props. I am using:

Pico blx FC
FS-A8S
Mulitstar 4 in one ESC 10A
TGY i6 radio

So I got it set up, and had a few 6 flight on it LOS. Then, while tuning PIDs and the radio on and battery plugged in the Rx lost bind with the radio.

So the symptoms:

Whenever the Tx is on, the Rx led is solid.
When the Tx is turned of the Rx blinks.

Sounds like the Rx is connected to the Tx right? Nope. no Rx shows up on my Tx, and I can change models without a 'Rx connected' warning.

I can't re-bind the Rx to the Tx, the rx acts like its being bound but it still does the above when finished.

After mucking around with it for a while today, the Tx and RC connected again. not sure why! then, they randomly broke bind again after a hour or so.

Next I tried my tgy ia6b v2 Rx using PPM. Still doesn't work. Tried HK support but no answers really, just translated English from Asia.

Can anyone tell me what is going on? if I didn't describe something please ask!

Abe

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
Are you using Betaflight? If so I will assume you flashed to the latest firmware. Then my second assumption will be that you are using an older Gui. If so this is a common and known issue with mismatched releases. If you look at beta flight when it is acting up I am nearly sure you will see it has defaulted and lost the protocol or the uart has defaulted.

The fix is to update your gui to match the latest firmware if this is the case.

Userofmuchtape&glue

Thank you Psyborg, I am indeed using betaflight configurator 10.2.0, firmware BTFL 3.0.1.

I didn't flash any firmware just plugged it in and it worked so rolled with that. I have noticed that in some cases the uart had defaulted, but I am using PPM so I don't actually use the uart ports or settings, just select PPM receiver in configuration.

So do I need to flash the board with a different firmware?

Userofmuchtape&glue

I just tried it again and one thing I should note is that whenever the Rx is acting up betaflight shows all control values as 0. ATM I am using the tgy v2 Rx, and it bound fine to the Tx.

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
I would go ahead and reflash it. Some times factory flashing can be wonky and cause strange problems. Mays well take it up to 3.3 to be sure all things are compatible and to put a fresh burn on it. That bind issue and the controls setting to zero still sounds like an incompatibility thing between gui and Firmware to me. It also seems in the back of my head and not being a spektrum guy that I have seen a video recently dealing with this problem. Maybe consulting Bardwells recent videos will help.

Userofmuchtape&glue

Okay Psy I will try and re flash it. the latest firmware for my board seems to be 3.1.7, so will use that.

Its funny because yesterday everything worked perfectly, the rx signals showed up and no weird things happened. I am still inclined to think it might be a Rx issue, as all my problems seem to stem from the Rx not binding and the lights not following the manual.

Abe

kpixels

Antigravity or bust...
Hey guys.

Last night I build a quad, the crusader with 4' props. I am using:

Pico blx FC
FS-A8S
Mulitstar 4 in one ESC 10A
TGY i6 radio

So I got it set up, and had a few 6 flight on it LOS. Then, while tuning PIDs and the radio on and battery plugged in the Rx lost bind with the radio.

So the symptoms:

Whenever the Tx is on, the Rx led is solid.
When the Tx is turned of the Rx blinks.

Sounds like the Rx is connected to the Tx right? Nope. no Rx shows up on my Tx, and I can change models without a 'Rx connected' warning.

I can't re-bind the Rx to the Tx, the rx acts like its being bound but it still does the above when finished.

After mucking around with it for a while today, the Tx and RC connected again. not sure why! then, they randomly broke bind again after a hour or so.

Next I tried my tgy ia6b v2 Rx using PPM. Still doesn't work. Tried HK support but no answers really, just translated English from Asia.

Can anyone tell me what is going on? if I didn't describe something please ask!

Abe

In your transmitter go to "System", then "RX Setup", then "Output mode". It should be set to PPM on this screen. Looks like a nice build you have there, hope this helps.

EDIT: Never mind, I didn't catch that you said you flew it, so it's probably not that. Is there a chance that you inadvertently selected a different "Model" with default not PPM?

Last edited:

Userofmuchtape&glue

Thanks kpixels, ppm was actually already on.

after talking to a HK support guy for 45mins I changed to sbus and made all the necessary changes in betaflight. Still no values in the Rx menu!

Am curious as to how my FS-A8S worked for 2 days using PPM without PPM it turned on in the radio... :confused:

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
This is one of many videos addressing Betaflight and the receiver interactions various symptoms. Hopefully there is something in that to show you what is / may be happening.

Userofmuchtape&glue

Thankyou Psyborg! I have a new Rx on the way, and desoldered my build to check for damage etc. but come tomorrow, the first of the month and more internet I'll check out that video!

Userofmuchtape&glue

So I completely rebuilt my quad just to make sure it wasn't a problem, didn't find anything but its all a bit neater now. still no luck on the R yet though... hoping the FC isn't bricked too!

P3310498.JPG

Userofmuchtape&glue

In your transmitter go to "System", then "RX Setup", then "Output mode". It should be set to PPM on this screen. Looks like a nice build you have there, hope this helps.

EDIT: Never mind, I didn't catch that you said you flew it, so it's probably not that. Is there a chance that you inadvertently selected a different "Model" with default not PPM?

Mate just saw your edit.

I have changed models a few times trying to get this sorted, but when I flew it PPM was not on so dunno how It worked!