DIATONE FPV250v3 & Co.

e_lm_70

Here is how is progressing my Diatone 17#

a6879750-12-2014-06-25-0827.jpg

a6879751-110-2014-06-25-0828.jpg

Cyberdactyl

Misfit Multirotor Monkey
Well we're basically talking about the HEXO or the Airdog, but with the capability to see what it's recording in real-time.

As I suggested, 'follow-me' may explode in popularity in regard to MRs recording sports events.

Funny thing, I spotted the suggested use of this back in early 2012 in the 2023 Weyland TED Talk speech. The clip can be viewed as separate from the film Prometheus (since it wasn't used in the film) as it's an eye-opener to how fast things are moving. The use of follow-me MRs in the clip alludes their use will be as common as a video camera in the coming years. The quickening of advancement in MRs is also an indicator of the how fast things are picking up in general.

cranialrectosis

Faster than a speeding face plant!
Mentor
Nice definition.

Anyhow, this Follow Me .. is mainly for fun ... not any special usage

I don't think it is safe to keep follow me on and do some sport activity and expect a self auto made videos out of it ... in some sense is possible .. but without supervision make to much risk.

Another usage is for own maiden video .. just put a GPS and Serial medium range transmitter on a RC airplane or RC Heli ... and have a parallel drone in follow me doing the video automatically of the RC fly ... still ... it needs 2 radios and better with supervision.

For me .. it is just for fun ...

I plan to give a phone to a kid in the park ... and let him run around ... and having the video as experiment result :p

That makes sense. I could understand FollowMe but I could not understand FollowMe on an FPV copter. I guess someone could just have a copter following another copter and be along for the ride via FS goggles, but at that point I think a split video feed would be less expensive than a second copter.

e_lm_70

Yes, you have a point ... Follow Me can have the cool effect and attract some mass.

But first, it is needed a safe MR ... that means it should be as light as a Lady Bird ... something like EPP soft like Air Hogs X4 ... but with GPS and all the tricks ...

I may come earlier then we may think ... with miniaturization we are already not far away for it ... just price need to be "cool" for the masses

cranialrectosis

Mentor
What motors are those?

Is that HUGE esc mounted with two zip ties?

The ESC says 'Upgraded FROM SimonK' emphasis added to 'from'. What firmware is on those ESCs?

Craftydan

Hostage Taker of Quads
Staff member
Mentor
I have seen someone pull a prank on another pilot by surreptitiously turning on Follow-me on someone's phone just before they went out to fly. Phone went in their back pocket as they walked away, they set the copter down, backed away and took off . . . and every time they'd move to fly away, the second they released the sticks, it would fly back.

Hilarious, yes, but totally irresponsable ;)

. . . not that that group of guys is known for their high regard for responsibility.

e_lm_70

What motors are those?

Is that HUGE esc mounted with two zip ties?

The ESC says 'Upgraded FROM SimonK' emphasis added to 'from'. What firmware is on those ESCs?

The motors are HKT2730 3000kv, the one that I use on my mini wing (1m wing) with a 4.5x4.5 prop and 3S for high speed. Doing around 200w without much problems.
I guess on 2S they may just capable to 140w ... still if my math is correct 50w per motor should be more then enough for hovering ... so 3 time more power available for some insane acrobatic ... eventually ...

With a prop adapter they look quite odd .. but ... the fact that the prop is tall maybe it is not so bad for my copter ... but vibrations are a bit amplified by it.

The copter has exactly 4 holes that could allow to fit the big qBrain ... but I don't have any long 2.5mm screw for fix the ESC, so ... two zip tie should do the job.

I will mount over a double tape (and possible some hot glue too), the DIY control board.
I'm afraid my MAG would no be so happy ...

The firmware should be BlHeli .. the SiLab version of SimonK .. actually BlHeli should be better.

I still have to solder the plug .. so I actually did made a very quick test of this ESC for now .. but it should work just fine.

I will have to run my ELMvibra on all motors .. since vibration here can be really bad, structurally bad.

Ideally a 2000kv motor with 3S LiPo, and lighter ESC (20A afro for example) should have been a better option .. but I just put in what I had on my "bench"

PS: I have seen I could even mount my 5C 2500mAh 3S Lipo .. 150g per pack .. using a couple will make a nice and light 5000mAh 3S ... maybe in case I will move to something more "smart" with better ESC and motor, I may consider the option ... it should fly for ever with 6" prop and 5000mAh 3S LiPo :eek:

Cyberdactyl

Misfit Multirotor Monkey
Looks tight and compact. What's the AUW?

But you know me, my only other comment is it's really taking a hit on the thrust column blockage. Looks up around 20% with the props sweeping over the main plates so deep.

e_lm_70

Looks tight and compact. What's the AUW?

But you know me, my only other comment is it's really taking a hit on the thrust column blockage. Looks up around 20% with the props sweeping over the main plates so deep.

The prop are around 2 inch over the arm ... it is looking really odd :black_eyed:

I made the rear prop few mm taller ... but since these prop are not the best shaped one, I still get a little touch between front and back prop only on one side ... but it should not arm in the flight ... still .. this frame should have been done a bit longer making a proper square between motors mounts.

At the moment it weight 426g ..
2S 6000mAh is 285g (just 15g less then a better 3S 5000mAh) ... but I know 3000kv motor will be less efficient with 3S then 2S
Adding camera, GPS, control board and RX ... should be just under 800g

For use a Video TX, I may need an additional 3S mini Lipo, or a step up ,,, that will weight around the same.

So .. it should be a bit over 800g ... quite a brick :black_eyed:

cranialrectosis

Mentor
I have used zip ties to secure my FCBs in a similar fashion. :)

800+ grams. Wow, that is quite a brick. My old Anycopter and Bat bone frames (400mm copters) weigh that much with camera mounts etc... For a mini-quad that is huge. Still, no reason it shouldn't fly well.

I would love to see video where I can hear these 4.5" tri blades on a 3000kv motor at 3S. I'll bet it's a screamer.

Am also interested in your DIY control board. Did you use an STM32 from Abusemark or one from ebay? No I haven't forgotten that project. I am still leaning toward trying to build my own especially since Naze 32s are in short supply these days. :)

I loved the statement on the ESCs 'upgraded FROM SimonK'. :) I suspected that was for BlHeli. I am playing with BlHeli on new eMAX escs on my Polakium quad.

e_lm_70

My mini-bee wing use same motor on 3s, but is a 2 blades APC 4.5x4.5 ... actually most of time I use 4.1x4.1 since I get longer flights ... you can hear this motor on my youtube videos, my on board video from airplane in the italian mountains have been done with this.
I should dopler speed my mini bee wing ... it should do well over 60mph ... still ... nothing too impressive

About DIY naze32 , I mainoy use the ebay stm32, since they have better shape and multiple gnd and 3.3v pin ... so they make DIY ultra easy.
About getting a real one, you need to check every day abusemark ... timecop make around 12/15 Naze32 a day, once sold, he will make a new production and sale on the next day

These Naze32 are still home made, directly from his kitchen hoven for solder the chips on the pcb

I see nobody care much of his afromini32, is same as naze32 acro, actualy smaller and with baro too ...

Use timecop stm32 board ... is possible, even better for something, due to usb plug and two leds per naze32 specs ... but still I did not figure it out a nice clean way to mount a DIY board based on this ... the ebay stm32 does look a more solid diy to put in the air

ps: Just solder and tested the qBrain and the 4 motor ... all spin in reverse ... in theory I could reverse by configuration over pc .. in practice I'm not familiar with BlHeli ... so I will just swap 4 times two cables ... this is just screwing the connectors .. this qBrain does not had solder connections ... not sure how safe could be with vibrations

pps: The 2730 motors vibrate like a hell on no load ... on no load I see over 6amp wasted power on 2S ...possibly not the most efficient motor for a quad ...

cranialrectosis

Mentor
pps: The 2730 motors vibrate like a hell on no load ... on no load I see over 6amp wasted power on 2S ...possibly not the most efficient motor for a quad ...

Bad motors or a loose mount to the airframe?

My high KV motors (I don't have any as high as 3000kv) generate less vibration than my slower motors.

cranialrectosis

Mentor
Is it possible or necessarry to tune a barometer on a multirotor due to altitude. I live at 6,300 ft (1,900 meters) and if you get a barometer here you have to adjust it for altitude or it will read wrong.

I guess if the multirotor only needs barometric pressure relative to its start point to maintain altitude it might not matter?

Cyberdactyl

Misfit Multirotor Monkey
These Naze32 are still home made, directly from his kitchen hoven for solder the chips on the pcb

I see nobody care much of his afromini32, is same as naze32 acro, actualy smaller and with baro too ...

I think it may have been Cranial, that mentioned TC's rabid hatred of DJI. It's clear his dislike has lead him to transfer that dislike to the marketplace and how his board "can't" be used with DJI products. :D

A noob coming into multirotors might think they are technically incompatible. :p

The irony is, I'm sure TC sort of hopes he can convey that confusion. :rolleyes:

e_lm_70

Is it possible or necessarry to tune a barometer on a multirotor due to altitude. I live at 6,300 ft (1,900 meters) and if you get a barometer here you have to adjust it for altitude or it will read wrong.

I guess if the multirotor only needs barometric pressure relative to its start point to maintain altitude it might not matter?

Right.

All the control board that I did check the firmware, do make a zero of altitude at startup or arming point.

Using the sensed pressure for estimate altitude is a trick, no absolute measure could be derived ... air humidity and other weather factor can change the pressure in a fix location ... so .. barometer is just a tricky but effective way for know a relative altitude .. relative to the starting point.

So, no issue on using baro at 2000m high ... I'm going to fly that high with baro soon ...

The only way to get a absolute altitude reading is via GPS ... but via GPS there is quite some error ... still eventually baro reading could be fused with GPS altitude ... some control board do this ... but not sure how many people do this

e_lm_70

I think it may have been Cranial, that mentioned TC's rabid hatred of DJI. It's clear his dislike has lead him to transfer that dislike to the marketplace and how his board "can't" be used with DJI products. :D

A noob coming into multirotors might think they are technically incompatible. :p

The irony is, I'm sure TC sort of hopes he can convey that confusion. :rolleyes:

LOL

Also my DIY projects, they can't be used with Armattan frames ;)

I never got why TimeCop "hate" DJI ... I see some old post/thread of him, in which he does analyze what it is inside the DJI control board, which as far as I know, are still the "state of art", under multiple aspects. So if TimeCop spent some time for look inside these control board, it is clearly because he did recognize them as good material for study from the "best"

e_lm_70

Micro update over the new Diatone Frame

My "crazy" set up on #17 Diatone ... died on my bench test ... I was getting some strange intermittent ESC response from couple of motors, once I did rescrew the motor connections since all the motor rotation was wrong ... the intermittent, that I was thinking was due to a non proper connection (the EMAX 4IN1 motor screw approach is terrible), did end up on constant failure (always the motor will just vibrate a bit, like when one of the 3 phase is missing)

I'm going to get a spare part for fix it, but this will no be at my place before August ... so crazy #17 project with 6000mAh 2S on a micro copter is well delayed now. So is my DIY Naze32 with Harakiri.

If I will not get again bad luck ... I should be able to maiden FPV250v3 with KK2.1 running Wifi-GPS-Follow Me Multiwii this weekend ...

I did burn couple of evening on set up this #17 ... and a dummy HW failure drop me down ... I was not having many HW failure in the past ... so ... I was not "prepared"

Still it is very odd ... this 4IN1 ESC, has removable PCB with the power FET only ... clearly one of these is defective, since I swap two, that means swap 2 motors .... and I move the failure with the PCB.
The FET are looking fine, there is not heat generated ... I did try to re-flow the soldering point with a Hot Air Soldering gun ...but .. no change at all. Since it was intermittent ... it has been working this PCB .. I can't get what could be wrong ... not sure to analyze with a meter .. maybe just one PCB line that was marginal, has gone broken ... so .. maybe it can be fixed with a little jumper ... who knows

Anyhow .. since time is against me .. I think I will give it up for now .. and focus on the 2 copters that will follow me in vacation.

e_lm_70

After a HW problem that stop me on #17 ...

Also Follow Me on MultiWii did let me down ...

Anyhow ... here is my flying FPV250v3 .. featuring KK2.1 doing UAV ... still not as clean UAV as KK2.0 ...
Not so lucky in these days ..