DIATONE FPV250v3 & Co.

e_lm_70

I have seen lot of flowers thrown over Mini Black Out, Luminier 250, and other expensive mini copter

But since a while there is a new player, that combine high quality design with affordable materials.

From the first FPV250, now there is a full new set of new frames, most of them have full anti vibration ball mount for isolate not only the camera but the main battery and eventually additional item too.

Having a critical mass in the isolated area tight to the camera, it is what make the magic of perfect jello free onboard videos.

If we add to this the latest TOPCAM low latency or no latency FullHD camera we have a perfect inexpensive high quality micro copter for FPV usage

There is even as work in progress a nice foldable micro copter too :eek:

Here is a quick preview video ... soon I will maiden these new birds

PS: In my opinion spend over 100$ for a micro frame is just crazy ... there is not a single technical reason for follow the expensive path.

Tchuss

e_lm_70

Last edited:

FlyingMonkey

Bought Another Trailer
Staff member
Admin
I'm looking forward to seeing where they take this. I am very pleased with my frame so far. Unfortunately the stock motors on the FPV250 kit from HK are a little too weak to handle the added weight of the cage, tx, and Mobius.

e_lm_70

I'm going to use ZMR 2400kv motors on the new cage version, these are the common motors for the FPV250

Here is my stock version, that has TOPCAM no cage, and it should not have a problem to take over also a Video TX

Just a bit odd to be careful on landing over camera and battery.

On the new Frame the #17 ... I plan sometime "extreme" 3000kv motor rated 20Amp ... Q-Brain 25x4 ESC ... 6x4x3 blades prop ... and 2S 6000mAh ... it should be funny if it will fly

Mainly I will maiden soon the FPV250v3 with KK2.1 doing FollowMe (so with WiFi module too) ... so quite experimental as well.

I need to fix a final full FPV with video TX before start my vacations in July ... I will take the FPV250 with me.

FinalGlideAus

terrorizing squirrels
I know we are just going to disagree like usual and I probably shouldn't weigh in but what what the heck, I'll say my bit and leave you be...

"PS: In my opinion spend over 100$ for a micro frame is just crazy ... there is not a single technical reason for follow the expensive path."

Looking at video I see a huge number of reasons for spending more.

Weight:
Those frames are heavy which reduces performance and flight times.

Durability:
Not one of those free would last a heavy impact. The plastic one just breaks and breaks and breaks. Warthox said he tried the frame concluded its price matches it's durability. The others have arms that are made from the wrong material and are way too thin. The folding version even has the half circle cutouts in the arms right where the highest loads in an impact will be! I have had some horrendous crashes with my BO quad and have not broken a single part yet. This includes hitting a telephone wire at night and falling 10 meters onto concrete as well as hitting a tree at about 70km/h and them plowing into a gravel road inverted at full throttle.

Performance upgrades:
Those arms will produce bad harmonics if you ever try to put a motor of decent power on there. My BO mini h quad is running at 5 to 1 power to weight ratio but I hope to increase that noticably soon. The frames you have could never handle that kind of power.

I understand that those frames are far cheaper and for someone on a budget or not willing to go all out on a toy then they are perfect but don't claim that they are in the same league as the top of the range versions.

Anyway I will leave you be to do the review on them. They do look like they are getting good range for the beginner/budget builder.

e_lm_70

Right, once again we disagree.

The FPV250 made of strong plastic is very strong, people did crash it at high speed and the frame did survive.

Anyhow, not everybody like to fly and crash. I personally crash very seldom, and in case, I have no problem to replace a 2$ arm then get a over 100$ frame.

Heavy, is not an issue, people put a heavy GoPro, or even Mobius+Additional CAM ... so people has no problem to waste 50g ... 50g that can be gain on a smarter components selection.

Finally ... this vibration issue and harmonic ... it is sound pure propaganda ... I have seen multiple perfect video done by FV250 also with powerful set up, you have no evidence of what you are trying to state.

I know for experience ... the bling factor , showing the money spent/wasted ... is what make people proud in the RC fields ... so yes, these people will still go for the most expensive toy

Anyhow ... if DIATONE want, they can easily made their copter of good carbon sheets ... from design point of view, these new frames show innovation and high level of attention to details.

FinalGlideAus

terrorizing squirrels
Please go through this forum to read of broken FPV250 plastic frames. Plastic is not a strong material but it is cheap so that is why it is used. That's fine but you loose durability over price.

If you doubt the harmonics issue then feel free to talk to any of the mini quad racing community from last year and they will tell you all about it when their quads changed from 2s to 3s. If your quad maker does not wish to learn from others mistakes that is their decision.

I have no need to show off my wasted "bling" as I don't care what others think. What I do care about is getting the best performance/durability setup I can which is why I spent more money. I know I can go faster and survive longer and I want to be flying not fixing. If you can prove to me those quads are half what a BO, QAV250 or RD250 is I will gladly back down.

Like I said I love the fact that there are dirt cheap options out there which allow everyone to get a taste for the wonders of mini FPV quads but these cheaper versions have distinct shortcomings compared to the top of the range versions. That is just fine if you are happy with them but just don't expect or convince others that they are they same.

Last edited:

e_lm_70

If you doubt the harmonics issue then feel free to talk to any of the mini quad racing community from last year and they will tell you all about it when their quads changed from 2s to 3s. If your quad maker does not wish to learn from others mistakes that is their decision.

These FPV250 is out since few months ... what are you speaking about ?

If you want to disagree ... present facts ... I can make reference to tons of video and cases of hard crashes ... but is looking you have nothing in your hands.
Tons of video using FPV250 are as good if not even better then the one done on expensive BO bling bling copters.

David use wood in his original tricopter ... this is already another example how is mystified the usage of carbon in the multiwcopter

Anyhow .. to crash ... is not as often as people may think ... especially if GPS , RTH, PH, etc is used in case of panic.
Even if the frame survive ... trash a 400$ GoPro3 does make sense ?

Anyhow ... even the best motor,s after few hard crashes need to be replaced ... so ... make a point of a "in theory" better durability in the crash, is a weak point.

cranialrectosis

Faster than a speeding face plant!
Mentor
I have wood frames, plastic frames and CF frames. Hopefully soon I will have a G10 frame. I can argue the merits or the shortcomings of any of them. They all have pros and cons leaving me to think that it comes down to personal preference to decide which is right for you.

Multirotors are 'geek art' and subject to the passion of the moment (as there are no legitimate commercial uses in the US yet).

It is BECAUSE we are so different, that the potential for me to learn from e_lm_70 is so high.

There is no best copter for anything. There can only be a best copter for anyone. IMO that copter is the one you built yourself for how and where you fly. As I mature as a builder/flyer/human my needs and tastes change and as they do, my best copter can also change because I embrace the learning cycle and am able to learn from people who are vastly different than I am.

These all start and end the same way as a pile of parts. In the middle is the opportunity to share our passion for flight. As in all things in life, the point is NOT the destination but the journey and sharing that journey passionately with others that matters.

cranialrectosis

Faster than a speeding face plant!
Mentor
On the new Frame the #17 ... I plan sometime "extreme" 3000kv motor rated 20Amp ... Q-Brain 25x4 ESC ... 6x4x3 blades prop ... and 2S 6000mAh ... it should be funny if it will fly

Mainly I will maiden soon the FPV250v3 with KK2.1 doing FollowMe (so with WiFi module too) ... so quite experimental as well.

Sounds like a heavy copter and a lot of experimentation. You are pushing a KK2 further than I have seen done yet. This should be fun to watch.

Have fun on vacation. Hope to see some flight video of beautiful and exotic places in August. :)

e_lm_70

I have wood frames, plastic frames and CF frames. Hopefully soon I will have a G10 frame. I can argue the merits or the shortcomings of any of them. They all have pros and cons leaving me to think that it comes down to personal preference to decide which is right for you.

Multirotors are 'geek art' and subject to the passion of the moment (as there are no legitimate commercial uses in the US yet).

It is BECAUSE we are so different, that the potential for me to learn from e_lm_70 is so high.

There is no best copter for anything. There can only be a best copter for anyone. IMO that copter is the one you built yourself for how and where you fly. As I mature as a builder/flyer/human my needs and tastes change and as they do, my best copter can also change because I embrace the learning cycle and am able to learn from people who are vastly different than I am.

These all start and end the same way as a pile of parts. In the middle is the opportunity to share our passion for flight. As in all things in life, the point is NOT the destination but the journey and sharing that journey passionately with others that matters.

Nice words

Let me add only this ... there is something to learn from everything and from everybody

e_lm_70

Sounds like a heavy copter and a lot of experimentation. You are pushing a KK2 further than I have seen done yet. This should be fun to watch.

Have fun on vacation. Hope to see some flight video of beautiful and exotic places in August. :)

:black_eyed:

Just discover that in my 4 motor boxes, one of them has inside a different motor.

Long time ago, planing to make my first quad, since I was enthusiastic of the 24g 3000kv 200w capable motor on my mini wing ... I did order 4 of them ... I was thinking to make a 100km/h flying crazy copter :eek:

Anyhow ... I may have move or used on of these motor .. damned ... I have such mess in my RC hobby room (micro 3mx3m room) that I can hardly walk inside, with multiple airplane hanging on the ceiling ... so I doubt I can find the missing motor :(

I just order a couple of these from china, EU warehouse has no stock of it ... so ... I will not get my crazy Diatone copter ready in time

Time to focus on only one , the FPV250v3 with FollowMe and WiFi module

Cyberdactyl

Misfit Multirotor Monkey
I believe 'follow me' is a hardware/software interface attached to the FCB to allow the MR to follow an external broadcast signal.

e_lm_70

Follow Me, is the MultiWii GPS function via a mobile phone, that the copter will be all time in navigation mode with target the GPS coordinate from mobile phone (mobile phone with android and gps is mandatory, but every smartphone now have gps) ... moving the phone, cause to move the copter too ... clearly it should be done with altitude holding

It is needed either some long range bluetooth, but Android MultiWii apps support also special WiFi UART adapters ... my bluetooth modules have less then 10m range, but I just got a 11$ WiFi UART module that should have over 50m range

BTW ... I found my lost 2730 3000kv motor ... actually is the little bit bad one that was on my mini wing and after a landing in a lake, I did change for one of the 4 I had (or maybe for another that I may had before as well) ... my Diatone #17 with 2730 motor + qBrain ESC is 370g , adding the 6000mAh 2S is over a 600g ... so end result will be less then 800g ... but each motor+prop should be capable to push over 400g ... hovering should be around at 6amp per motor, so I should expect 15min fly time ... let see ... this 6000mAh is possible an overrated cheap LiPo, actually are two 3000mAh 2S in parallel ... but it should be fine for over 10min fly time

Next bad surprise, is that Diatone #17 does not like much 6" prop like the FPV250 ... back and read motor are too close ... but ... even if prop will touch a bit ... I will try anyhow

e_lm_70

No, the "Follow Me" is just to allow you your own personal "selfie drone"

Nice definition.

Anyhow, this Follow Me .. is mainly for fun ... not any special usage

I don't think it is safe to keep follow me on and do some sport activity and expect a self auto made videos out of it ... in some sense is possible .. but without supervision make to much risk.

Another usage is for own maiden video .. just put a GPS and Serial medium range transmitter on a RC airplane or RC Heli ... and have a parallel drone in follow me doing the video automatically of the RC fly ... still ... it needs 2 radios and better with supervision.

For me .. it is just for fun ...

I plan to give a phone to a kid in the park ... and let him run around ... and having the video as experiment result :p