Did I get Duped?

Zaring

http://i.imgur.com/x4UFqqj.jpg

I recently started trying to get back into this hobby. I had a couple of RTF's and enjoyed them right up until I crashed them. I got scared of repairing and quit. Everything that I had is gone, so I started from scratch again.
I decided that I wanted to build a fixed wing and chose the FT Flyer to start. I went to my local hobby shop and told them what my plan was. They gave me some parts that I will list below. All in all at the moment though I have spent $270 and don't have a flying aircraft yet. I am getting frustrated, and am wondering if the hobby store ripped me off.

List of parts:
Foam cutout (working at a print shop has benefits)
Prop:9x6E prop (was told in Utah's altitude go bigger)
Motor: Flyzone Cessna Corvalis Motor W/O mount
Prop attachment: Great Planes collet Prop adapter 3.0mm to 5mm
ESC: flyzone 18 amp ESC (had to solder new connection for battery)
Battery: E-Flight 30c 2S 7.4V 450mAh
Servo's: X2 Hitec 9g HS-55 servo's.
Receiver: Spektrum AR400 Receiver
Transmitter: Spektrum DX5e transmitter
I did get a charger, some extra connections, a soldering iron with solder and a low heat hot glue gun as well.

The big question of the day is: Am I justified in feeling upset? or am I just feeling the effects of a start up + first build. I would really like some opinions about this, and if anyone has any suggestions on what I can do.

I feel that I am really close on making this work, other than the motor (the prop just doesn't feel like it is going to fit).

Let me know your thoughts, and thank you!

CrashRecovery

I'm a care bear...Really?
Mentor
No your looking about right. We all like to support our local shops but sometimes buying online the suggested parts works better for the first time buyer. I say build the ft flyer and see what happens

PHugger

Church Meal Expert
Some of your purchases are more in the tool category.
Spending on tools should be considered a long term investment.
You will have your Transmitter and Charger for a long time - money well spent.
Same goes for the Soldering iron and Glue Gun.
If you scrimp on tools you will almost certainly need to repurchase (or wish you had) before long.
Your Electronic can also live on in other planes - that's the point of swappable.

I'd suggest building another swappable. Foamboard and a few servos will get you in the air very cheaply for your 2nd plane.
Buying online is nice, but beware - the cheapest prices are almost always shipped from China....... (c8

Best regards,
PCH

whiskeyjack

Your start up costs are in the ball park for purchases made through your LHS. For a realistic comparison though look at an off shore supplier.
The real savings are in the cost of electronics, motors, ESC, batteries, receivers and radios. You can also look at USA based "on-line" suppliers which often can provide better than average pricing and free shipping within the continental USA.
Keep in mind that a lot of what you purchase at start-up are "one time" buys. This reduces your cost in subsequent builds to the point where you are just buying foam and transferring the electronics to the new plane.
For myself I purchase my hardware locally and electronics from overseas. That provides 2 benefits; I am supporting my LHS and keep my costs in line.
One last thought, I have yet to buy a prop that didn't need a little tune up to get it to fit properly on the shaft. A small round needle file is all you need or you can go all out and purchase a prop reamer. Just make sure you remove as little material as needed and keep the hole centered.
Good luck with your build and welcome to the forum. Its a great bunch of guys here and always willing to help. WJ.

Maingear

Flugzeug Liebhaber
I experienced the same reservation you have when I started back. My radio by itself was over $200. Then plastic gear servos strip out and motor shafts bend when I crashed. Located a local flying club only to find out I had to pay a tribute to the AMA before I could hand the club an annual membership due of $125.

Starting out is the worst part of this hobby, weather is a close second. Members of the club I joined identify start up cost as the #1 issue as to why their club roster runs the numbers it does. We have a club trainer and I should have utilized that service more because it came with an instructor. If you do not have a mentor to help you this frustration will grow. Reach out in your area and find someone that can walk you through future purchases and help trim out the planes you build.

The end has justified the expense of the startup.

As for your purchase, take the battery back and get a 3s. I like to walk into a local store and talk to the person I buy parts from. Unfortunatly it doubles the price of the parts. Buying replacement brand parts are more pricy than knowing the specifications for the component and buying at a discount online retailer.

Justin

Last edited:

Zaring

Thanks for all of the advise. (battery prop local vs. overseas, ext...)
I will finish the build, and look to some local guys to mentor me.
I also realized that I was trying to put the prop and motor together incorrectly ( a big contributor as to why I was upset.)

I'm still not sure if I have the best motor/prop combo. seems to me if I go nose first the prop is going to break and the motor is going to dig in. I'm also not sure if I need a motor mount...

http://i.imgur.com/ZIKrnyz.jpg

Thanks again for the words of encouragement.

TexasTeacher

Ready to Crash
Thanks for all of the advise. (battery prop local vs. overseas, ext...)
I will finish the build, and look to some local guys to mentor me.
I also realized that I was trying to put the prop and motor together incorrectly ( a big contributor as to why I was upset.)

I'm still not sure if I have the best motor/prop combo. seems to me if I go nose first the prop is going to break and the motor is going to dig in. I'm also not sure if I need a motor mount...

http://i.imgur.com/ZIKrnyz.jpg

Thanks again for the words of encouragement.

By motor mount do you mean a firewall like on the ft flyer plans? I made one with a 3D printer I have access to. PM me and I'll send ya one.

That shaft seems a bit long to me

xuzme720

Dedicated foam bender
Mentor
That motor is meant to bolt the prop right on the motor shaft. If you want to use the adapter they sold you, cut the motor shaft down so the back of the collet sits against the motor can...or get a prop saver type adapter which will not always save props, but WILL usually save you from a bent motor shaft!

510thousandths

Just someone else.
Mentor
to save you some more money, props and a prop saver are what you'll want. I started out the same as you, with the nutball and ftflyer and broke A LOT of props! The APC props get expensive after 5 to 10 of them (yes, you will break that many), look for GWS props. They are cheaper and preform well at the power level of the ft flyer. And a prop saver that uses an o-ring to hold the prop on.

Value hobby is a great place to look.
3mm propsaver http://www.valuehobby.com/3mm-prop-savers.html

GWS style prop. http://www.valuehobby.com/accessories/props/9-x-5-direct-drive-prop.html

I know the last thing you wanted to hear is "spend more money"...and I hear you, but start with cheap componets, build a couple of ft-flyers (or 3) and crash them until you learn how to not crash them ( or a lot less often)

Zaring

Update #1: I was able to fly today.

Update #2: I crashed in a fantastic fashion.

Everything worked well enough. I expected to break it on my first flight, and I wasn't disappointed.
It took a nose dive and smashed the foam power pod and cracked my firewall. Lucky for me I have access to all the materials that I need to get it up in the air again.

Thanks for everyone's help. The forum really helped me out in getting my plane off the ground.
Thank you!

Balu

Lurker
Staff member
Admin
Yes, we can help you getting anything from the ground, but the getting it into the ground is everyones own experience.