Did you read the January newsletter?

SSgt Duramax

Mr.Grinch

I’m not trying to be overly negative and bash on FT for no more free plans. I do know what was and is still available here and across the web and I’m not trying to discount anything provided previously. I am a paid member of the FTCA and will continue to do so even though I have only used one coupon for the perks and don’t anticipate them being much benefit to me in the future. I’m mainly just saying that I think the pricing seems a little steep to me in general towards the masses. Like I said before, I know I can afford the prices, but many others will balk weather from lack of funds or entitlement. I had not listened to the podcast as it wasn’t released until today and I’m not able to watch it live on YouTube. I understand the vagueness about the occasional discounts, providing opportunity to be flexible, but, lack of info can also be detrimental.

Rasterize

Maker of skins and decals for foam board RC planes
Mentor
To spdxdmn post about, as well as some things Lee said in the podcast that got me to thinking. It is my hope that, as this plays out, the price points of $6 and $12 will expand to include a larger price point range (say maybe $3 to $25) depending on the aircraft, its complexity, and time to develop. This along with some sort of transferable credit system would go far to adding value and flexibility. IMHO.

SSgt Duramax

It was one of the last two. Sorry, I'm not sure which one, or where in the podcast. Am I helpful, or what?!! (n)

Well one of the codes in the perk package was an easter egg too. So we shall see.

I’m not trying to be overly negative and bash on FT for no more free plans. I do know what was and is still available here and across the web and I’m not trying to discount anything provided previously. I am a paid member of the FTCA and will continue to do so even though I have only used one coupon for the perks and don’t anticipate them being much benefit to me in the future. I’m mainly just saying that I think the pricing seems a little steep to me in general towards the masses. Like I said before, I know I can afford the prices, but many others will balk weather from lack of funds or entitlement. I had not listened to the podcast as it wasn’t released until today and I’m not able to watch it live on YouTube. I understand the vagueness about the occasional discounts, providing opportunity to be flexible, but, lack of info can also be detrimental.

I think the vagueness was intentional, and probably a good thing. It can be interpreted however you want though. They kind of have to be vague, or else everyone will be like:

DO YOU REMEMBER WHAT YOU BREIFLY MENTIONED IN THE PODCAST OR IN A RANDOM EMAIL, THAT IS NOW GOSPEL AND YOU MUST ABIDE BY YOUR WORD.... CUZ I SAID

But I think that gives them room to drop prices or do occasional giveaways or something too. They could make plans a prize for a challenge or something like that too. I do agree $12 is steep for non-aircrew, and maybe even $6 is a little steep for the air crew since you are already supporting, but it is their business, and like I said, the vagueness allows them to adjust that later if they want, and they can give away "credits" as they see fit to adjust the real pricing.

Does it disincentivize paid membership? I am sure for the ones that became supporters partially for the plans it does. Personally, $24 dollars is a drop in the bucket, but to some it isn't.

**This next part is only geared toward people who want to financially support partially or fully for the reason of receiving plans**

So if you are paying $24 to get plans, then you have another $6 charge on top of that, your first set of plans just cost $30, if you buy two sets, that cost drops to $18, three $14, and 4 $12.

So if you plan on buying more than 4 sets of plans, it would be worth it to become Aircrew, if you plan on buying less per year, then it would not be worth it. Plus, it circumvents the previous idea that "once you miss a perk it is gone." So one could wait a while, pay the $24, then buy everything at the discounted rate for the year, then cancel after that. Food for thought.

To spdxdmn post about, as well as some things Lee said in the podcast that got me to thinking. It is my hope that, as this plays out, the price points of $6 and $12 will expand to include a larger price point range (say maybe $3 to $25) depending on the aircraft, its complexity, and time to develop. This along with some sort of transferable credit system would go far to adding value and flexibility. IMHO.

I Agree, I think things were intentionally left vague for specifically what you state.

Draftman1

Good question. As of now, the answer is no. The Master Series type of aircraft are John Overstereets designs. As Josh posted this on Facebook yesterday: "John’s designs are his and are sold as kits only based on our agreement/partnership. FT in house designs are what will be available. "

I would also point out to all that John's designs do not fall under the "But You Promised Free Plans" argument. John never made such a promise or statement.
Thanks, just wanted to clear that up,

Promise of plans?? I never questioned that,

It’s rediculouse that people are still expecting the original promise. Times have changed guys, deal with it
Pay it! Get out of the hobby Or develope you own! Sorry about being harsh but the original promise doesn’t work anymore and it’s FT right to change it

FoamyDM

Building Fool-Flying Noob
... But I don't see a lot of build nights being posted online. Where's the pictures and videos of FT community members sitting down with a church youth group or a scout troop, and showing them how much fun building from foam board can be?

The closest I've seen is the guys doing podcasts hosting virtual build nights. And this is a good thing, but not exactly what I think Josh had in mind when he made the free plans promise.

The Aviation RC Noob Podcast promotes monthly virtual Build Nights. As an opportunity to bring this minded community together some more, face to face (ish). As a host of the podcast I enjoy the opportunity to meet and build with our Listeners. I also host a STEM build night with my Cub scouts every year (Pack 745). The article linked helps you get yours started too! Sadly, @FlyingMonkey you may be right. I don't see much promotion.

With Cubs, it's pictures of kids stuff. also in Fayetteville NC, there are some parents that have a military enforced no-internet presence and in those years we have far fewer pictures to share.

but that doesn't explain that people aren't at least posting these types of pics:
1642191706793.png

turned into THIS:
1642191670203.png

If you are doing this PLEASE share and post. Often times our reach may seem small (5 or 10 other people.) but remember each of those people can reach others as well. From my Favorite Movie the power of One. When the main character asks how one person will make a difference his reply is, "a waterfall starts with just one droplet of water, and look what comes from that."

FlyingMonkey

Bought Another Trailer
Staff member
Admin
I fully believe flite-test should include in the news letter something that's free. but that THING doesn't need to be plane plans. I thought the rivet maker was awesome.

I thought the rivet maker was awesome too, even though I likely would never use it.

It's sort of like the prize in the old Cracker Jack box. You never knew what you'd get.

It was sad to see how hostile some people were when they realized that was the perk that month.

FlyingMonkey

Bought Another Trailer
Staff member
Admin
What matters is that those members feel they're getting some value out of being a member

I've expressed my opinion on this, and I bet Lee cringed when I said it.

I completely agree, but the trouble is, that the FTCA is so new, at this point the value of joining the FTCA is that we're getting in on the ground floor and we can help shape it to be what we want.

If you want a fully formed organization that has something tangible when you join, then there's the AMA.

They're not going to fight for people who aren't flying at AMA fields though. That's where their bread and butter is. Those of us flying at ball parks and woodlands, farm fields and parking lots are not the ones keeping the AMA in business.

Flite Test, and the FTCA on the other hand has a financial reason to fight for us in Washington (where the AMA very much has a financial reason to want to see the restrictions in place). Flite Test's customer base is the backyard barnstormers, and soccer field pilots that would be most harshly affected if/when Remote ID goes into place.

Of course, whether you are a paid FTCA member, or not, if Flite Test has any success in helping us, then you'll benefit. I've personally decided to support them financially, and I'm trying to support them locally. I want to see local FTCA fields, and have been fortunate that the county thought that having an RC flying field was worthwhile. We'll see if my community here wants to be part of it. It's been fairly popular so far.

SSgt Duramax

The Aviation RC Noob Podcast promotes monthly virtual Build Nights. As an opportunity to bring this minded community together some more, face to face (ish). As a host of the podcast I enjoy the opportunity to meet and build with our Listeners. I also host a STEM build night with my Cub scouts every year (Pack 745). The article linked helps you get yours started too! Sadly, @FlyingMonkey you may be right. I don't see much promotion.

With Cubs, it's pictures of kids stuff. also in Fayetteville NC, there are some parents that have a military enforced no-internet presence and in those years we have far fewer pictures to share.

but that doesn't explain that people aren't at least posting these types of pics:
View attachment 215668
turned into THIS:
View attachment 215667

If you are doing this PLEASE share and post. Often times our reach may seem small (5 or 10 other people.) but remember each of those people can reach others as well. From my Favorite Movie the power of One. When the main character asks how one person will make a difference his reply is, "a waterfall starts with just one droplet of water, and look what comes from that."
I try too. I fly at the local sports complex a ton, and I get comments all the time. I always tell folks if they buy a radio I'll build them a plane. I have let some strangers buddy box with me too. I've only built one plane so far, but I have parts to build a few more to give away. Its kind of cool to be able to do that. I don't make lots of videos though, and "buddy boxing with a stranger" isn't something I would want to post online anyway.

rcmanic

Good question. As of now, the answer is no. The Master Series type of aircraft are John Overstereets designs. As Josh posted this on Facebook yesterday: "John’s designs are his and are sold as kits only based on our agreement/partnership. FT in house designs are what will be available. "

Although Draftman1's post did not mention it, I would also point out to all that John's designs do not fall under the "But You Promised Free Plans" argument. John never made such a promise or statement.
Not exactly. On Rcgroups, many people asked when Overstreet was going ro release plans, and he stated it was out of his hands and up to FT. So it seems there is some waffling. I got the impression that Overstreet doesn't have any issue with plans being released.

FlyingMonkey

Bought Another Trailer
Staff member
Admin
Not exactly. On Rcgroups, many people asked when Overstreet was going ro release plans, and he stated it was out of his hands and up to FT. So it seems there is some waffling. I got the impression that Overstreet doesn't have any issue with plans being released.

Do you have a link to that post?

CappyAmeric

Elite member
If I had the talent that John has (I can’t really imagine such a thing), I would never release my plans: just like when I wrote apps for the Apple App Store, I didn‘t give away the code I wrote. If your art is highly sought after, it is worth more than giving it away. “…for the laborer deserves his wages...” Luke 10:7b

Last edited:

rcmanic

Where in that post are plans mentioned? That just said release dates, which I read as the release of the kits.
Read all 20+ pages of thread. Thats why I stated I got the "impression".
Anyways, semantic. What I was trying ro get is that FT is stating mater series controlled by Overstreet, while Overstreet states FT controls.
Perhaps if Overstreet controls the plans, he could sell them at his discretion?