Different twist to the Battleship Bombing video

Hoomi

Master member
I started thinking, after watching the recent video with the huge battleship, and the attempts to drop bombs on it from the RC planes, of a slightly different twist on RC bombing.

Guided RC bombs.

The design I have in mind would be something of a glide bomb, with enough wing to extend to the flight distance once dropped, and to provide anti-roll stability. The nose would be a Nerf-like foam, to absorb impact shock and protect the internal electronics. A small FPV rig and micro RC receiver/servos would be used for the guidance, allowing a second pilot to guide the bomb once the plane pilot releases. Power for the bomb, since its flight would be relatively short, could possibly come from a super-capacitor, which, if needed, could be kept charged by the plane until release. 2 channel control would allow the guiding pilot to make final course corrections as the bomb drops towards the target.

I don't have any real experience in FPV gear, as my drones are primarily photographic drones and not set up for racing, and the cameras I have for my planes are strictly record, with the video being played off the micro SD card afterwards. I'm not even sure if, with my glasses Rx, if I could focus well enough in FPV goggles to use them, but I think for those who can, this would be doable.

With electronics on board, this wouldn't be a good idea to drop on a floating target, but for, say, attacking the tank, or even just a hoop target, I could see it being a fun challenge. It would require good communication between the bomb pilot and the plane pilot, coordinating the best approach angle and moment of drop. You only get one chance, once the bomb is dropped, and different bombing modes could be incorporated to add additional levels of challenge, such as "lobbing the bomb," (releasing the bomb while climbing to extend its range), obstructed target requiring a turn from release vector to zero in, etc.

Thoughts?

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
With a good flight controller and enough power you can get anything to fly.

They could attach them big ole farm quad motors to a recliner and probably fly themselves around the property if they wanted.

Arcfyre

Elite member
I started thinking, after watching the recent video with the huge battleship, and the attempts to drop bombs on it from the RC planes, of a slightly different twist on RC bombing.

Guided RC bombs.

The design I have in mind would be something of a glide bomb, with enough wing to extend to the flight distance once dropped, and to provide anti-roll stability. The nose would be a Nerf-like foam, to absorb impact shock and protect the internal electronics. A small FPV rig and micro RC receiver/servos would be used for the guidance, allowing a second pilot to guide the bomb once the plane pilot releases. Power for the bomb, since its flight would be relatively short, could possibly come from a super-capacitor, which, if needed, could be kept charged by the plane until release. 2 channel control would allow the guiding pilot to make final course corrections as the bomb drops towards the target.

I don't have any real experience in FPV gear, as my drones are primarily photographic drones and not set up for racing, and the cameras I have for my planes are strictly record, with the video being played off the micro SD card afterwards. I'm not even sure if, with my glasses Rx, if I could focus well enough in FPV goggles to use them, but I think for those who can, this would be doable.

With electronics on board, this wouldn't be a good idea to drop on a floating target, but for, say, attacking the tank, or even just a hoop target, I could see it being a fun challenge. It would require good communication between the bomb pilot and the plane pilot, coordinating the best approach angle and moment of drop. You only get one chance, once the bomb is dropped, and different bombing modes could be incorporated to add additional levels of challenge, such as "lobbing the bomb," (releasing the bomb while climbing to extend its range), obstructed target requiring a turn from release vector to zero in, etc.

Thoughts?

They did just that a long time ago in an old episode.

Hoomi

Master member
They did just that a long time ago in an old episode.
I suppose that doesn't surprise me. It's not like it's that outrageous an idea (not that outrageous has ever seemed to stop the Flite Test crew).

I haven't watched it yet, but I finally noticed it over on YouTube this evening. I hadn't seen it before.

CarolineTyler

Legendary member

Guided RC bombs.

Thoughts?
Flitetest did try this a while back - the results were........variable but fun!!