Differential thrust mix to right stick

basslord1124

Master member
So, I've got a cool idea for a winter project and got a question regarding differential thrust and mixing on my Spektrum DX6

Is it possible for my left stick to still be throttle on both motors BUT use the right stick (left/right direction) to use as my rudder? My radio is sort of already programmed for the conventional way of differential thrust but I just want to change direction to the right stick.

Dante

you could try to use an external vtail/elevon mixer. It'll only run you about 5 bucks. It sounds like you are trying to make a snow skimmer or hovercraft or airboat. Is that what you're going to make?

Chappie66

So, I've got a cool idea for a winter project and got a question regarding differential thrust and mixing on my Spektrum DX6

Is it possible for my left stick to still be throttle on both motors BUT use the right stick (left/right direction) to use as my rudder? My radio is sort of already programmed for the conventional way of differential thrust but I just want to change direction to the right stick.
Here is a good write up on differential thrust on the DX6. Just swap rudder for Aileron.

https://forum.flitetest.com/index.php?threads/differential-thrust-programming-for-dx6e.33611/

basslord1124

Master member
Thanks guys, I'll definitely check it out. I found a youtube video that showed me how to do it on my DX6...and it's been so long since I had done it, I'd have to look it back up again. But it sounds like it should be an easy switch.

@Dante ...you got it basically! I'm gonna take my FT Super Bee scraps (it was crashed and lost, but later found), well the motors/ESCs, and use those in a foamboard differential thrust snow cruiser. Gonna do kinda like a flatbottom design with a nice upward bow in the front...sorta like the floats on the FT Seaduck, but bigger. I figure the differential thrust should be fun for doing spins in the snow. :D

Dante

I've made a few of these, though but by no means am I an expert.
Here's my 2 cents-
I would recommend making a wide flat bottom (you need this to stay on top of fluffy snow) with angled sides (not vertical sides, which dig into the snow and make it tip over). Tipping over isn't terrible but it means you have to walk across smooth snow which ruins the driving surface. There is a balance which I have not yet found on the height of the bow. Too low and it will dig into the snow, and too high and it will catch air and flip over backwards at any sort of high speeds you will be reaching with super bee motors. Use packing tape on the bottom, even for the first test because hidden sticks will ruin the foam. Also, a mistake I have made was not waterproofing electronics. This is not necessary if you make seperate partitions for the receiver and esc away from the battery. I often get snow inside the vehicle when plugging in the battery, or when moving it around to change the center of gravity. The snow then melts quickly on the warm esc. You do not need to waterproof the servos (if you even have physical rudders) unless you expect this boat/skimmer will still be around in the summer to drive on a pond, lake, or pool.
Try to keep the thrust line as low as possible (no up or down angle though). Basically just mount the motors so the props just barely clear the deck. This will lower the risk of digging into the snow or flipping over.
Just my thoughts- Please post in here if you figure out how to minimize flips, too, because I never know how to stop them other than slowing down which is no fun.
PS: Can we see some pictures when you have some finished so we can get some inspiration for winter projects?
PPS: jumps only sometimes work if you cut the motor in midair. If you give throttle it will pile drive into the ground. (trying to help save a couple sticks of hot glue)

basslord1124

Master member
Awesome... Thanks for the tips @Dante ! I will try and share any pics, videos, and anything else during the process. I thought about this as a snow RC for now... BUT, if I can get any kinks worked out, I may try it out in water too.

As for the electronics, I have seen some people just strapping Tupperware to the top of it and putting their electronics in that. I may try a similar approach, but try and make it neater. Maybe build the foam up around the Tupperware.

I originally fixed up the SuperBee with a 4 cell but it was just way too speedy for me at the time. Tis why it met its demise like it did.... so for this, it'll be running 3 cell. I'm sure it'll still be plenty fast though. I can run either a 1600 or 2200, I figure that can help with keeping some weight on it to prevent it from trying to go airborne.

Dante

(y) Good Idea! tupperware worked for me on water for a while, but over time when I opened it drips got in. i suppose it will work fairly well for snow though. good luck!