Difficulties of a newbie trying to learn the hobby

bmicklos

I am still a newbie in the hobby. I have built 3 different foam scratch builds. First was the FT Flyer, followed by the FT Delta, and the swappable smash drone. Unfortunately, I still have not had a successful flight over 2 minutes with any of them, but that is not to say that I have not learned from those failed experiences. Also, I find myself more successful and preferring to fly from the plane cockpit camera view on the sim over the ground view when starting to practice on a simulator.

First attempt, FT Flyer (Link here) - I built it and knew that it might have issues since I was new to the hobby, but I was optimistic. I balanced the CG (or so I thought), did my controls check and everything moved the directions it was supposed to. Maiden Flight Time - Power up the motor, "here we go!", hand launched it and it immediately looked like a 3D plan doing a hover. I tried correcting things on the control sticks, panicked, and kept over-correcting and it crashed about 15 seconds after it left my hand. I replaced broken props, and repeated this cycle many, many, many ... many times. Hindsight, my push rods were not measured exactly and the servo horns were not perpendicular to the plane's fuselage which caused uneven throws for the elevator and rudder. Also, I did not adjust expo rates on the controller to make things any easier on myself.
Lessons learned:
1) Make sure to use softer slow fly props that wont break as easily and prop-savers (carry lots of small rubber bands too!!).
2) Measure the push rods more precisely or use linkage stoppers.
3) It is better to be slightly nose heavy than tail heavy.
4) It is a challenge to develop the mindset of only making small correctional inputs on the controls, but less is definitely more.

Second attempt, FT Delta Wing (Link here) - After a short break from flying due to life getting in the way. I came back to it and thought, maybe it was the style of plane making it hard to fly. My uncle flies a lot of versa wing variants and always said how easy they are to fly. So the next logical choice for me was to build a wing .. enter the Delta Wing!! I was re-excited and ready to fly, again. It took a few hours to build the plane, and the swappable power pod fit perfectly. Got to the flying field, went through my pre-flight checks and everything was good to go. Made sure the CG was close to center and slightly forward to make it slightly nose heavy. Maiden Flight Time - Power up the motor, hand launch, everything looks good! its gaining altitude. About 50 feet off the ground, a breeze catches it, it does a barrel roll and nose dives into the ground breaking the wing, power pod, and prop. *sigh* Back to the drawing board.
Lessons learned:
1) Delta wings fly different than versa wings
2) Same as the FT Flyer, make small corrections!!
3) Having the prop on the front of the plane means it is more likely to break during a crash.
4) Glide test your planes to see its glide properties.
5) Practice on a simulator first!!

Third attempt, Swappable Smash Drone (Link here) - The name says it all. It's a pusher style glider similar to a bixler. Motor and prop not on the front means, they are more protected during a crash. That's a plus for me! Slightly more challenging build since it didn't have the step-by-step instructions like the FT planes, but not too difficult to figure out. Got it built, glide tested it in the back yard and it floats effortlessly!! Alright, time for the true test. Maiden Flight Time - pre-flight control check ... check! CG balanced .. check! Power... check! Launch! It flew for about a minute and a half before one of the control linkages came loose and sent it into a downward spiral. Best news!! NOTHING BROKE!!!! FINALLY!!!
Lessons Learned:
1) I do better with Pusher style planes to save my props.
2) Could have used slightly more weight in the nose and/or a bigger battery.
3) Keep flying and keep practicing.

Hopefully, my lessons learned can help others or gave people a little laugh.

I would appreciate any feedback and tips to help me get better at flying and be able to enjoy this awesome hobby even more.
Any tips on how to move away from relying on the cockpit view in the simulator to fly it from ground view, like I would at a flying field?
Or would it be better to just go all in and try to fly everything FPV?

Thanks for reading!

Hondo76251

Legendary member
Any tips on how to move away from relying on the cockpit view in the simulator to fly it from ground view, like I would at a flying field?

Learning to fly from the ground just takes time. FPV is a blast but its an added layer of complication thats better tackled after you've gained a bit more stick time.

M

MCNC

I had a very difficult time learning to fly. A free very simple flight simulator helped me the most. Not a gamer, so managing sticks was/is alien. Getting used to controlling a plane flying toward you then away from you is not easy. Having a larger than needed field size and soft vegetation to crash into increases your chances to retry after a crash.

Merv

Site Moderator
Staff member
.... My uncle flies a lot of versa wing ....
One of the best ways to learn to fly is with an experienced pilot. Your uncle would be perfect to buddy box with.

Practice, practice, practice. Rebuilding on a simulator is much easier.

Bricks

Master member
Made sure the CG was close to center and slightly forward to make it slightly nose heavy.

Problem by moving the CG forward you made it tail heavy.

bisco

Elite member
I am still a newbie in the hobby. I have built 3 different foam scratch builds. First was the FT Flyer, followed by the FT Delta, and the swappable smash drone. Unfortunately, I still have not had a successful flight over 2 minutes with any of them, but that is not to say that I have not learned from those failed experiences. Also, I find myself more successful and preferring to fly from the plane cockpit camera view on the sim over the ground view when starting to practice on a simulator.

First attempt, FT Flyer (Link here) - I built it and knew that it might have issues since I was new to the hobby, but I was optimistic. I balanced the CG (or so I thought), did my controls check and everything moved the directions it was supposed to. Maiden Flight Time - Power up the motor, "here we go!", hand launched it and it immediately looked like a 3D plan doing a hover. I tried correcting things on the control sticks, panicked, and kept over-correcting and it crashed about 15 seconds after it left my hand. I replaced broken props, and repeated this cycle many, many, many ... many times. Hindsight, my push rods were not measured exactly and the servo horns were not perpendicular to the plane's fuselage which caused uneven throws for the elevator and rudder. Also, I did not adjust expo rates on the controller to make things any easier on myself.
Lessons learned:
1) Make sure to use softer slow fly props that wont break as easily and prop-savers (carry lots of small rubber bands too!!).
2) Measure the push rods more precisely or use linkage stoppers.
3) It is better to be slightly nose heavy than tail heavy.
4) It is a challenge to develop the mindset of only making small correctional inputs on the controls, but less is definitely more.

Second attempt, FT Delta Wing (Link here) - After a short break from flying due to life getting in the way. I came back to it and thought, maybe it was the style of plane making it hard to fly. My uncle flies a lot of versa wing variants and always said how easy they are to fly. So the next logical choice for me was to build a wing .. enter the Delta Wing!! I was re-excited and ready to fly, again. It took a few hours to build the plane, and the swappable power pod fit perfectly. Got to the flying field, went through my pre-flight checks and everything was good to go. Made sure the CG was close to center and slightly forward to make it slightly nose heavy. Maiden Flight Time - Power up the motor, hand launch, everything looks good! its gaining altitude. About 50 feet off the ground, a breeze catches it, it does a barrel roll and nose dives into the ground breaking the wing, power pod, and prop. *sigh* Back to the drawing board.
Lessons learned:
1) Delta wings fly different than versa wings
2) Same as the FT Flyer, make small corrections!!
3) Having the prop on the front of the plane means it is more likely to break during a crash.
4) Glide test your planes to see its glide properties.
5) Practice on a simulator first!!

Third attempt, Swappable Smash Drone (Link here) - The name says it all. It's a pusher style glider similar to a bixler. Motor and prop not on the front means, they are more protected during a crash. That's a plus for me! Slightly more challenging build since it didn't have the step-by-step instructions like the FT planes, but not too difficult to figure out. Got it built, glide tested it in the back yard and it floats effortlessly!! Alright, time for the true test. Maiden Flight Time - pre-flight control check ... check! CG balanced .. check! Power... check! Launch! It flew for about a minute and a half before one of the control linkages came loose and sent it into a downward spiral. Best news!! NOTHING BROKE!!!! FINALLY!!!
Lessons Learned:
1) I do better with Pusher style planes to save my props.
2) Could have used slightly more weight in the nose and/or a bigger battery.
3) Keep flying and keep practicing.

Hopefully, my lessons learned can help others or gave people a little laugh.

I would appreciate any feedback and tips to help me get better at flying and be able to enjoy this awesome hobby even more.

Thanks for reading!
for me, the biggest issue from ground view was orientation, and getting my brain used to reversing the controls when the plane is coming toward you as opposed to going away.
a chear 2 channel rtf, or even ground buggy can train your brain. after a year and a half, my thumbs no longer have to ask my brain what to do.

quorneng

Master member
About 50 feet off the ground, a breeze catches it, it does a barrel roll and nose dives into the ground
A breeze is unlikely to make a plane that is flying reasonably well do a barrel roll. Much more likely is it slowed down during the climb and stalled.
I presume you launched the plane at full power. In a climb some of that power is used to make it climb leaving a bit less to maintain its speed so it will slow down a bit. If the climb rate is increased, whether commanded by you or not, it will slow down some more and sooner or later it will have insufficient air speed to continue flying properly.
Recognising if a plane is slowing down too much, along with quite a few other things, is part of the skill of RC flying and it takes time to learn how to recognise them. It is the reason why learning to fly by yourself means not that you might crash but that you will!

So keep doing what you are doing but always try and learn by each 'experience'.
Each time ask yourself was it me? or the plane? or something else?
Be critical. It is all too easy to blame anything but yourself!

bmicklos

Made sure the CG was close to center and slightly forward to make it slightly nose heavy.

Problem by moving the CG forward you made it tail heavy.

I probably described that wrong... I didn't move the CG. I just balanced it at the CG point and slightly forward of the CG point so it was slightly nose heavy.

I remember seeing Josh mention in one video it is better to be slightly nose heavy and if it is nose heavy, to fly giving it a little "up" on the elevator controls.

bmicklos

A breeze is unlikely to make a plane that is flying reasonably well do a barrel roll. Much more likely is it slowed down during the climb and stalled.
I presume you launched the plane at full power. In a climb some of that power is used to make it climb leaving a bit less to maintain its speed so it will slow down a bit. If the climb rate is increased, whether commanded by you or not, it will slow down some more and sooner or later it will have insufficient air speed to continue flying properly.
Recognising if a plane is slowing down too much, along with quite a few other things, is part of the skill of RC flying and it takes time to learn how to recognise them. It is the reason why learning to fly by yourself means not that you might crash but that you will!

So keep doing what you are doing but always try and learn by each 'experience'.
Each time ask yourself was it me? or the plane? or something else?
Be critical. It is all too easy to blame anything but yourself!

Thank you for the feedback and advice!!

I already realized that a lot of the errors and mistakes come from situations created by my inexperience with flying. Some might have been mistakes I made in building the planes or pre-flight setup the plane and electronics. Every trip out to the field is a learning experience and I plan to just keep at it.

Seems like my motto should be - "Build, Fly, Crash, Learn, Repair, & Repeat!"

lol

Aslansmonkey

My advice...keep trying. Keep building, keep making the attempts. You get better with every one.

Having an experienced flyer with you to guide you or maiden your planes to trim them for you helps, of course. But in the end it's your perseverance that will win the day.

I probably had 6 planes in the dumpster before I had one I could fly with any consistency. And I put more in the dumpster after that too. Now...MOST things fly for me but I still make mistakes. A bad toss sent my new Flerken into the ground, for example. It's fixed now but I've had a lot of early planes that flew with many battle scars.

That's the beauty of foamboard. Cheap to build, easy to fix.

Welcome to the club.

SSgt Duramax

Don't get discouraged. I had to go through several designs before I found one I liked. It could be you aren't building the right planes, or there are little things off that make it not fly right.

I am better at flying my P-40 than most 3Ch trainers. I just think I am better at flying 4 ch planes. Low wing loading and slow are key.

FlamingRCAirplanes

Elite member
Don't get discouraged. I had to go through several designs before I found one I liked. It could be you aren't building the right planes, or there are little things off that make it not fly right.

I am better at flying my P-40 than most 3Ch trainers. I just think I am better at flying 4 ch planes. Low wing loading and slow are key.
I also do better with 4 channel.

checkerboardflyer

I first learned to fly many years ago on a Goldberg Falcon 56. Had a glow engine. In addition to glow fuel, battery, starter, and glow plugs I would bring 5 minute epoxy and a couple popsicle sticks to mix it. I would take off, fly around a bit, then crash and make repairs. Then repeat the process again. And again. I had an instructor at the time, but that was before buddy boxes. So I would be flying, then get into trouble and hand the transmitter to him. But sometimes it was too late.

At some point you will be a good flyer and be able to spend time thinking about your next build. After the Falcon 56 I built a couple other Goldberg models. One that I enjoyed much was the Goldberg Sky Tiger. Fantastic flyer! Stick with it. You’ll have some frustrating days and some rewarding days. Good luck. This is a great hobby with a lot of great people to learn from. More resources for foam board RC modelers on my blog: https://foamboardflyers.com

4-goldberg-sky-tiger.jpeg

Pjbaker

Don't know if this thread is still active but had a question. I just built an FT Sportster. It flies okay but I can't seem to figure out the CG. I think it is a bit nose heavy but I marked the CG according to their planes and I believe balanced it out at those marks (it seems to be very close though with just a little movement of my finger it goes tail heavy vs. nose heavy). I have had it in the air for several flights but I've given it up elevator trim for fairly level flights but it I have to really maintain the controls (which with all my other planes that hasn't been the case when I flew gas and much heavier planes). I'm afraid to let go of the controls because it will nose down or drop a wing tip. When I give it more juice it jumps up in the air and starts to really gain altitude but if I drop the throttle it drops its nose and starts to dive really quick (thus I just crashed it because I got too close to the ground, cut the throttle and didn't have enough room to recover - luckily not bad damage but broke out the engine mount because the battery came loose). Anyway, from what I've explained of the flight characteristics, can you tell me if the plane's nose is heavy or the tail's heavy in the air?

Aslansmonkey

The CG of the Sportster should be at the front line of the spar. If you built it with the creased upper wing it'll be inline with the forward crease. As a lower wing plane, it's probably easier to balance with the plane upside down. Optimally, however, you don't want an EXACT balance at that point. Instead you want it to be slightly nose heavy at that point.

It's a short, broad wing plane so it will be a little less stable than others, but this difference is primarily in the roll axis, not the pitch axis, which is what you are experiencing.

Your description makes it sound tail heavy, but there could be other factors affecting it too. If the tail plane is not parallel with the bottom of the wings, for instance, this will affect pitch trimming. That's more difficult to do with this plane but not out of the question.

I say recheck your CG by flipping the plane upside down and using the fold point as I mentioned, see if that helps.

I like the sportster, and have a mini and a 90% version of the bigger one (I printed it poster on 11x17 paper and had to reduce it to 90% to get it to tile correctly) and both fly well.

Piotrsko

Master member
If you're doing this on your own: get a cheap toy RC car with proper steering and practice slalom both towards and away. When you get good enough to not crash, you wont have issues with planes. Or you can always have the transmitter face the direction the plane is flying. Looking over your shoulder works. I had a friend that held the transmitter backwards until he dropped it.

The plane must be stable enough to have a mild hands off climb on medium throttle and be capable of flying itself for a couple of minutes. If you stop transmitter stick input, it should return to level flight. Then you do lazy easy turns and be high enough that a mistake wont eat all your height. We used to say 3 mistakes high. Landing is basically turning the motor off until you run out of altitude.

Bricks

Master member
How heavy is the plane and how slow are you flying when it drops the nose? You say it climbs like crazy when power is applied it may be just a bit heavy and need more speed to fly. If that is the case then add a mix to the throttle and elevator, as more throttle applied it climbs the elevator goes down making it linear until the plane stays level no matter where the throttle is set