Director's Update May 2012

fliteadmin

Administrator
Staff member
Admin

In this episode of Flite Test Chad updates us on some of the new things going on with Flite Test and also response to some of our viewers.

Website and Forum
Tim Hoyer’s thread: OFFICIAL Bixler thread!! has over 20,000 views!
BMSWeb - Posting some great videos about the Nova OSD - Watch Paul and Thomas on their YouTube channel!
Colorex - Really great Mountain Flying Document on our new website!
Flying Monkey - Where are you?

Website - What makes a good article?
Our community needs reference material. We need more technical information and how to’s. Anything that helps people learn about this great hobby!

Prizes and competitions
Brings out the worst. There was cheating going on the picture competition. We will be cautious on how we choose to promote the show and website.

NEWS
-KK2 has on screen display.
-Hobby King is working on the new Turnigy 9XR controller.

Popular YouTube comments:
you guys need to do a fpv plane review of planes that are dedicated fpv planes...such as skywalker....X8....ect ect
USAFA21

When is the 'Advanced FPV' episode? :D
SIXEIGHTTWO

this A-6 is the worst plane hobbyking sell it is rubbish ffs
thephantomsguest

I was about to go search for a video on youtube when I saw that flitetest had uploaded this video. And I was like: "Screw this search, im watching flitetest!" :D Love you guys SO much!
TheHobbyProductions

Horizon Sponsorship:
Two full-time sponsors were a lot of work. We’re cutting back on REVIEWS. We mutually decided to take a break. There are no hard feelings. The folks at Horizon have been very friendly and supportive of what we do.

Other great RC people:
Bruce @ RCModelReviews on YouTube.
Eric @ Around Tuit RC (joehandosme99)
Dave @ NightFlyyer - Getting into multirotors
Will @ MikeysRC - Awesome builds!

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]

[/FONT]

earthsciteach

I really enjoyed the update, Chad. Oh, and don't let FlyingMonkey fool you... Work? He suffers from hobby ADD and has a fancy, new mountain bike!

John Campbell

Great Episode. really enjoyed hearing the news. I have a couple articles that I need to post. One on ESC's and the other on Lighting... Just been very busy lately.... Seems to be going around this time of year.

bicyclemonkey

Flying Derp
Mentor
I wonder how quick HK will be out of stock once they get them in!!
And I wonder what the price will be? And what features will be different over the 9x.

Oh, I found a 9XR thread over at RCG.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1628785

That thread says the 9XR will be priced at $50...I found this:

- The 9XR has a pin-out in the battery compartment for easier custom firmware flashing without needing to open the case.
- It will use the atmega chip and can be flashed with your existing customised software. In fact, it comes standard with a similar rom to ER9x.
- Backlit screen
- Has inbuilt and module based antenna system
- Spare parts available
- Improved switch and pot quality
- The 9XR will be $50.00
- We're working with Frsky on a module for the 9XR

Last edited:

Hexperience

It's too bad you're cutting back on the reviews. I really liked them. It had nothing to do with weather the sponsor was hk or hh or even if the review was biased or not. What it really felt like to me was standing around at the field with a buddy that just picked up a new plane. Of course he's going to tell me how great it is! But just getting a look at it and seeing it fly is a lot of fun too. I didn't care if the Durafly T-28 is better or worse than the Parkzone T-28, I just want to see them "up close" and have some one tell me about some of the cool features and some of the things to watch out for.

For me, watching a scratch build video is not very exciting.. it's like watching a cooking show... "And here we have the completed wing struts..." I think because it's not as immediate gratification. Show me the next cool plane I'm going pick up, not sheet foam and hot glue... ;)

Still loving Flitetest, just wanted to get in my "2 cents"...

fliteadmin

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
It's too bad you're cutting back on the reviews. I really liked them. It had nothing to do with weather the sponsor was hk or hh or even if the review was biased or not. What it really felt like to me was standing around at the field with a buddy that just picked up a new plane. Of course he's going to tell me how great it is! But just getting a look at it and seeing it fly is a lot of fun too. I didn't care if the Durafly T-28 is better or worse than the Parkzone T-28, I just want to see them "up close" and have some one tell me about some of the cool features and some of the things to watch out for.

For me, watching a scratch build video is not very exciting.. it's like watching a cooking show... "And here we have the completed wing struts..." I think because it's not as immediate gratification. Show me the next cool plane I'm going pick up, not sheet foam and hot glue... ;)

Still loving Flitetest, just wanted to get in my "2 cents"...

Really great input. What you described is what we always wanted the reviews to be. But now it's getting so political and difficult... because there's always someone crying, moaning or yelling that it's not done right.
Thanks for sharing your thoughts!
-Chad

lobstermash

Propaganda machine
Mentor
I like the update. On the A6, I agree with you that it's not the worst plane out there, but it's anything but brilliant (in anything other than looks). Please make the scratch build vids interesting... Perhaps they need some 'Dave' to liven them up or something. I really like your reviews. I particularly like it when you do reviews of new Hobbyking planes or lines that don't get enough attention.

I've always seen the show as two blokes of different backgrounds and skills (in terms of the hobby) enjoying doing cool stuff with RC planes. Dave also injects some crazy and some sparkle, and the episodes shot when he was there (not necessarily in the show) are the most informative and fun and push the viewer to challenge themselves.

I really like the new site, but I think there's going to be a lot of crap posted, with a few gems here and there. How do you incentivise quality content? Good question. I don't know the answer.

Keep up the good work guys. I mentioned on another thread that your good episodes inspire my wife to pick up a tx. That's a cool thing and hopefully your standard ;)

teflyer

Full Circle
How about the articles that get too much negative votes get cut out? Or a report button on articles to bring to attention to the Flitetest crew of a useless article? That way they do not have to check and recheck if that article is really helpful or not.

lobstermash

Propaganda machine
Mentor
Yeah, I think a report system with FT moderation would be a bit friendlier... We have to think of the children.

StoneKap

Executive Producer
Admin
Mentor
How about the articles that get too much negative votes get cut out? Or a report button on articles to bring to attention to the Flitetest crew of a useless article? That way they do not have to check and recheck if that article is really helpful or not.

Yes, the site is moderated. It's also important for everyone to rate articles. This will bring the good ones to the top. Soon you will be able to search then sort by views or rating.

jamiedco

Prop Killer
does anyone have any more info on the kk2 . its due for release in a few days and i was wondering what the pricing was going to be