Disappearing Purple Glue

checkerboardflyer

Just started my first scratch build foam board model. Bought plans for an Aeronca C-1 from eBay. Usually when you think of buying model airplane plans you think AMA Plans Service; a very comprehensive assortment. But I found many plans on eBay. Anyway, you get plans, make a copy, cut the drawings out, glue them to poster board to make templates, then trace onto foam board and cut the parts out. Then assemble the model. One way to glue the cutout plans is to use Elmer’s Disappearing Purple School Glue. It is in stick form, like Chapstick. it’s purple to let you see where you are putting it. In a short time the purple disappears. Just started using it but so far it works very well. More tools and tips at: https://foamboardflyers.com/

Attachments

• aeronca-rudder-plan-fbf.jpg
    aeronca-rudder-plan-fbf.jpg
    202.9 KB · Views: 0
  • glue-open-cap-fbf.jpg
    glue-open-cap-fbf.jpg
    227.3 KB · Views: 0
  • glue-rudder-wide-fbf.jpg
    glue-rudder-wide-fbf.jpg
    245 KB · Views: 0

Seahunter

Just started my first scratch build foam board model. Bought plans for an Aeronca C-1 from eBay. Usually when you think of buying model airplane plans you think AMA Plans Service; a very comprehensive assortment. But I found many plans on eBay. Anyway, you get plans, make a copy, cut the drawings out, glue them to poster board to make templates, then trace onto foam board and cut the parts out. Then assemble the model. One way to glue the cutout plans is to use Elmer’s Disappearing Purple School Glue. It is in stick form, like Chapstick. it’s purple to let you see where you are putting it. In a short time the purple disappears. Just started using it but so far it works very well. More tools and tips at: https://foamboardflyers.com/
Welcome to our forum. I've been using these glue sticks for transferring my patterns to balsa, pine, hardwood or foam for a couple of years and they work great. Not a very long shelf life especially if you leave the cap off like I always do, so don't try to stock up, I just threw three out that had hardened up. Check out my tip under Repairs, Questions, Tips and shares, (Adams foam board building tip), for sealing edges of foam board using Modpodge. Hai Lee suggested using white glue, has a longer drying time but harder and more durable seal.

d8veh

Elite member
Unless I'd plan to make multiples of the same plane. i wouldn't bother with poster board templates. I just print the plan, cut out the shapes leaving about 1cm all round, then tape them to the foam board with Scotch Magic tape, which can be unpeeled or repositioned when you want.

Snarls

Gravity Tester
Mentor
Might not be of interest to you guys, but the Elmers purple school glue is also great for bed adhesion when 3D printing. The glue goes on purple, so you can see if you've missed a spot on the print bed. Then it dries clear, although looks aren't really important on a surface you're just printing on. It holds prints on the bed well, and once the print is done, I find taking the print off just requires some steady force before the print pops off. Other Elmers glue I find slowly peels off, so you have to continuously yank on your print before it comes off. The best part though, is that when you go to wash the glue off the bottom of your print, the glue turns back to purple! You can instantly see where the glue is, and when you have fully removed it. I didn't know all this when I bought the glue (that's all the store had), and I have been pleasantly surprised.

Merv

Site Moderator
Staff member
Unless I'd plan to make multiples of the same plane.

I make multiples of nearly every plan I build. Too many gravity waves where I live. I've started cutting my foam board with a band saw, works great, it will go though 6 layers of FB like a hot knife through butter. It would likely do more, I just didn't need that many parts.

Last edited:

Seahunter

Might not be of interest to you guys, but the Elmers purple school glue is also great for bed adhesion when 3D printing. The glue goes on purple, so you can see if you've missed a spot on the print bed. Then it dries clear, although looks aren't really important on a surface you're just printing on. It holds prints on the bed well, and once the print is done, I find taking the print off just requires some steady force before the print pops off. Other Elmers glue I find slowly peels off, so you have to continuously yank on your print before it comes off. The best part though, is that when you go to wash the glue off the bottom of your print, the glue turns back to purple! You can instantly see where the glue is, and when you have fully removed it. I didn't know all this when I bought the glue (that's all the store had), and I have been pleasantly surprised.
Thanks, I never tried to wash it off, didn't know the purple came back.