Diving in..

Zetoyoc

Elite member
I randomly found some flite test you tube videos and decided that looked pretty fun. So here I am diving in with a foam build and learning as I go. I have radio and a few servos ill try to cannibalize from an old helicopter that never really got off the ground and was a bit scary. I am hoping foam airplanes will be more my speed :) Well, I am off to the garage to see if i can make this all work. wish me luck lol

-Jesse

K3V0

Elite member
Welcome! It’s an addictive hobby! I started recently too and it’s been a lot of fun to build and fly. I agree with Piotrsko, don’t stress about it and have lots of fun!

Zetoyoc

Elite member
Thank you for the welcome and encouragement. I just started then restarted cutting some foam. I had trouble keeping square edges while using a blade . I restarted using a reciprocating saw . A lot louder Abit slower but I like my lines better now. Next to see about gluing it together. :). I am looking forward to the finish. Crash or not :)

Zetoyoc

Elite member
Oh right details. Lol. Well I really took many hours trying to decide on a first plane. So I may end up making them all. I printed out the tri plane and the twin sparrow I think it was. Knowing me probably not the best place to start skill wise but I really liked the look of them and at least with the sparrow I can toss it about a bit before I commit to electronics maybe. So short part of all that is the sparrow is cut out and about to be glued up :)

Merv

Site Moderator
Staff member
I just started then restarted cutting some foam. I had trouble keeping square edges while using a blade . I restarted using a reciprocating saw .
I use a band saw to cut out planes. I get a stack of foam, 6 to 8 layers depending on how many copies of a plane I want to make. Pin them together and cut them all at one time on the band saw.

Zetoyoc

Elite member
So far so good. I did a decent amount between chores but sadly now have to go to work and try not to be distracted thinking about the project :) here it is so far. There is no dihedral yet since I have misplaced the gauge or the cats stole it.
IMG_20191028_162023.jpg

Zetoyoc

Elite member
So.. I left the sparrow alone for now and built a cub. I decided to start with a motor and battery combo that might work on more than one plane instead of the twin sparrow.

I have a few questions. I think i built it too heavy? i used foam board from craft store and it weighs without battery about 550g with batt, near 650g. the specs of the plane say it should weigh around 10oz which is just under 300g and i don't have landing gear or wheels on mine yet. so back to the question. How bad is this? What should I expect on first flight? do i need more motor or prop? I have a Radial 2212-1050kV and a 3s 1300mah battery with a 8x4.5 slow fly prop. so wow lots of questions. i was hoping to fly for the first time ever i might add, tomorrow but i could possible start another more suitable plane. i do now have the foam board used in all the build videos.

thanks for any help
cub.jpg

- Jesse

edit: resized to smaller photo

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
So.. I left the sparrow alone for now and built a cub. I decided to start with a motor and battery combo that might work on more than one plane instead of the twin sparrow.

I have a few questions. I think i built it too heavy? i used foam board from craft store and it weighs without battery about 550g with batt, near 650g. the specs of the plane say it should weigh around 10oz which is just under 300g and i don't have landing gear or wheels on mine yet. so back to the question. How bad is this? What should I expect on first flight? do i need more motor or prop? I have a Radial 2212-1050kV and a 3s 1300mah battery with a 8x4.5 slow fly prop. so wow lots of questions. i was hoping to fly for the first time ever i might add, tomorrow but i could possible start another more suitable plane. i do now have the foam board used in all the build videos.

thanks for any help
View attachment 146873
- Jesse

edit: resized to smaller photo
I really think it would be ok. My cub was really heavy, but it flew. Yours looks really nice!