Diving Left At Launch

caffeinated

Here’s a one-person launch and a belly landing. I throw underarm with right arm - no idea why, it just feels “right”. Good luck!

Nice Landing!!! I gave that underhand technique a thought when I launched the first time. Felt like I had to "squeeze" too hard to hold the plane though and might crush it. Probably more my inexperience with the FT products. The MS Spitfire is my first one, but I know there will be many more. I like how the build came out for the "first one" but experience in shaping and working the foam will make future models look so much nicer. I want to get a lot of learning in on this first plane - foam shaping, launching, flying, etc - then start putting some nice ones (with paint) together. Hats off to the FT Crew for putting such an nice kit together, with the vids on assembly, to make entry into RC much easier for folks. Not my first RC plane, but certainly the first of this type. When I saw it on YTube, just had to try it. Glad I did and looking forward to many more. And all the forum help is awesome, thanks !!

caffeinated

Is it an option for you to try the Tiny Trainer?

Everything is possible.

I have an Aero Scout that I have been flying for a while now. A UMX Radian, and an Arrows I haven't even unboxed yet. All foamies. I got the bug to get back into RC after 45 years, and wow talk about amazing. Back in the day, everything was balsa builds - which I am working on a few kits now (Manzano Laser Works Stinson Reliant and a kit from the Netherlands RC-Builder P51D Mustang) - and the radios were no where near as sophisticated. Safe modes, gyros, mixing, all phenomenal technology. I have the flight simulator as well which I am sure saved me from crashing a lot of real planes. Have joined a great club, training with a buddy there too. It is a great time to be in this hobby - especially if you remember what it was like in the "old days".

I really like the FT crews' kits as it is a "build" - which I love - but its still a challenge yet doesn't take 6 months to build. I see lots of them in my future.

Piotrsko

Master member
Depending on your configuration, have you tried messing with corrective trim on launch? Couple three clicks right rudder and up elevator. If it wants to leap out of your hand at full throttle you have enough thrust to do accelerating climb.

Another comment is the underarm style of launch appears awkward . That doesn't help the process because for a couple of seconds you plane is uncontrolled so it's going where it was last pointed, hopefully accelerating and climbing before you can get on the controls

Finally get a gas engine prop. You'll lose some thrust, but it won't break as often. I have a top flite 10-6 I bought in 1987

caffeinated

Depending on your configuration, have you tried messing with corrective trim on launch? Couple three clicks right rudder and up elevator. If it wants to leap out of your hand at full throttle you have enough thrust to do accelerating climb.

Another comment is the underarm style of launch appears awkward . That doesn't help the process because for a couple of seconds you plane is uncontrolled so it's going where it was last pointed, hopefully accelerating and climbing before you can get on the controls

Finally get a gas engine prop. You'll lose some thrust, but it won't break as often. I have a top flite 10-6 I bought in 1987

Haven't tried the corrective on launch for the FT yet. I have a little rudder added to my AeroScout on takeoff so I understand the concept. Funny to say, but my Spitfire wasn't in the air long enough to have an idea what to correct - which is what started this thread. Its the first plane of any size - other than the little UMX Radian - that I have hand launched. Technique, thrust power, etc all a learning curve on this. I sensed that the power was a bit high as I could actually feel it torque a bit while I was still holding it when I went from one power level to the next. The brain just didn't absorb the input - I let it go - and it went straight curved down left into the dirt. Shattering a few dreams of a great maiden flight, but adding to the experience and knowledge level. All good things. I'll check out the gas props, I ordered a bunch of props from FT, so I'll get through those and try others. Thanks so much, great ideas!

Matthewdupreez

Legendary member
Built the master series spitfire - came out pretty good other than a few cosmetic creases here and there. Amazing stuff that foam board. Went to fly today using Power Pack C components for the kit. Radio, Receiver, and Battery, are Spektrum DX8e, AR637T, Gen2 2200 4S Lipo 50C. Motor is spinning CCW as required. Prop installed with 10x4.5 facing out. CG is 2" back from leading edge (had to add just a bit of weight in nose) and balances nicely.

Now it gets ugly, on both attempts to maiden, holding plane in hand (underneath), throttle almost all the way up - like it wants to jump out of my hand. Let go, and 15 feet to a direct nose dive left into the dirt. Now I'm outta props. And ideas. All the controls are working as they should. Gonna order more props, but thought I'd seek some guidance here first. Plane held up pretty well sans the motor mount loosening but a bit a hot glue and that it ready to go again.

thanks
The one thing that I immediately noticed with your description... Was that you let the plane go... Now for some plane's this might be ok.. but not for most... You need to throw the plane with a decent good hard throw... So that you'll have control over the plane.. and so that it starts to fly as soon as possible..
Of course maybe you did throw it... This is just what I thought

caffeinated

The one thing that I immediately noticed with your description... Was that you let the plane go... Now for some plane's this might be ok.. but not for most... You need to throw the plane with a decent good hard throw... So that you'll have control over the plane.. and so that it starts to fly as soon as possible..
Of course maybe you did throw it... This is just what I thought

Nope, I failed to throw it, more like a let it go - I had the throttle so high it kinda just ripped outta my hand - about 5 feet curving left straight into the dirt. Throttle too high I think was the general lesson. Not sure even throwing it would have overcome the fact that I had way to much thrust going on. All good learning experiences. Yes, will make sure a buddy gives it a good heave with a lower throttle on maiden #3 when the props come in the mail. Thanks !

TheFlyingBrit

Legendary member
A glide test playing catch with the airplane with a buddy will also confirm where CG needs to be. Knowing this sooner probably could have saved me a few crashes in my journey
That is really good advice its saved me some bad crashes in the past, if it wont glide you got a problem when you shut down your motor ?

TheFlyingBrit

Legendary member
An experienced flier can usually deal with excess torque roll with some rudder rather than aileron, but that is not for the learner it takes some practice.
Besides you shouldn't be launching at full throttle, unless the motor is drastically under powered for your model or your flying an EDF jet.

Hondo76251

Legendary member
An experienced flier can usually deal with excess torque roll with some rudder rather than aileron, but that is not for the learner it takes some practice.
Besides you shouldn't be launching at full throttle, unless the motor is drastically under powered for your model or your flying an EDF jet.
Excelent point, made me think of something ive used before. I tend to use a lot of ruder instinctively, a hold over from my small time flying real planes. Last year doing the Bush Plane Challenge I actually added a mix to my full flap "landing" mode setting that would blend some rudder in as i increased throttle. I was swinging a pretty large prop for a c pack on a light plane and i was getting some torque roll on landing as i tend to "blip" the throttle to make corrections in the last few seconds of a SToL landing.

One could do a "hand launch" setting where you program a mix that will add rudder as you increase throttle. Just an idea, maybe ill have to try that and see how it works. 🤔

TheFlyingBrit

Legendary member
If you have a Radiomaster, Taranis or Jumper you can use a slider or pot, so the rudder addition is incremental depending on the slider/pot position. I used the same program mix for optimising a coordinated turn with rudder.