DIY 50mm EDF Grunjet

Grifflyer

WWII fanatic
How much for 64mm
There have been people who run it at regular size with a 64mm edf and have had great results! You’ll have to scale up the thrust tube will have to be cut a little bit bigger but everything else will work at the normal size.

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
Here’s my maiden of the grunjet. Apart from a sketchy launch due to it being quite far out of trim, it went really well! I love this plane - I put 5 packs through it that day. The maiden was on a 1500 4s which is a perfect size, but I only have one of those so I ran it several times on a 2200 3s which also worked very well but was a bit slower. I’m planning on trying it out on a 2200 4s, so I’ll give an update once that happens. If you haven’t built one of these yet, do it! It’s so worth it!

The Fopster

Master member
Here’s my maiden of the grunjet. Apart from a sketchy launch due to it being quite far out of trim, it went really well! I love this plane - I put 5 packs through it that day. The maiden was on a 1500 4s which is a perfect size, but I only have one of those so I ran it several times on a 2200 3s which also worked very well but was a bit slower. I’m planning on trying it out on a 2200 4s, so I’ll give an update once that happens. If you haven’t built one of these yet, do it! It’s so worth it!
Nice catch at the end. Ninja skills!

Homey

Elite member
This comes to the field with me almost every time. Does everything you ask it to!
Flew this battery to the ground! Lol

Peter

Racer649

Introducing the Grunjet, a two sheet foamboard performance jet flying fast and sporty, slows down to a crawl on landings, and is packed with amazing vertical performance, all only costing $80 to build! With this plane you have the option of building the plane with a V tail or a standard tail, there are no real handling differences between the two other than the fact that the V atil has a rudder.

-Videos

-Overview

-Speed
While certainly not a speed demon, coming out of a dive it might get up to roughly 70mph.

-Handling
With such a low wing loading this thing flies like a trainer, and with such large control surfaces you're able to pull of a ton of aerobatic maneuvers.

-Stalls
They can become little rough but I have yet to drop a wing

-Aerobatics
If you build the plane with a standard tail you'll only be able to do the basic such as: loops, rolls, inverted, split S's etc. Even if you decide to build the V tail there's quite a bit of adverse roll when you apply rudder (a common characteristic of V tails) so you'll still be relatively limited to the basics

-Take offs
You can either do an underhand launch while holding the thrust tube, or my favorite, just plop it on the grass and give it full throttle and off she goes!

-Landings
With such a large wing and low wing loading you can glide it in without any problem, but I prefer to leave a little bit of throttle on to get some airflow over the elevator so I can flare it right before hitting the ground.

-Skill level
This is the easiest jet I've ever flown, if you want to dip your feet into the sweet waters of EDF jets this with by far the best way to do that. This would make a great second or third bank and yank airplane.

View attachment 98849

View attachment 98850

View attachment 98851

View attachment 98852

View attachment 98853

-Plans
Grunjet Plans V2.0
Any build instructions or video?

dap35

Elite member
I just built one. Where should the balance point be? Thanks
I measure 7.46" in front of the trailing edge of the wing. The CG location is shown by this symbol on the plans.

Screen Shot 2022-08-03 at 8.42.20 PM.png

FlyerInStyle

Elite member
I think mine is like a 4900kv 2212, not sure 100%
It also has 11 blades. I'm not sure about yours, but I got mine cheap from here:
ok, thanks, I might try, I jsut want to find something that I CAN put that severely underpowered 3s edf into, this plane is on my list, but want to verify that it works before I start building. How much thrust does your edf produce at crusing power?