DIY Foamboard P-61 Black Widow

Niez13

Elite member
I have been working on this design for a while now and happy to show everyone how it came out! This P-61 has a 48" inch wingspan and runs off of a A Pack Twin with a 3s 850mah. I tried to make sure to get all of the iconic angles and oultlines of the real thing as I could. With school in full swing, it took a lot longer than I thought. Don't know what the story is with plans yet because I still have to finalize them. Here's a link to some flight footage filmed by @jaypbennett from the Flite Crew.

Jack's P-61 "Black Widow"

Also, here's a link to Instagram for more photo's and a video of the moveable gun turret.

Instagram/niez13rc/P-61 Black Widow

_DSC0043NF.jpg
_DSC0463NF.jpg _DSC0475NF.jpg _DSC0477NF.jpg _DSC0489NF.jpg _DSC0496NF.jpg _DSC0500NF.jpg _DSC0501NF.jpg _DSC0522NF.jpg

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
I have been working on this design for a while now and happy to show everyone how it came out! This P-61 has a 48" inch wingspan and runs off of a A Pack Twin with a 3s 850mah. I tried to make sure to get all of the iconic angles and oultlines of the real thing as I could. With school in full swing, it took a lot longer than I thought. Don't know what the story is with plans yet because I still have to finalize them. Here's a link to some flight footage filmed by @jaypbennett from the Flite Crew.

Jack's P-61 "Black Widow"

Also, here's a link to Instagram for more photo's and a video of the moveable gun turret.

Instagram/niez13rc/P-61 Black Widow

View attachment 160733 View attachment 160734 View attachment 160735 View attachment 160736 View attachment 160737 View attachment 160738 View attachment 160739 View attachment 160741 View attachment 160742
That thing is awesome, keep us posted on when the plans get released. Great job

The Fopster

Master member
The rotating turret is icing on an already very impressive cake. Excellent job! Looks fabulous in the air! What battery are you running? Could a 2200 3s work, do you think?

Niez13

Elite member
The rotating turret is icing on an already very impressive cake. Excellent job! Looks fabulous in the air! What battery are you running? Could a 2200 3s work, do you think?
Thanks! And a 3s 850mah. I think a 3s 2200 wouldn’t be able to fit unfortunately. It’s designed more for batteries in the range from 800mah to about 1300mah.

The Fopster

Master member
Thanks! And a 3s 850mah. I think a 3s 2200 wouldn’t be able to fit unfortunately. It’s designed more for batteries in the range from 800mah to about 1300mah.
I've got a couple of 800mah so still possible! I'll keep an eye open in case plans creep out into the public domain! Well done again - great build.

FoamyDM

Building Fool-Flying Noob
Great work here. As with all these beautiful craft, I would love to build one of these too. Will this be a resource or a kit here?

Niez13

Elite member
Really sharp! Thats a bad ass plane with alot of untold stories and history.
Thanks! and yeah I heard a story once of a P-38 pilot who challenged a P-61 pilot and said he could beat a P-61 in a dogfight. Instead the P-61 pilot was able to out turn and roll faster than the P-38, while still carrying 4x50 cals, and 4x20mm cannons. It was just a beast and an all around amazing fighter.

Bavarian_RC

Elite member
Looks fantastic (y) The Black Widow would make a nice battle opponent for my Heinkel 219 night fighter. ;):)
In terms of building techniques you‘re already the winner!

Niez13

Elite member
Looks fantastic (y) The Black Widow would make a nice battle opponent for my Heinkel 219 night fighter. ;):)
In terms of building techniques you‘re already the winner!
I would love to see that formation with your He 219 and the P-61! Both would look very scale and cool flying with each other.

Liam B

This looks great. I’ve been out of building for quite a while so all this origami with the foam is totally new to me. Puts my 120” P-61 to shame lol.