DIY Foamboard P-61 Black Widow

Dude that's the most beautiful thing! Badass bird. Much sexy! Very congratulations! Hehe.
Question for you.
You say 48" on twin A-pack.
I'm building this B-25/A-26 mashup at only 26" wingspan, and I've built it around two A-size motors. Have I overdone it?
I've heard you can't really have too much power (but you can add too much weight.) I can downsize the props, like put two aggressive 4" three-blade props on. It would look good with the smaller props.
But if smaller motors would be perfectly fine then I'll know for the next small twin I build.
IMG_0738.JPG

Niez13

Elite member
Dude that's the most beautiful thing! Badass bird. Much sexy! Very congratulations! Hehe.
Question for you.
You say 48" on twin A-pack.
I'm building this B-25/A-26 mashup at only 26" wingspan, and I've built it around two A-size motors. Have I overdone it?
I've heard you can't really have too much power (but you can add too much weight.) I can downsize the props, like put two aggressive 4" three-blade props on. It would look good with the smaller props.
But if smaller motors would be perfectly fine then I'll know for the next small twin I build.
View attachment 165615
Thanks! 26” on an A twin should be perfectly fine. On my P-61 it’s got tons of power but I feel that if it was a little smaller it would be cruising and fast. You might have lots of punch on your b25/a26 but I think it’s fine. I would say go with the smaller props but that’s just me.

Thanks! 26” on an A twin should be perfectly fine. On my P-61 it’s got tons of power but I feel that if it was a little smaller it would be cruising and fast. You might have lots of punch on your b25/a26 but I think it’s fine. I would say go with the smaller props but that’s just me.
Double like. Thanks a lot, big help!

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
Likewise. My winter build will be either the Niez DC3 or Mosquito. Still undecided. So hard to pick a winner... 🤔
I know! My buddy wants a p-61 so I’ll be building that for him, and then I’m thinking about building a mosquito for myself.

Niez13

Elite member
This will be my winter project. Have you tried modifying it for gear?
No but luckily there is all the space you need to make landing gear inside, and the landing gear can easily be structured in place. You might have to actually put the nose gear in the removable nose but it will still have more than enough strength due to the battery compartment.

Cobra1365

No but luckily there is all the space you need to make landing gear inside, and the landing gear can easily be structured in place. You might have to actually put the nose gear in the removable nose but it will still have more than enough strength due to the battery compartment

Thats what I was seeing. it looks like there is room to affix a plywood platform on each of the tail boom spars and on on the main fuselage spar For the NG.
As for the removable nose...is there a need to make it removable or can the battery/electronics be accessed via an upper hatch?

Niez13

Elite member
Thats what I was seeing. it looks like there is room to affix a plywood platform on each of the tail boom spars and on on the main fuselage spar For the NG.
As for the removable nose...is there a need to make it removable or can the battery/electronics be accessed via an upper hatch?
You could probably get away with a hatch. My only concern with that is the battery has to go pretty far forward so if you make the cockpit the hatch, it might be a tight fit placing the battery.

Cobra1365

You could probably get away with a hatch. My only concern with that is the battery has to go pretty far forward so if you make the cockpit the hatch, it might be a tight fit placing the battery.

OK, thanks! I’ll have to play with that a bit.I may be able to put a piece of ply at the bottom of the nose piece, like you said.

CrshNBrn

Elite member
Here's my effort- I was able to use leftover decals from other projects to finish it out. The wrinkling is due to spray painting in a cold garage- I seem to have to relearn that lesson over and over again.

While it wasn't my prettiest build, the 13th Squadron P-61 was a fun and challenging project. I can't wait to see it in the air. Thanks for the plans, Neiz13!

Attachments

• 20211107_065728.jpg
    20211107_065728.jpg
    850.8 KB · Views: 0

Baron VonHelton

Elite member
Here's my effort- I was able to use leftover decals from other projects to finish it out. The wrinkling is due to spray painting in a cold garage- I seem to have to relearn that lesson over and over again.

While it wasn't my prettiest build, the 13th Squadron P-61 was a fun and challenging project. I can't wait to see it in the air. Thanks for the plans, Neiz13!

Oh wow. I like that.

(y)(y)(y)(y)(y)

Sick! Yeah, can't wait to see it in the air. That's gonna be mean.