DIY Foamboard P-61 Black Widow

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
Here's my effort- I was able to use leftover decals from other projects to finish it out. The wrinkling is due to spray painting in a cold garage- I seem to have to relearn that lesson over and over again.

While it wasn't my prettiest build, the 13th Squadron P-61 was a fun and challenging project. I can't wait to see it in the air. Thanks for the plans, Neiz13!
Beautiful build sir! (y)(y)

CrshNBrn

Elite member
The weather was decent enough today to get in a couple of flights. I'm using an 3S 850 battery as far forward as my short wires will permit, as well as 2.5oz lead in the extreme nose to balance the CG. Larger batteries or longer wires may require less ballast. There's space in there for a bigger battery if you have one.

It IS a sweet flying plane. Differential thrust means no theatrics on launch. A few clicks of elevator trim to compensate for my crooked horizontal stabilizer and it was off to the races. It's zippy like the other twin engine planes from 13th Squadron and with its smaller size, folks can fly it on fields that may be little tight for the larger Master Series planes.

Interestingly, on my second battery I think I had my first "brownout" where I totally lost all signal for a bit. I'm trying the cheap Lemon receivers for the first time and think I had my antenna too close to the battery. Would that cause a loss of signal? Fortunately, the P-61 came down fairly decently and just about landed itself. Only required a quick repair with hot glue and it was back up in the air within the hour.

Go build one today and use the black foamboard to do it (hat tip: FoamyDM).

FoamyDM

Building Fool-Flying Noob
Here's my effort- I was able to use leftover decals from other projects to finish it out. The wrinkling is due to spray painting in a cold garage- I seem to have to relearn that lesson over and over again.

While it wasn't my prettiest build, the 13th Squadron P-61 was a fun and challenging project. I can't wait to see it in the air. Thanks for the plans, Neiz13!
ARE you Kidding!? that one looks great! I am still working out the Pod sections. I have the Front, and the back done, figuring the skin and formers out.

Musing:
Has anyone considered if a MINI-radar could be built? (say to 200 ft. ) with a mini Screen. (just in-case a 3x scale one is in order)