DIY Magnetic Actuator

micro_builder

Hey folks,

Posted this the other day, thought I'd share it here, complete with mistakes so you know what to avoid lol I plan on doing another version with the remote style actuator, and then after that a video on building an entire micro RC plane that uses actuators. I know most micros these days utilize the servo/esc bricks, but you can only build so small with those, actuators allow a whole new size to venture into.

Nick

I included a link and some more info I didnt think of during the recording of this for determining the resistance of the coil you'll end up with in the Description box on youtube.

Last edited:

JimCR120

Got Lobstah?
Site Moderator
I don't recall this being discussed before but what a benefit to have this posted. I was just talking about this with someone who's done this in his microbuilds.

Thanks for posting this.

micro_builder

Thanks, Jim, expect a couple more in the near future, I left a bit on the table with this one.

TazRC, thanks! Magnets were ones I already had laying about (rather, stuck to the refrigerator). I dont have one particular source to get them from, but if you do a search for something like 1mm (or whatever size you need to fit your coil) magnets you'll get a ton of results. Try to go with neodymium, you'll get the best performance out of your coil with those magnets.

Nick

micro_builder

Next step would be installing your fancy little coil, so here we go.

I'm ordering a handful of different actuators and a few DSM2 micro receivers that can run actuators in the next few days, once I get the receivers I'll do a complete video of building an entire plane from start to finish.

Nick

TazRC

Obsession, not hobby
Very nice! I think I would need a magnifier headset, and switch to decaf coffee too! :D

micro_builder

Thanks! You'd be surprised what caffeine can do when working with these little things, I had just finished a Dr. Pepper when I first tried recording that video and had to wait a while so my hands would stop shaking lol

FoamyDM

Building Fool-Flying Noob
Great Post, Thank you. do you typically repurpose the copper wires from old speakers, or other electronics?