DIY Power Pack A?

RipGroove

Before I shell out the £80.00 for the Power Pack A in the U.K. I'm wondering if an equivalent DIY setup can be made by buying the bits individually?

This is the official contents:

1x Flite Test LiPo storage bag
4x Linkage connections
1x 300 mm Y cable
2x 200 mm extension cable
1x 2 mm hex-key
1x Phillips screwdriver
1x Motor ULTRA 2804 2300KV brushless Motor CCW
1x ULTRA 20 A SBEC BL HELI S 2-4S XT-30 speed controller
4x 5g servo
2x Propellers C-Prop 5 x 3 inch CCW

I don't need the tools or LiPo bag and the linkages and cables are simple to source so all I need is:

4x 5g servo

So, are there cheaper versions of that lot that will perform pretty well?

Maybe this lot:

Motor - (£13.99)
ESC - (£11.69)
Servos?
Props?

I'm no expert so unsure whether the ESC and Motor will work well together and I'm not sure what cheap ish props and servos will work well?

Or am I just better off getting the FliteTest pack, I have no problem spending the money if it's genuinely worth the £80.0 it costs in the U.K.

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
Before I shell out the £80.00 for the Power Pack A in the U.K. I'm wondering if an equivalent DIY setup can be made by buying the bits individually?

This is the official contents:

1x Flite Test LiPo storage bag
4x Linkage connections
1x 300 mm Y cable
2x 200 mm extension cable
1x 2 mm hex-key
1x Phillips screwdriver
4x 5g servo

I don't need the tools or LiPo bag and the linkages and cables are simple to source so all I need is:

4x 5g servo

So, are there cheaper versions of that lot that will perform pretty well?

Maybe this lot:

Motor - (£13.99)
ESC - (£11.69)
Servos?
Props?

I'm no expert so unsure whether the ESC and Motor will work well together and I'm not sure what cheap ish props and servos will work well?

Or am I just better off getting the FliteTest pack, I have no problem spending the money if it's genuinely worth the £80.0 it costs in the U.K.
Just by looking at the #'s it looks like more of an F Pack equivalent... which is better to be more adaptable for more power later.

What plane were you planning on using it in, and what size of battery were you thinking as well?

Merv

Site Moderator
Staff member
I buy the cheap stuff and find it works just as well and lasts just as long as the expensive stuff all of my friends buy. The “quality” argument just doesn’t hold water in my opinion. The service my friends receive is far superior to what I get. If you are a newbie and need someone to walk you through, the service is worth it.

If I had a local hobby shop, I would support it. Every time I travel, I make it a point to find a hobby shop to support. My closest hobby shop is 90 miles and one with a decent inventory is 160 miles. For me the cost savings are worth the 1-4 week wait to get something. I have learned to order extra and keep my own inventory.

Everything will fail, I don’t care how much you paid for it. It all fails.

Last edited:

RipGroove

Just by looking at the #'s it looks like more of an F Pack equivalent... which is better to be more adaptable for more power later.

What plane were you planning on using it in, and what size of battery were you thinking as well?

Thats odd because I took the list from here, which states it's the A pack: https://www.sussex-model-centre.co.uk/power-pack-a-mini-by-graupner-flite-test

I'm planning on putting it in a Mini Mustang with a battery similar to what FT recommend for that plane (Tattu 3s LiPo Battery 75C (11.1V/850mAh)

Maybe I'll just buy the proper FT pack as it'll be my first FT build, at least I know it will all work then. I can source a battery OK but can't seem to find equivalent props anywhere in the U.K.? There are probably loads but I'm no expert at what I'm looking at. I have plenty of radio and a decent balance charger from my old electric combat wing.

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
Thats odd because I took the list from here, which states it's the A pack: https://www.sussex-model-centre.co.uk/power-pack-a-mini-by-graupner-flite-test

I'm planning on putting it in a Mini Mustang with a battery similar to what FT recommend for that plane (Tattu 3s LiPo Battery 75C (11.1V/850mAh)

Maybe I'll just buy the proper FT pack as it'll be my first FT build, at least I know it will all work then. I can source a battery OK but can't seem to find equivalent props anywhere in the U.K.? There are probably loads but I'm no expert at what I'm looking at. I have plenty of radio and a decent balance charger from my old electric combat wing.
The A Pack does have a smaller motor then the one you are thinking of using. And your battery choice is the same one I use with the F Pack myself, which is also in my Mini Mustang. It works awesome. Remember that you don't have to pin it full throttle all the time, the F Pack motor will work just like the A Pack one just as long as you don't put the coals to it, then later as you get more confident you still have the power when you want it. Your ability grows into an F Pack as opposed to buying an A pack now and a F Pack later. Seems like a waste of money I think. And in the build vid Bix says its a plane that will work with both packs anyway.

It's your call. Mini Mustang is a good choice, cool plane. How much have you flown RC planes?

RipGroove

The A Pack does have a smaller motor then the one you are thinking of using. And your battery choice is the same one I use with the F Pack myself, which is also in my Mini Mustang. It works awesome. Remember that you don't have to pin it full throttle all the time, the F Pack motor will work just like the A Pack one just as long as you don't put the coals to it, then later as you get more confident you still have the power when you want it. Your ability grows into an F Pack as opposed to buying an A pack now and a F Pack later. Seems like a waste of money I think. And in the build vid Bix says its a plane that will work with both packs anyway.

It's your call. Mini Mustang is a good choice, cool plane. How much have you flown RC planes?

Well as it's my my first build i'll buy the proper complete power back then, I'll go with the F pack. The only other plane I've flown is a big old trainer a few years back but I do have a 100mph small wingspan (32') combat wing which I can fly perfectly fine so I'm hoping I'll be OK.

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
Well as it's my my first build i'll buy the proper complete power back then, I'll go with the F pack. The only other plane I've flown is a big old trainer a few years back but I do have a 100mph small wingspan (32') combat wing which I can fly perfectly fine so I'm hoping I'll be OK.
100MPH COMBAT WING!... Bro do yourself the justice and go F pack, you would have been disappointed with the A pack anyway. Mustang deserves the F pack. Are you gonna build it 4 channel or 3 channel bank and yank?

RipGroove

100MPH COMBAT WING!... Bro do yourself the justice and go F pack, you would have been disappointed with the A pack anyway. Mustang deserves the F pack. Are you gonna build it 4 channel or 3 channel bank and yank?
Yeah, it go's and sounds like an F1 car! F pack it is then and yeah I'll do 4ch.

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
Yeah, it go's and sounds like an F1 car! F pack it is then and yeah I'll do 4ch.
It's an easy build. It was my first FT build as well. I actually built it just to see how well the FT kits went together. Didn't even make it a flyable model. Sits on the cabinet. Built another one since, 3 channel bank and yank. I have some mods going on for the electronics to fit inside the fuse. I tend to crash a lot so keeping the electronics protected from each other is a priority. You must like a little scale flying too goin 4 channel I'm guessing?

RipGroove

It's an easy build. It was my first FT build as well. I actually built it just to see how well the FT kits went together. Didn't even make it a flyable model. Sits on the cabinet. Built another one since, 3 channel bank and yank. I have some mods going on for the electronics to fit inside the fuse. I tend to crash a lot so keeping the electronics protected from each other is a priority. You must like a little scale flying too goin 4 channel I'm guessing?
Nice! I figured I'd just add the rudder so it's there then if I want it I guess. No real thought went in to it other than that!

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
Nice! I figured I'd just add the rudder so it's there then if I want it I guess. No real thought went in to it other than that!
Either way it's a fun plane, you will enjoy it, destroy it, and make a new one even better. Have fun with the build and if you have any questions don't hesitate to ask. I've built about a dozen of these planes so far and it seems like i can't just keep it to the stock build out of the box, I modify them for strength or convenience or just to try something different. This is my Mustang:
20190811_072453.jpg

Might do the standard version after i crash and scrap my Spitfire... maybe not. Thinking of taking the time to do a Master Series plane like the P-47. Haven't decided. You should do a build thread to document your first build. You will get so much support from the forum members with suggestions and tips. Just a thought

RipGroove

Either way it's a fun plane, you will enjoy it, destroy it, and make a new one even better. Have fun with the build and if you have any questions don't hesitate to ask. I've built about a dozen of these planes so far and it seems like i can't just keep it to the stock build out of the box, I modify them for strength or convenience or just to try something different. This is my Mustang:
View attachment 138873
Might do the standard version after i crash and scrap my Spitfire... maybe not. Thinking of taking the time to do a Master Series plane like the P-47. Haven't decided. You should do a build thread to document your first build. You will get so much support from the forum members with suggestions and tips. Just a thought
Excellent, I'll definitely be in touch then and do a build thread for sure.

RipGroove

So, is there anywhere in the UK to get spare props that work with the F-Pack? According to HERE they are 6x3 CCW. All I can ever find are quadcopter packs which have a mixture of CW and CCW.

FDS

Elite member
It doesn’t matter which way the prop goes, you can just reverse the motor if it’s not turning the correct way for your prop. Put blue loctite on the prop nut. Buy a good APC style 6x3. A CW prop will work fine. Model Shop Leeds APC 6x3. All fixed wing props are usually CCW, you can tell by which way the canted edge faces.
With regards to power packs, I have the complete links for Hobbyking alternatives and Model Shop Leeds sell their own versions too.

RipGroove

It doesn’t matter which way the prop goes, you can just reverse the motor if it’s not turning the correct way for your prop. Put blue loctite on the prop nut. Buy a good APC style 6x3. A CW prop will work fine. Model Shop Leeds APC 6x3. All fixed wing props are usually CCW, you can tell by which way the canted edge faces.
With regards to power packs, I have the complete links for Hobbyking alternatives and Model Shop Leeds sell their own versions too.
Sweet!

FDS

Elite member
Quad props are not ideal on planes either, they flex too much in my experience. I now only run the grey APC props on everything.