DIY Y6 Copter with autopilot

Ricci

Posted a thousand or more times
Yes exactly is how the booms work. The booms with motor mounts are from HK. The mount to the frame is from tarot. The snapping brakets works fine.
On a Y6 configuration no tilt mechanism is needed.

Ricci

The Cslibration drive me ��
The ESCs are all fine calibrated. If i arm the copter and give throttle 4 motors spin sync and two completely unsync. Also the rpm of all motors are different from the calibration values. I checked now in the motor test menu of mision Planer and in test mode al motors spin sync and with correct rpm behavior to throttle. But if i try outside the testmode again the rpm are wrong and out of sync. No idea what's going wrong.

JimCR120

Got Lobstah?
Site Moderator
Yes exactly is how the booms work. The booms with motor mounts are from HK. The mount to the frame is from tarot. The snapping brakets works fine.
On a Y6 configuration no tilt mechanism is needed.

Hmm, no tilt. Interesting. Thanks for the reply.

One other thing, have you seen this type of boom mount and do you have an opinion on it?
Screen Shot 2017-10-15 at 8.51.42 AM.png

Ricci

Yes i have seen, but after reading the feedbacks i decide not to buy.
It will be challenging to mount inside the frame because the heads of the fixing screws will be disturbing. You had to drill new holes 90 degrees to the axle orientation.

Ricci

Ok, after hours of research in different forums i found other guys with the same problem and they fixed.
Will try the fix. Is not an ESC issue, is a firmware issue.
The fix sounds strange but i will try.
Flash the plane software to erase the copter firmware, then flash the copter firmware again an do all settings new without using the wizzard.
Set the rc ranges on the tx to 1100 to 1900 bevore calibration in mission planer

Ricci

Ok, after fighting again 3 hours with the pixhawk and mision planer the fix works and all my motors starts up nicely, synchronized snd with the right rpm.

The fix in detail.
Reflash the pixhawk with the Arduplane firmeare was challenge nr one.
Missin plannee do not recognize my board when trying to flash new firmware, but able to connect with maink to mision planer. After one hour if searching the internet and multiple trys i found the solution. The procedure.
Connect the pixhawk to the pc. Wait for the message in mission planer to unplug the pixhawk ( because not recognized) click ok and plugging again.
So don't do this. Instead of disconnect just push the reset button from the pixhawk which is at the side near the usb plug and click then ok.
Try two times and then the board is still not recognized, but mission planer ask you if it's a linux board. So click "no" then it will ask if its a APM, then if its a pixhawk 2 and finally it will ask if it's a pixhawk. Now click yes and the firmware will be installed.

Ok same procedure again to flash the copter firmware and make all initil settings again. And without having to calibrate the ESCs again, because they was calibrated all works fine now.
Will try to hover first time tomorrow. After that i will configurate tha radio mavlink but for that i will need some beers i think.

Ricci

Hi mates,
Maiden hover successful!!!
Next step is activate the power switch off for safety reasons and configure the 433mhz mavlinc tx/rx and connect to the tablet.
Of course the PID gains has to be calibrated to be able to autocalibrate. I will post a maiden video soon.

Ricci

Hi,
before the next flight i try to get the 433mhz Mavlink connection working.
With the Android Tablet works perfect and imediately with Andropilot and QControl.
To get the transmitter to work on the PC was not plug and play because of the drivers. I installed the Scilabs drivers, but they don´t work with the HK transmitter. It has to be the FTDI driver. This works easy.
That´s the link to the correct drivers:

http://www.ftdichip.com/Drivers/VCP.htm

Ricci

Hi,
After testing towwr, andropilot and QGrouncontrol, i will use QGroundcontrol. Is in my opinion the best of the three considering features and usability.

IMG_4381.JPG

IMG_4384.JPG

Last edited:

Ricci

Hi mates,
today i tried second time to maiden, after all esc´s are nice calibrated.
Well, not successfull. after takeoff starts spinning on Yaw and no response to yaw inputs from the TX.
I´m sure that all settings are correct. I searched for similar issues and found other guys with same issues. They solved the problem only by reflashing the firmware. SO i will try, even if i don´t understand why that should help. But before i will check again all settings and the mechanichal alignment of all motors.

Ricci

Hi,
The drone of my mate is now also flight ready. Interesting is that he has the same Yaw issues.
That is his Maden video:

The good news, we have found the bug!
The wiring shown at ardupilot is wrong!
We noticed it using the motor test in mission planer. Teo channels are wrong in the configuration grafics.

We have fixed it but the weather is to bad to make a good video. I will post soon.

megabotz

TWO DOLLARS!
Was probably not wrong. There are Y6A & Y6B wiring configurations in ArduPilot. The one to use is Y6B because it is the same configuration as PX4 if you want to swap between firmwares for whatever reason.

My personal favorite is ArduPilot firmware but the battery meter is better in PX4. ArduPilot always assumes your battery is 100% when you first plug in.

megabotz

Ricci

We have Y6A configuration and had used Y6A wiring Plan. I have not checked the Y6B Wiring Plan.