DJI Mavic Clone Build

cdrskull

Hello All :)

Well, following on from my Inspire Clone build I've now decided to do a Mavic. This ones very close dimensions wise to the 'proper' mavic.. it even uses mavic props. I've already released verson 1 STL files on my website http://diyrc.co.uk but will be releasing an updated set soon.

It would be great for Flitetest to sponser me so I could build it out of all there bits but they haven't responded yet to my emails.. Anyway.. on with some photos!!!

mavic-clone.jpg

index.php

index.php

index.php

index.php

index.php

Let me know if you want more info / details :)

Steve

Last edited:

fliteadmin

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hello All :)

Well, following on from my Inspire Clone build I've now decided to do a Mavic. This ones very close dimensions wise to the 'proper' mavic.. it even uses mavic props. I've already released verson 1 STL files on my website http://diyrc.co.uk but will be releasing an updated set soon.

It would be great for Flitetest to sponser me so I could build it out of all there bits but they haven't responded yet to my emails.. Anyway.. on with some photos!!!

Let me know if you want more info / details :)

Steve

Hey Steve!
Love what you have done with the 3D print genre of the hobby! what made you decide to go the DJI route rather then some other platform?

The Mavic looks GREAT! How much time and materials etc were spent finishing this project? ha

Blessings my friend,
Stefan

cdrskull

Hey Steve!
Love what you have done with the 3D print genre of the hobby! what made you decide to go the DJI route rather then some other platform?

The Mavic looks GREAT! How much time and materials etc were spent finishing this project? ha

Blessings my friend,
Stefan

Hey Stefan,

I have not always been a fan of DJI, but when the inspire came out it was like a breath of fresh air. I love designing things and that was like nothing else.

I'm still buying and printing at the moment.. still waiting on a flight controller / osd / also need to find a mini gimbal controller (prob alexmos) and build a gimbal! So it's far from finished.. however here are some more photos :) Sorry about the light grey lid.. run out of dark grey filament! 3 rolls I've used so far.. too many test prints.. lol

mavic-build-cdrskull

mavic-build-cdrskull

mavic-build-cdrskull

Printing would take a full day.. I would estimate 1/4 of 1kg roll maybe so not much at all. Hoping to have her flying by the end of next week :)

Steve

Last edited:

cdrskull

Just a quick photo of the gps and rx mounted in the nose. I will be doing different stl files when requested for other rx's :) looks nice and tidy now.

mavic-build-cdrskull

Should have it up in the air in less than a week now :)

fliteadmin

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Looks GREAT Steve! I am very much anticipating the Flight!
What did you end up using for electronics? I saw the d4R and NZ gps...what else did you select motors and esc's etc?
Looking forward to seeing the flight and if you get a chance or feel like it, would love to have you send us a frame and maybe we can get it flying as well and see what comes from it! Always love seeing what the community comes up with... we DEF have the BEST community known to man!

Keep up the great work Steve! Talk to ya soon!

Blessings,
Stefan

cdrskull

Hi Stefan,

At the moment the motors are Black Widow 2208 1800KV With Built-In ESC.. more for room and to get rid of heat. The flight controller is a sp racing f3 deluxe.. but I would like something with a built in osd. I'm going to be running inav on it hopefully. It's got gps, LEDs and sonar too. Battery is a multistar 3S 3000.. I'm looking to build my own gimbal.. but will have to wait for pay day for that..

I'll print off a shell and post it once the design is completed.. :).

fliteadmin

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hey Steve!
Quick question for ya...Did you happen to get my PM to you the other day? If not I would love to chat a little further over an Email chain if possible?
If you could shoot me an email at stefan@flitetest.com that would be great so I could talk with you about some details regarding the rest of your build!

Blessings,
Stefan

Hi Stefan,

At the moment the motors are Black Widow 2208 1800KV With Built-In ESC.. more for room and to get rid of heat. The flight controller is a sp racing f3 deluxe.. but I would like something with a built in osd. I'm going to be running inav on it hopefully. It's got gps, LEDs and sonar too. Battery is a multistar 3S 3000.. I'm looking to build my own gimbal.. but will have to wait for pay day for that..

I'll print off a shell and post it once the design is completed.. :).

As far as something with OSD, you could just use a minimOSD. Also, the omnibus, which is my current choice for flight controller right now, is only $22 from ReadyToFlyQuads.

cdrskull

Are you planning to offer the frame ylu make.cor.sale? Along with plans and,material list?

Hey CaptBill, the STL files (3D print files) will be available on my website for free, http://diyrc.co.uk , I only ask you register so I can email you updates etc. I will be also doing a full component / material list, even a how to build video! I also need help and would love to hear suggestions how to improve the design, bits used.. I'm not a guru by any means and all help is most welcome.

I hope you enjoy following the build, I really love designing stuff.. who knows, I might take on the inspire 2 next :)

That looks beautiful! There is a guy on Thingiverse and Youtube that is also cloning the Mavic!

Are you going to be designing a micro gimbal for the craft as well?

cdrskull

Hi Nathan, many thanks for the comments. I do intend to design a gimbal but I'm struggling finding some micro-gimbal motors. The smallest I can see are 1806 and these are around 23mm diameter which is massive compared to the mavic.

So I'm still looking at the moment.

Oh, and I put some red LED's in the front tonight... not so sure being honest if they look any good. They might grow on me.

index.php

index.php

Thanks,

Steve

Last edited:

cdrskull

Bit of another update :) My FC has arrived and it seems to be fully working :) I'll grab some photos of it all installed in a bit. Also, a member of DIYRC has used his skills to created a new top to the clone.. looks even better now I think :)

aBVU8Ibl.jpg

uwjoZgGl.jpg

This part should be released today :)

more to come....

cdrskull

Started to add the electronics.. only to find the holes in the FC are not 30mm .. .but 30.5mm hey ho.. reprint time !!

index.php

Looks quite tidy :)

Steve