DJI Phantom 4 - My Experience

Andre

Fly yes... land no.
Admin

Well I took the plunge.
After months of debate and discussion.
I purchased a DJI Phantom 4.

Initially I had been searching for a nice deal on a P3 Advanced but that never materialized.
The price difference between the P3 Pro and P4 is small enough that I decided to just get the 4.

I was actually able to purchase my whole setup locally from Great Hobbies here in Ottawa. Which was nice. I was not comfortable with any of the Amazon offers and Gary Stephen from GH was super handy to talk with.

So here we go. Tag along for the adventure.

We discuss the P4 on our recent podcast.

img-5214.jpg 14570758_10157560261330416_8237808578690804292_o.jpg 14618735_10157594397530416_1511504368_o.jpg IMG_0133.JPG

makattack

Winter is coming
Mentor
Very cool, and I like the local hobby shop support, which I guess explains where Gary moved to. Ottawa. Too bad you couldn't have made a road trip to the maritimes area to help him clean out his basement. "Help" ... Lol

Andre

Fly yes... land no.
Admin
Very cool, and I like the local hobby shop support, which I guess explains where Gary moved to. Ottawa. Too bad you couldn't have made a road trip to the maritimes area to help him clean out his basement. "Help" ... Lol

I can drive to Ohio quicker than PEI.

Andre

Fly yes... land no.
Admin
Last weekend I spotted something in the trees...

IMG_0499.JPG IMG_0500.jpg

The other weekend I was cruising around with the Phantom when I spotted something in the trees.
It was far to cold and windy to really focus in on the object..

IMG_0504.PNG

Sunday after the Podcast the P4 and I went out on a mission.
It was actually to help search for another lost plane (we never did find) but while I was in the area I decided to zero in on the previous object.

IMG_0503.PNG IMG_0502.JPG

Sure looks like a plane to me ;)

I returned home, downloaded the details onto my phone and went for a hike.
It didn't take us long to find the poor downed Radian Pro.

IMG_0506.JPG IMG_0507.JPG IMG_0509.JPG IMG_0510.JPG

Looks like it has been there for a while, couldn't find the battery or canopy so I suspect they ejected in flight and that is why the plane went down.

Editing the video and will link it up later on.

Now the search for the owner begins. We thought it might be one of the pilots from our small group but he confirmed his Pro is safe at home.

Snarls

Gravity Tester
Mentor
Nice find Andre! I can see a new TV show now called 'Drone Treasure Hunters' , which is just people searching hard to get to areas from above.

Andre

Fly yes... land no.
Admin
Nice find Andre! I can see a new TV show now called 'Drone Treasure Hunters' , which is just people searching hard to get to areas from above.

Is it bad I want to make super heavy lift drone that comes in to pick up the item?

Snarls

Gravity Tester
Mentor
Is it bad I want to make super heavy lift drone that comes in to pick up the item?

Who said more drones was a bad thing?

Nice to see the owner found your video and his plane. Maybe you guys will get out and see it fly again.

Andre

Fly yes... land no.
Admin
Nothing wrong with the technology or the use of it. It is up to the pilots to be responsible.

And yes I'm hoping Chris restores the Pro ;)

Last edited:

Andre

Fly yes... land no.
Admin
SunSet

On Saturday after working my tail off to deal with a lot of house hold jobs I managed to get to the field.

Naturally the P4 came out with me and I was very happy to run 3 batteries through it.

Right when I was packing up to get home the sunset broke through the clouds.

Attachments

• IMG_0688.jpg
    IMG_0688.jpg
    79.4 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0687.jpg
    IMG_0687.jpg
    64.9 KB · Views: 0
  • DJI_0046.JPG
    DJI_0046.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
  • DJI_0040.JPG
    DJI_0040.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
  • DJI_0037.JPG
    DJI_0037.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Really good stuff. I've been watching this stuff on Instagram. I think building a heavy lift recovery copter would be awesome! I have a 3d printed claw that mounts under my modified electrohub with the idea being to pickup aircraft or drop a hook and line for retrieving airplanes and other quads from trees and rooftops. I'll be on the lookout for a build!

Andre

Fly yes... land no.
Admin
Really good stuff. I've been watching this stuff on Instagram. I think building a heavy lift recovery copter would be awesome! I have a 3d printed claw that mounts under my modified electrohub with the idea being to pickup aircraft or drop a hook and line for retrieving airplanes and other quads from trees and rooftops. I'll be on the lookout for a build!

That sounds like fun but how would you manage the prop wash?

That sounds like fun but how would you manage the prop wash?

A long line and a weighted hook would work. I guess for foam airplanes it would be a lot of prop wash to use the claw. You would need some distance from the props. The claw does work okay for grabbing mini quads though. They're dense enough to not get blown around. The hard part is landing right on top of one.