DJI Phantom Frame Swap

Lachlan

hey guys, just wondering if anyone has done a frame swap with a phantom? the stock one is super restricting so i've been looking at putting the electronics into an F450 or similar.

ExperimentalRC

Ive been thinking of the exact same thing except with an s500 frame. I think I'll get one soon and see if it is a direct fit with all stock electronics.

ExperimentalRC

I just finished my frame swap to an s500 and things went VERY smooth. Everything fit perfectly and had no major problems. I want to make an article but I have no idea how to submit one.

croucht

I was actually going to ask a very similar question. What about moving the electronics to a smaller racing/speed quad frame? I have the EasyDrone from a KickStarter campaign coming soon and that will take the roll of slow aerial video quad, so will want something else to do with the FC40 electronics. If someone else has tried this I would love to find out the results, otherwise I'll post them when I get this done.

C0d3M0nk3y

Posted a thousand or more times
What about moving the electronics to a smaller racing/speed quad frame?
How small are you thinking? The motors and props on a Phantom are quite a bit larger than any I've seen used on a 250 size quad.

But of course you could try it. One of the best things about this hobby is experimenting with different part combinations.

nilsen

I butchered my Phantom after it crashed into the ocean, I even used 2 "normal" ESC's and 2 of the remaining phantom ones, everything works fine together.

The motors are in the 900kv range (920 for stock) so they won't like spinning tiny props very fast.

I stuck the components onto a 450 frame from hobbyking but I chopped down the PDB as it's quite large, I only left the voltage regulator and then simply wired up the ESC's to a circuit-board PDB.

The NAZA can also run in full manual mode which is how I fly the 450 quad frame, I use it as an FPV practice bed and I stuck 11 inch props on it as it's more of a slow cruiser.

Let me know if you want some images or something, or if you need help.

Cheers

croucht

Thanks y'all. Hadn't thought about the kv of the motor (pretty new to the hobby), so you're right, probably not going to be a set up for speed. May have to change motors for that. But once my new quad comes in I'll probably buy an inexpensive frame that allows for 9 to 10 inch props and see what happens. Will post back with results, but likely will be a few weeks later as I don't even have the EasyDrone yet.

C0d3M0nk3y

Posted a thousand or more times
once my new quad comes in I'll probably buy an inexpensive frame that allows for 9 to 10 inch props and see what happens.
Consider getting an ElectroHub. That way you can experiment with different configurations just by adjusting the length and placement of booms made out of very inexpensive wooden dowels.