DJT module not fitting into Turnigy 9x

RoyBro

Mentor
I just got in the FrSky DJT module for my Turnigy 9x. Unfortunately it doesn't fit into the module bay. It seems like the connector pins don't quite line up. The module slides into the bay most of the way but doesn't latch. As soon as pressure is released it slides out. I tried it on my old 9x with the same results. But it fits perfectly in the Taranis.
Has anyone else had problems with the DJT and Turnigy 9x? :confused:

RoyBro

Mentor
I bought the JR module. But after I started this thread, I found a similar situation on RC Groups and a thread on the HobbyKing forum about this. It seems that this is not an isolated condition. It surprises me that this isn't common knowledge given how many Turnigy 9x transmitters and DJT modules there are out there.

Anyway I fixed the issue and compiled a few pictures. I'm getting ready to post yet another Turnigy 9x mod article. I'm not quite ready to do the telemetry mod, but that will probably be a future mod.

The modification is as follows: 1) Remove the module and locate the pins in the bay 2) Remove the four screws holding the PCB onto the back cover. 3) Slide the PCB away from the back cover so the pins come free of the base. You can just let the PCB hang while cutting the base down. 4) I used a dremel with cutting wheel to trim the height of the base. 5) Slide the pins back through the holes and test the fit of the module. Remove more material if necessary. When it fits, secure the PCB to the back cover with the four screws and reassemble the radio. Clean up any residue with a blade or screw driver.

DJT Mod.jpg

xuzme720

Dedicated foam bender
Mentor
Yeah, sorry. I forgot to tell you that it's not a plug and play to fit the JR module. One of the first things I did when I got my 9X was the backlight/flash/telemetry mods with the Smartieparts stuff. While I was installing all of those mods, I went ahead and did the pins mod at the same time and frankly, it just slipped my mind as needing to be done...too many other things happening at the same time!