bracesport DLG

FoamyDM

Building Fool-Flying Noob
*watching*
Thank you, for the details on your build method. and the inspiration.

mayan

Legendary member
@bracesport I love the way you put attention to the small details. I probably won't build this but am watching and learning from your expreince.

bracesport

Legendary member
@flyboa - I am looking at putting an order in for some smaller gear for the DLG - you run one cell (with a voltage booster?) - and how about the Rx? - seems you solder it all up rather than using connectors - could you share your spec for your current hardware?

Wildthing

Legendary member
A bit more progress today - I decided to make a simple V tail in FB without any chord simply because it’s a first test of the overall concept.

Call me an idiot but I used my micro cable tie method for the hinges again! I like it because it’s mechanical and in my opinion very robust - the PP is a great live hinge, and by folding it in half and wiping the file over the fold it creates a nice hinge! Epoxy the cable tie into holes in the FB edges.

View attachment 125373 View attachment 125374 View attachment 125375 View attachment 125376 View attachment 125377
Just reading through the whole thread, neat idea for hinges.
Don't know if you have ever tried hinge paper but it also works pretty slick.

https://hobbyking.com/en_us/ca-hinge-sheet-180mmx140mmx0-3mm.html

bracesport

Legendary member
@Wildthing - lately I have been taping the hinges, but unless the wing surfaces are very straight I can feel resistance in the hinge - my cable tie version is a bit of work to implement but seems to have no more resistance than taping - all roads lead to Rome!

Last edited:

Wildthing

Legendary member
@Wildthing - lately I have been taping the hinges, but unless the wing surfaces are very straight I can feel resistance in the hinge - my cable tie version is a bit of work to implement but seems to have no more resistance than taping - all roads lead to Rome!

When you use the hinge paper you can cut them any width you want and ca glue them in. Most of the ones I have done are only a 1/2" wide and my guess is they may bend easier then the zip tie. Just food for thought is all. I watch and learn from everyone and try different ideas and pick the ones I like best :ROFLMAO: , sometimes my picks are not necessarily about the performance but how it simplifies the build for me . :)

bracesport

Legendary member
@flyboa - I couldn't get a micro Rx locally so I went with the FSiA6 which is pretty small at 40x21x7 and with the case removed and soldered pins it should work ok - I got a 180mAh 2cell and a micro UBEC to complete the electronics - I should be able to fit these up front - I will post the completed assembly!

bracesport

Legendary member
@flyboa - Finally got the elevator servo and push rod in (bank and yank) and again was wondering about the servo setting - can I ask you what angle of deflection you have on your elevator?

Just wakitng on delivery of the new Rx and battery then I can set the CG.

3CF7C7B3-3A3B-4CFF-BBC6-AAB9EE23C79F.jpeg

bracesport

Legendary member
@flyboa - thankyou kindly - my deflection seemed a bit light but 15 deg looks fine - I think I have been having too much movement in the control surfaces!

bracesport

Legendary member
hi there guys - I finally got the time to assemble and programme the control surfaces of the V tail DLG into my FSi6s - there are four mixes described in the video - ailerons, flaps, and flap/elevator - I can't wait to see if she flies!

@flyboa - AUW is 250g - not bad I think!

IMG_6213.JPG
IMG_6215.JPG
IMG_6216.JPG

Wildthing

Legendary member