bracesport DLG

GliderFlyer

Elite member
@The Hangar - Yes this project is a good one - it is amazing how easy it has been working with this material using the 3D prints for moulds - it will be interesting to see how it performs - a replacement boom would normally cost $150USD so this is a thrifty alternative. :)
How expensive is the material you are using?

bracesport

Legendary member
I originally spent one hundred dollars on 2m x1.2m of 0.8k carbon sheet - the carbon braided tubes are a few dollars each per metre - 500mls of Wests Epoxy - and the 3D printed parts are reasonably thrifty.

I have built several gliders from these materials and still have plenty of carbon sheet still to use.

bracesport

Legendary member
Not great pictures, but this morning I prepped the horizontal stabiliser for fitting to the boom - left to right looks good, but the critical alignment of the horizontal stabiliser with the wing is the biggie - as far as I can see we are within 0.5 degrees (which is probably better than before - nevertheless less I will recheck once the glue sets.

Fuse looks good on the wing! :)

IMG_1450.JPG
IMG_1451.JPG
IMG_1452.JPG

Wildthing

Legendary member
Not great pictures, but this morning I prepped the horizontal stabiliser for fitting to the boom - left to right looks good, but the critical alignment of the horizontal stabiliser with the wing is the biggie - as far as I can see we are within 0.5 degrees (which is probably better than before - nevertheless less I will recheck once the glue sets.

Fuse looks good on the wing! :)

View attachment 191864 View attachment 191865 View attachment 191866
What do you mean .5, your tolerances should be a maximum of .001 :geek::geek:

bracesport

Legendary member
chipping away with the basics - the horizontal stabiliser was previously changed to above the boom so refitting it under the boom meant I needed to swap the control arm to the other side - printed a new one - fitted both stabilisers - so far so good!

IMG_1459.JPG
IMG_1460.JPG
IMG_1461.JPG
IMG_1462.JPG
IMG_1463.JPG

bracesport

Legendary member
The 4 servos, Rx and battery weigh 50g - I am roughly just under the original weight of the BAMF ship (without nose ballast) so it looks likely the overall weight will be a tad higher - my boom is probably the culprit making the tail moment a bit higher.

I said I was not going to go overboard on the finishing, but one thing leads to another and the filler came out! :)

IMG_1468.JPG
IMG_1469.JPG
IMG_1470.JPG
IMG_1471.JPG

bracesport

Legendary member
@The Hangar - yes-sir-ee they are super short - the ailerons need heaps of fine control and the servo arms are at maximum strength at the smallest offset - the aileron horns are setup for 10mm up and heaps of down for braking - they are also offset behind the hinge line to do this with some mechanical assistance. :)

bracesport

Legendary member
I am starting to look at the push rods for the ailerons - the original push rods were carbon with wire ends - I will look to see if they can be recycled (at least one end) - I am keen to get the basic holes in before the final paint. :)

IMG_1499.JPG
IMG_1500.JPG