bracesport DLG

bracesport

Legendary member
Not a lot of progress today - sanded the blocks to fit the poly jig and trimmed the wing core blanks - next I need to sand back the leading edges.

B565E159-9782-4084-A956-ADC1A64B88CE.jpeg
926160E8-0FEE-4ADC-961E-BF47748B8ACE.jpeg

bracesport

Legendary member
@FoamyDM - yes, not bad progress, but for sure, a second one would be better! I think the MIG welding wire used for the hot wire was not perfect as when cutting at a good speed it would snap - maybe there are better options out there!

bracesport

Legendary member
Too much to do and so little time (can be frustrating) - shortly I will need to make my spars, so I have layered up a single layer top cap (0.2mm) and a stack of cloths for the actual spar (1.0mm) - no vac bagging, just weight - with the left over epoxy I did a trial for the throwing peg (if it is not thick enough I can add some layers post moulding) - I also got the leading edges mostly done.

IMG_2710.JPG
IMG_2711.JPG
IMG_2712.JPG
IMG_2725.JPG
IMG_2728.JPG

Last edited:

bracesport

Legendary member
The wing peg is out of the mould (looking good) and the wing core spars are epoxied in - the spars turned out at 0.9mm thick - the spars have a 2cm wide bottom cap - hopefully the bottom caps will sit tight against the cores while gluing - each of the spars for the wing sections overlap with a tapered gluing face - I have covered the protruding spar ends with tape so the do not glue - the reason is I will keep the four wing panels separated after gluing until I skin the bottom surface - this will allow me to handle them in the gluing phase a bit easier.

IMG_2738.JPG
IMG_2743.JPG
IMG_2739.JPG
IMG_2740.JPG
IMG_2741.JPG
IMG_2742.JPG

bracesport

Legendary member
here are the bits and pieces I need for my make/break flap hinge mechanism - the wire is a prototype for the wire that will be embedded into each flap - the clevis will fit onto the blade section of the hinge arm - the wires from the flap will plug into the hinge arm

0DD8833E-2DE5-4C83-B7F7-36FF77DE7E77.jpeg
E753E573-35A8-4CBE-8F51-CFAD3B750DD6.jpeg

bracesport

Legendary member
Today I prepped the cores for bagging - spars turned out pretty good after sanding the tips - I needed to press in a recess for the kevlar hinges - my kevlar was a 10cm wide strip which I cut down (damn hard to cut - but I guess that's the point)!

The cores weigh 70g and the skins weigh 60g, so I think I will get close to being under my 150g target - the commercial guys are between 100 and 120g - so I will be happy enough!

IMG_2796.JPG
IMG_2797.JPG
IMG_2798.JPG
IMG_2804.JPG
IMG_2805.JPG

bracesport

Legendary member
testing the vac bag - I just use a home vac seal and by pass the tube going into the in-built nozzle - once I pull the vacuum I pinch off the tube - this time I am using off the shelf vac bag plastic and sticky tape.

IMG_2811.JPG
IMG_2812.JPG

bracesport

Legendary member
my BAMF-zilla is up and running - all balanced and an AUW 262 - all the servos and surfaces are re trimmed - I wonder how close I can get with my new build!

IMG_2824.JPG
IMG_2819 2.JPG

bracesport

Legendary member
back to the build - this morning I bagged the underside skin - quite a process to do the poly wing in one go - nevertheless, it is done and hopefully all will go well enough - I reinforced the panel joins and throwing tip, but other wise it is just 100g 30 deg bias cloth - I will keep blipping the vacuum for a few hours!

IMG_2832.JPG
IMG_2833.JPG
IMG_2834.JPG
IMG_2835.JPG
IMG_2836.JPG

bracesport

Legendary member
I am also chipping away on my make/break flap control hinges and pushrods - it is starting to look possible - the assemblies will be inserted through the front holes and then seated into place at the back- the bronze rod is just for show in the pictures.

IMG_2850.JPG
IMG_2851.JPG

bracesport

Legendary member
The bagging worked well enough, but the spar caps and kevlar hinge material show witness lines - not bad for a first go - I will let the epoxy cure for a few days as it is still a bit green - the LE and TE has been cleaned up and I have added some epoxy to create the wing screw mount points and a small section to allow some under cuts where the wire horns for the flaps will locate - I still need to add the aileron wing wires.

IMG_2858.JPG
IMG_2861.JPG
IMG_2862.JPG

bracesport

Legendary member
a few small jobs on the bench - the fuse is coming together with the tail ready to fit - I am grafting the rear end of my old BAMF which includes the vertical stabiliser and horizontal stabiliser mount - the two boom sections are aligned - I made a jig and grilled the wing mount holes - lastly I am preparing the aileron servo cables and channels in the wing.

IMG_2888.JPG
IMG_2889.JPG
IMG_2890.JPG
IMG_2892.JPG
IMG_2893.JPG
IMG_2894.JPG
IMG_2895.JPG

bracesport

Legendary member
@Wildthing - Ha, don't look too closely!

To be honest, I am very happy and really appreciate the comments - but sadly there is always something you wish you had done better - I suspect my wing will be on the heavy side - strong, but heavy!