bracesport DLG

bracesport

Legendary member
I am getting ready to bag the top skins of the wing - I am sure this wing will be classified as a 'heavy layup' - nevertheless if it ends very stiff I will know I can reduce the weight with a V2 - even my aileron servo wires are probably over spec'd - what a learning curve!

IMG_2915.JPG
ertheless
IMG_2916.JPG
IMG_2917.JPG

bracesport

Legendary member
I fitted my 'make/break' flap hinge assembly - the pushrods rotate the hinged sleeves - the wing flap wires will drop into the sleeves for flap function - for good or for bad we are moving forward.

IMG_2931.JPG
IMG_2932.JPG
IMG_2933.JPG
IMG_2934.JPG
IMG_2935.JPG

bracesport

Legendary member
On goes the top skin - I think with hindsight I may have got the wrong type of CF cloth - it is 30 deg bias cloth which is stitched together rather than woven (which makes it stronger) but the stitch lines are showing up as small surface ripples (maybe my mylar is too thin) - my wing is going to end up more like a balsa wing with shrink film skins than a wing out of a mould (he he) - I feel like this will end up as a prototype!

IMG_2968.JPG
IMG_2969.JPG
IMG_2970.JPG

bracesport

Legendary member
I was pleasantly surprised this morning with the wing out of the bag - I have trimmed it up and will let the epoxy cure for a few days - you can see the surface in the close up has the slight ripple from the thread that holds the cloth together - all in all it is pretty good for a home job.

IMG_2980.JPG
IMG_2981.JPG
IMG_2983.JPG

bracesport

Legendary member
I took the opportunity to dry fit the wing and the fuse - still a bit of water to go under the bridge (maybe a flood) to tidy everything up, but overall it is not too bad.

I drilled the wing mounts with the stepped holes to fit onto the 'nutserts' in the fuse and rebated a channel on the underside of the wing for the flap hinge assembly (I will detail that later) - once that is tickled up a bit more I can tackle the cutting of the flaps and aileron hinges.

So far the wing feels a bit more flexible than my BAMF but I wonder if the polyhedral which has a curved shape naturally makes it feel like that.

IMG_3006.JPG
IMG_3007.JPG
IMG_3008.JPG
IMG_3009.JPG
IMG_3010.JPG
IMG_3012.JPG

bracesport

Legendary member
I am making a start on cutting the flap and aileron hinges using a Dremel blade as a scraper - you can see the kevlar starting to show - works well.

IMG_3025.JPG
IMG_3029.JPG
IMG_3031.JPG

Last edited:

bracesport

Legendary member
Cutting in the aileron servos was easier than I thought it would be - I checked the continuity of the wires in the wing and everything seems to be OK - next step I need to make the channels for the aileron push rods and then fit and solder in the servos.

IMG_3048.JPG
IMG_3049.JPG
IMG_3050.JPG
IMG_3051.JPG

bracesport

Legendary member
sadly I had a little whoopsie with my aileron wing wires - to cut a long story short I managed to nick the signal wires when I crossed over the spars and they ended up shorting on the CF skin - this morning I did some key hole surgery and sorted that out - sadly I had to go backwards to go forwards but we will put that behind us and move on with the chin up!

I did get the top mount slots in for the aileron horns and pushrods in without issue.

IMG_3068.JPG
IMG_3069.JPG

bracesport

Legendary member
I glued in the servos and control horns and all went well - there is more than enough aileron movement to work with - lesson learned, I could have made the top slot for the push rod a tad shorter at the top end.

IMG_3088.JPG
IMG_3090.JPG
IMG_3093.JPG
IMG_3094.JPG

bracesport

Legendary member
It was flaps day today - firstly I made the control wires to embed in the flaps - I am looking to get about 80deg of movement - 10deg up and 70deg down - so far so good, the wires seem to do the job - I have tacked everything in with CA and once cured I will get the front servos in - all going well I will then add epoxy into the flaps to further cement the wires.

IMG_3105.JPG
IMG_3106.JPG
IMG_3107.JPG
IMG_3108.JPG
IMG_3109.JPG
IMG_3110.JPG
IMG_3111.JPG