bracesport DLG

bracesport

Legendary member
essentially 1.5m x1.0m - maybe out of one sheet of FB!

Screen Shot 2019-06-27 at 1.39.07 PM.png

bracesport

Legendary member
@flyboa - sorry I made this demo piece in hast and over sanded the areas marked with the circles - my sample piece was too small and kept moving - as you know it is easier with the actual wing blanks!

So for sanding, the aim is to sand the top and bottom tapers identically (in my sample I sanded one piece then slit it in half) - I left 10mm of paper at the CG point 1/3 of wing size) to act as a guide for sanding - when glued face to face with the bottom flat on the table the aerofoil is formed - then we add the front caps for sanding the LE to your taste - I finished by cutting in the aileron (flyboa makes his aileron separately I think)?

It is a good system - just sand with care - take your time - I use Gorilla glue between the halves - tape is optional!

IMG_6623.JPG
IMG_6624.JPG
IMG_6625.JPG
IMG_6626.JPG
IMG_6627.JPG

Last edited:

bracesport

Legendary member
I couldn't help myself and set the 3D printer working on the DLGv2 parts over the weekend - hopefully they will print flawlessly and I can make the main wing next week!

Wildthing

Legendary member
So for the main wing, will there be a spar or something in there for strength or just straight FB ? What about the dihedral and joining the 2 wing sections?

bracesport

Legendary member
@Wildthing - just foam - flyboa does not even tape the card, but I usually do because of the moisture here - the wings are remarkably strong - delicate in the grand scheme of things, but strong enough for this - you glue in fibre tape at the throw peg - the dihedral is also glued with gorilla glue and taped on the surface - in my ship the wing is glued to the fuse with hot glue - the fuse has about a 100x30 glue surface with the dihedral built in.

Wildthing

Legendary member
@Wildthing - just foam - flyboa does not even tape the card, but I usually do because of the moisture here - the wings are remarkably strong - delicate in the grand scheme of things, but strong enough for this - you glue in fibre tape at the throw peg - the dihedral is also glued with gorilla glue and taped on the surface - in my ship the wing is glued to the fuse with hot glue - the fuse has about a 100x30 glue surface with the dihedral built in.
And in my mind I would tear it apart in one secondf with a quick loop or something and of course build it way stronger and of course be way heavier :D :D . Guys like @quorneg can build using candy floss and carry 50lbs of weight, not me :D :D

bracesport

Legendary member
@Wildthing and @buzzbomb - I got the iron out at last - a real iron for shirts and pants - I used templates, a1mm wire at the bottom edge and a ruler for the top edge - I was hoping that would give me some accuracy!

Worked well - heat setting was ‘cotton’ and it formed in seconds!

6708C1FE-FA07-4C76-A594-53CE6C0C0A3F.jpeg

43E59DC4-B0B6-4187-9F43-76BDC02BABBD.jpeg

bracesport

Legendary member
This was another speed build test and the paper sticks well after ironing, so it is conceivable to laminate the halves with no paper removed.

I added the foam cap and sanded the leading edge and cut in the aileron - it was a bit rushed but I can see the benefit of no sanding - to make a wing, I should imagine the templates are a must otherwise over 750mm the compression will be very inconsistent!

Next time I would use a 0.8 wire for the TE thickness

B88B8BBA-F0F5-4AE5-ACBB-40191C352162.jpeg
88D1D818-FE1D-479D-9A0A-4B829FF17DC2.jpeg

Wildthing

Legendary member
This was another speed build test and the paper sticks well after ironing, so it is conceivable to laminate the halves with no paper removed.

I added the foam cap and sanded the leading edge and cut in the aileron - it was a bit rushed but I can see the benefit of no sanding - to make a wing, I should imagine the templates are a must otherwise over 750mm the compression will be very inconsistent!

Next time I would use a 0.8 wire for the TE thickness

Sweet,

I worked on the baron plans lastnight, not only the wing but horizontal and vertical will be done this way. This way I can also judge if there is any improvement on handling and speed.