bracesport DLG

bracesport

Legendary member
the fuse and tail printing want well - I hope I can get the CF boom and servos in this week - to aid assembly I plan to use servo stoppers!

IMG_6681.jpg

bracesport

Legendary member
@Wildthing @flyboa - thinking more about my ironing tests in the weekend I am going to try to flatten three faces with enough flat at the CG line to force a curve into the chord - the ironing works really well with a point to point taper using metal guides - given the ironing process secures the paper to the surface very well I plan to remove the paper from the flat sides for glueing - this will require both halves to flex during the glueing, but might have the benefit of better paper adhesion and a good foam to foam bonding - I feel another experiment is in order!

The purpose is to remove sanding (or most of it)!

IMG_6683.jpg

Last edited:

bracesport

Legendary member
Using the iron at work I tried again - sadly it had a little water in it and created a bit of steam - the steam loosened the paper, but still did a great job on the tapers, so you guessed it I peeled the paper and glued the halves foam to foam as shown below.

currently waiting for the Gorilla glue to set!

IMG_6682.jpeg

Wildthing

Legendary member
Using the iron at work I tried again - sadly it had a little water in it and created a bit of steam - the steam loosened the paper, but still did a great job on the tapers, so you guessed it I peeled the paper and glued the halves foam to foam as shown below.

currently waiting for the Gorilla glue to set!

View attachment 135032
I just did a experimental piece. Oh, bare foam when you get it really hot it will stick to normal paper , basically you can melt them together. ( with me not using FB I don't want it to stick :D so I experiment with different paper and parchment paper is just awesome, I can melt the crap out of the foam and they won't stick together. The reason for me to use paper was because I was using the sock and it would stick and I didn't want to get the iron filthy. The initial picture shows four layer but I took one off, the second & third
2019_0701_124740_001.JPG
2019_0701_150523_002.JPG
2019_0701_150530_003.JPG
picture is all iron :)

bracesport

Legendary member
here is the sample from the info @ post#123 - actually it worked a treat - this wing foil is 165mmx11mm for the DLG - there is no spar, just a two sheet lamination a-la flyboa - no sanding other than the LE cap!

@flyboa - now I need to try a full wing!

IMG_6685.JPG
IMG_6686.JPG
IMG_6687.JPG
IMG_6688.jpg
IMG_6689.jpg

bracesport

Legendary member
I printed the templates for the wing and tail feathers - it is time to get busy and build me a fuse (still need to find some 2mm balsa and some more FB)!

IMG_6695.JPG
IMG_6696.JPG
IMG_6697.JPG

bracesport

Legendary member
I am thinking I will attempt to hinge the feathers with my 'mini' cable tie method! The balsa is about 2.5mm thick so a trial will be in order first! :LOL:

bracesport

Legendary member
in making a lightweight wing in the style of flyboa we would remove the paper from the faces that are gluers together - if we use the ironing method the paper re-sticks to the foam when it melts - today I removed the paper and used baking paper between the iron and the foam which works well - progress!

IMG_6708.JPG
IMG_6710.JPG
IMG_6711.JPG

Wildthing

Legendary member
in making a lightweight wing in the style of flyboa we would remove the paper from the faces that are gluers together - if we use the ironing method the paper re-sticks to the foam when it melts - today I removed the paper and used baking paper between the iron and the foam which works well - progress!
The baking paper is probably the same as parchment paper. You can get the foam to molten lava and it doesn't stick ;) .

bracesport

Legendary member
here we go with the micro-cable-tie hinges - I use a cold chisel to knock a V into the cable ties - this time I cut slots into the balsa and used the CA glue to lock them in place - spacing between hinges is 90mm - PP should have an awesome 'flex' life

my 'Vista' and 'V tail DLG' already use these hinges without issue!

IMG_6716.JPG
IMG_6714.JPG
IMG_6715.JPG
IMG_6712.jpg
IMG_6713.jpg

Last edited:

bracesport

Legendary member
I realised I had made the vertical stabiliser mount for 2mm Balsa 9turned out to be 2.5mm) so I will print a new one! In the meantime, it was time to start the tail assembly starting with the horizontal stabiliser onto the boom followed by fitting the first servo and pushrod - this is my first time fastening control surfaces and control arms with CA so I hope it will be robust - I also opted for servo savers to make the adjustment easier (another first for me) - the two 0.8mm pushrods in the boom will cost me some weight, but I am not confident yet to do a pull string (maybe next time)!

IMG_6718.JPG
IMG_6719.jpeg
IMG_6721.JPG
IMG_6720.JPG

Last edited: