bracesport DLG

Wildthing

Legendary member
Where do you put it all? I like building to but I have calmed down a bit :D :D , I have a room full of planes as it is, if I didn't crash or decommission planes the house would be full :)

mayan

Legendary member
Where do you put it all? I like building to but I have calmed down a bit :D:D , I have a room full of planes as it is, if I didn't crash or decommission planes the house would be full :)
He keeps this part a secret but he’s got a house within his house just for planes, but if he told you that he’d have to kill you :).

bracesport

Legendary member
@flyboa - the wing turned out wonderfully - nice and flat and stiff - now I have to do the same for the other side, then do the two LE's at the same time! It was the first go, but using guides and templating the wire cutting, there was next to no sanding required - I left the TE a tad thicker, but next time I will use a thinner guidewire!

IMG_6836.JPG
IMG_6834.JPG
IMG_6835.JPG
IMG_6839.JPG

Last edited:

bracesport

Legendary member
@Wildthing @mayan - I have six planes in flying condition, my hotliner (not setup), the Vista, the Pheonix hybrid, DLGv1, the Versa, and Xanders glider. :p Plus four under construction, a DLGv2, the Pheonix hybridv2, and two spitfires! Yikes - crikey, I am out of control - no excuses for flying now!

I do need to sort out the storage space too!

Last edited:

bracesport

Legendary member
@Wildthing - nothing special - the DLGv1 is gorilla glues and taped - the mounting surface to the fuse also provides some structure - @flyboa has an even small wing mount surface - they are delicate, but equally, they are very light!

I am laminating the other wing half today.

Wildthing

Legendary member
@Wildthing - nothing special - the DLGv1 is gorilla glues and taped - the mounting surface to the fuse also provides some structure - @flyboa has an even small wing mount surface - they are delicate, but equally, they are very light!

I am laminating the other wing half today.

That's where my brain kicks in and says that can't be strong enough and I always over do it :D , I have a hard time building light :)

bracesport

Legendary member
I have the second wing underway - 45minutes from cutting the blanks, hot wire cutting the tapers, through to glueing - now we wait again!

flyboa

Elite member
@flyboa - two wings piece weigh in at 150g (I used a slightly higher quality FB with a stiffer paper surface).
I thought that foam board was different. Was the paper hard to remove?

My new 1.5m wing with DTFB weighs only 68g. I sanded a bit more taper to the LE and only used one strip of foam for the leading edge cap.

bracesport

Legendary member
@flyboa - 1500x165mm - yes the foam is denser and the paper a little stiffer (also 6.0mm not 5.5). this foam is pretty stiff so I may try to sand the lamination without a cap - it is amazing the weight difference - I also have the paper on both sides of the aileron - regardless, the process is pretty cool and I am sure it will fly - your input has been invaluable! :LOL:

and yes - the paper is much harder to remove!