DLG wing bent

jdam

Hi everybody, quick question from a DLG newbie,
I recently bought a Long Shot 4 DLG which seems to be a very nice product but after some flight time (a some light crashes) the wing were the launch pin is located started to bend upward.
IMG_20170717_165342.jpg
IMG_20170717_165319.jpg

Am I doing something wrong with my launch ?

Thanks !

micro_builder

How are you launching it? The wing (lift) should support the glider right as you start your spin and your fingers are basically just holding the launch peg just enough to keep it from flying out of your hand until the release. It may happen depending on how you hold it just prior to launch too...if youre supporting the weight of the glider by the tip just before you start the spin, it can stress it and crease/crack it.

I'd get either some foam safe CA or epoxy and fill the crack under the skin. If its warped or creased, a bit of warm water can usually straighten it out (though I havent tried that myself).

Theres a few nice slow-mo videos on youtube of people showing their launch techniques you could check out too. I miss my DLG...

Nick

jdam

How are you launching it? The wing (lift) should support the glider right as you start your spin and your fingers are basically just holding the launch peg just enough to keep it from flying out of your hand until the release. It may happen depending on how you hold it just prior to launch too...if youre supporting the weight of the glider by the tip just before you start the spin, it can stress it and crease/crack it.

I'd get either some foam safe CA or epoxy and fill the crack under the skin. If its warped or creased, a bit of warm water can usually straighten it out (though I havent tried that myself).

Theres a few nice slow-mo videos on youtube of people showing their launch techniques you could check out too. I miss my DLG...

Nick

You clearly confirmed what I suspected, I supported too much of the glider weight before/during throw. Wing around the launch peg show signs of fatigue.

Thank for the advice ! I will change my launch method radically :p

micro_builder

No problem :) DLGs are great fun, a good launch technique is almost an art in itself...the height the pros reach is nothing short of amazing.

Nick

Redflier

Launch Mode
I recently stumbled across the FT video where David Windestal demonstrated his DLG. I was inspired!

I've dipped my toe in the water by getting a Whipit, but I see it's easy to get several hundreds of pounds into this area...