Help! Do Fatsharks need antennas to see picture?

CMadman

I’ve tried
that might be an issue with video display from the Parrot Bebop. Wifi video connections aren't the greatest, and tend to lag horribly. I had a Blade Glimpse that had Wifi capabilities to capture pictures and video in flight, but it was consistently 1-2 seconds behind the movement (when it actually managed to connect up).

It could be either connection, or possibly that the app itself will not allow output through the lightning to HDMI adapter, for HDCP (High Bandwidth Digital Copy Protection) reasons. Can you connect your phone through the adapter to a TV, and does that work? Have you tried connecting say, a DVD/Blu-Ray player to your goggles to see if a video feed comes through via the HDMI?[/Q

I’m not on the app atm. It’s the whole thing in general that’s causing issues. My phone should be mirroring straight to the goggles. My home screen comes on and they’re are black lines across the screen. Makes no sense. I’m starting to wonder if I should have got an android adapter perhaps that would make a difference. Tried different power sources and the only one that displays picture from my phone to the goggles is my amazon fire stick block but like I said the black lines are there. I’m getting the sense it is an adapter issue.

CMadman

And the fact iOS is just a pain in the dick when working with anything that isn’t apple. Which is why I’ve always hated apple and my iPhone. (Wasn’t my choice. Family plan switch) lol

CMadman

I’ve got 4 phones 2 iPhone 6S plus an iPhoneX and an Android HTC. Don’t ask why. Lol I’m about to just buy an android adapter to see if it’s a connectivity issue within the adapter.

CMadman

The HdMi works perfectly when I hooked it up to my Xbox and directly to the goggles. And yet everyone in I.T I know can’t figure it out. I get “well that’s weird.” Lol so I’m guessing for whatever reason the signal is partially being rejected through the new hdmi adapter I got. It’s Always somethin lol never fails.

sprzout

Knower of useless information
Mentor
The HdMi works perfectly when I hooked it up to my Xbox and directly to the goggles. And yet everyone in I.T I know can’t figure it out. I get “well that’s weird.” Lol so I’m guessing for whatever reason the signal is partially being rejected through the new hdmi adapter I got. It’s Always somethin lol never fails.

Next question - is this HDMI adapter an official Apple branded adapter, or is it a 3rd party adapter? Some of them are...Well, of poor quality, and so they have a habit of failing.

Reactions: FDS

sprzout

Mentor

It might very well be the adapter. I've seen similar issues recently; our club president had an HDMI adapter that he had hooked up from his iPad to a projector via HDMI, to display slides and such for our meetings. He had it hooked up and after about 10 minutes of use, the adapter made a popping noise, the video went out, and there was actually a scorch mark on it. Replaced it with the same brand, the next month we had the same issue, only no smoke/scorching - it just stopped working.

It was a cheap one he'd picked up at Fry's Electronics; in trying to save a few bucks, it turns out it wasn't decent quality.

Now, one thing I DID find (and this may be your issue) is the amount of power coming in to the adapter that you currently have. If you are trying to power it off of a USB power pack/backup battery, it may not be putting out enough amps. Many of those backup batteries operate at 1.1A or 2A, and your adapter may require 2.1A or possibly even 5A to get enough power to push the signal.

If you plug your phone in to the adapter and connect it to your TV, and plug in the USB cord to say, your phone's AC power plug, are you able to mirror out from the iPhone to your TV, and just see the desktop/home screen of your iPhone? If so, then try recording a video on your phone and playing it back to see if it displays on the TV. If THAT works, then I would suggest moving on to something like YouTube, and lastly, the app that connects to your drone, and just see if you can get video to the TV. This will rule out several possible issues - 1) Power to the adapter; 2) Whether it's a codec/copyright issue with the device, and lastly, 3) If it's somehting in the app itself that won't allow display through the HDMI adapter.

CMadman

It might very well be the adapter. I've seen similar issues recently; our club president had an HDMI adapter that he had hooked up from his iPad to a projector via HDMI, to display slides and such for our meetings. He had it hooked up and after about 10 minutes of use, the adapter made a popping noise, the video went out, and there was actually a scorch mark on it. Replaced it with the same brand, the next month we had the same issue, only no smoke/scorching - it just stopped working.

It was a cheap one he'd picked up at Fry's Electronics; in trying to save a few bucks, it turns out it wasn't decent quality.

Now, one thing I DID find (and this may be your issue) is the amount of power coming in to the adapter that you currently have. If you are trying to power it off of a USB power pack/backup battery, it may not be putting out enough amps. Many of those backup batteries operate at 1.1A or 2A, and your adapter may require 2.1A or possibly even 5A to get enough power to push the signal.

If you plug your phone in to the adapter and connect it to your TV, and plug in the USB cord to say, your phone's AC power plug, are you able to mirror out from the iPhone to your TV, and just see the desktop/home screen of your iPhone? If so, then try recording a video on your phone and playing it back to see if it displays on the TV. If THAT works, then I would suggest moving on to something like YouTube, and lastly, the app that connects to your drone, and just see if you can get video to the TV. This will rule out several possible issues - 1) Power to the adapter; 2) Whether it's a codec/copyright issue with the device, and lastly, 3) If it's somehting in the app itself that won't allow display through the HDMI adapter.
Thank you very much for your input sir I will try this after dinner.

CMadman

I just read the about this item on the link I sent you. And it says it’s for 5th generation iPhones. I have a 6S plus. Would that matter??

sprzout

Mentor
I just read the about this item on the link I sent you. And it says it’s for 5th generation iPhones. I have a 6S plus. Would that matter??

In THEORY, it shouldn't be a problem; most Apple products are backwards compatible. The 5th generation that I THINK they're referring to is the iPod Touch, which is an older device. That said, those instructions are poorly translated - it looks like it was explained by a Chinese electrical engineer to a Chinese technical writer who wrote up how to use it, and then a Chinese person who learned English as a second or third language wrote up the English instructions. This is why I think you should test video just to see if you can get video output from the phone to the TV first - that will help determine if it's bad cables, bad adapters, not the proper power, or even if it's a restriction within the app.

For example, I have an iPhone 7 and an Apple TV, which allows me to do wireless displays of video from my iPhone to my Apple TV and big screen TV via AirPlay. However, there are limitations in that I have not been able to AirPlay some video apps/streaming from certain sites because the app itself won't allow me to do it for legal/copyright reasons. That MIGHT be a similar issue with going from your iPhone to another device via HDMI, such as your goggles, hence why I'm suggesting the troubleshooting steps previously mentioned. :) It's more likely a power issue or faulty adapter, but at least we can troubleshoot scenarios to narrow it down and eliminate. Scientific method. :) LOL

CMadman

Okay so. It works through the tv.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 0

CMadman

I’m guessing my initial diagnosis might be the fact that one end is a mini and one end isn’t. I’m really dumbfounded right now.

CMadman

And I played my Xbox one X through the HdMi cable through the goggles and it was pristine. So I’m so beyond lost.

CMadman

And I’m sketched out too try this powersupply if it’s a juice problem coming through to the goggles.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 0