Do I need a Taranis ??

SteveRoby

Hi guys.
Do I need a Taranis ?? Should I buy a Taranis or just save my $$.

I have a Turnigy 9x with FRsky with telemetry & ER9x
So apart from better gimbols, what will the Taranis give me over what I have ??

Cheers

Last edited:

RoyBro

Mentor
Right now, it doesn't much matter if you DO need a Taranis. You can't get one unless you get lucky and stumble on someone who unexpectedly has them in stock, or get on a waiting list for one and wait for months. Xuzme720 has been on a waiting list since September.
But you can always flash your 9x with OpenTX, the same OS as the Taranis.

SteveRoby

Taranis is in stock at Hobbyking (mode 1)
thats why I asked.

Edit: ..... out of stock again..... That didnt last long. :p
But anyway, what advantages over the 9x does the Taranis have ?

Last edited:

earthsciteach

You are asking the wrong question. Of course you don't NEED a Taranis, just like I didn't NEED that Albatross I bought a couple of weeks ago. The question is do you WANT a Taranis! And, if you are like me, the answer is a resounding YES!!!:D

Maybe Thurmond will weigh in with his experience with the Taranis. The advantages that I see are greater model memory and, it will play music. Ok, the music thing isn't an advantage, but it can play music.

On a more serious note, here's a discussion about this very subject on RCgroups. I scanned through it and don't know that it really answers any question, but here it is: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1872078

xuzme720

Dedicated foam bender
Mentor
Better gimbals, built-in Frsky transmitter + Module bay on back for another protocol. For example, throw an ORangeRX module and you can bind to Parkzone BNF's, or you can expand the channel count with a Frsky module in there. It has sliders on the side for better/more convenient flap control or use them for a camera gimbal. It has the voice capability that the Dx8 has, i.e. it can provide commentary on switch positions, battery voltage, telemetry readouts, etc.

For $200, it has capabilities of radios running into the $1000's and it's software/firmware is completely upgradable.
For me, it's a no brainer, and I have a 9X with all the mods done to it, FW flash, backlight, Frsky telemetry mod to display on radio LCD screen, even the screw mod that replaces the stock screws with machine screws and inserts so taking the back off doesn't mess up the plastic the screws go into.

tramsgar

Few things are as relative as "need"... So with feature sets compared with what you got and the Taranis, is there a feature that would enable to do what you're failing at today, or that you would do if that feature was present in your current system? If not, it just might fill a more abstract need on the above linked hierarchy =).

SteveRoby

OK, next time I'll just push the button & buy. I'll have to wait now for the next batch at HKing. :p
My 9X has the LCD FRsky telemetry display bolted on, so I can get low volt alarm on the planes lipo. I presume the taranis has that
built in ??

The the new question will be : If I buy a Taranis, do I still keep my 9x & dx6i ??
Do I need a backup radio , just in case.

tramsgar

My 9X has the LCD FRsky telemetry display bolted on, so I can get low volt alarm on the planes lipo. I presume the taranis has that built in ??

Yep.

The the new question will be : If I buy a Taranis, do I still keep my 9x & dx6i ??
Do I need a backup radio , just in case.

Of course you need (would have use for) a buddy box when you lure fresh unsuspecting blood into our hobby. =)

RoyBro

Mentor
OK, next time I'll just push the button & buy.

Now that's the spirit.

BTW, what is your location? The mode 1 radios tend to stay in stock a bit longer than the mode 2. I don't know if the mode 2 sell faster or if they get more mode 1 in.

Good luck.

lonewolf7717

SHOOT, I'm amazed we were even able to keep planes in the air prior to the Taranis....true pioneers! ( see jovial sarcasm with a markedly pronounce hint of cynicism) just playing man....I'm in the hunt for one as well, just may have to wait awhile....tired of seeing my big toe sticking out the end of my only pair of shoes.

xuzme720

Dedicated foam bender
Mentor
SHOOT, I'm amazed we were even able to keep planes in the air prior to the Taranis....true pioneers! ( see jovial sarcasm with a markedly pronounce hint of cynicism) just playing man....I'm in the hunt for one as well, just may have to wait awhile....tired of seeing my big toe sticking out the end of my only pair of shoes.
Duct tape works wonders on those well worn broken in shoes. A layer inside and then one outside so the sticky sides are touching. Magic marker to match the color. That will hold for at least long enough to get the big T! :)

Just a note to anyone considering getting the Taranis that hasn't used telemetry before. You WILL still need to get the sensors that plug into the Rx to send the signal back to the radio. Those are separate since everyone will want to monitor different parameters. The Rx/Tx do talk to each other with no sensors and will still give you the signal strength reading by itself. They are listed as TSSI and RSSI.
Here is the Frsky site that lists the sensors that can be used for telemetry. The advantage of the Taranis is that the feedback is displayed right on the Tx lcd screen rather than having to add a separate display. AND you can setup audio alerts to have the radio tell you instead of having to look at the Tx.

lonewolf7717

Duct tape works wonders on those well worn broken in shoes. A layer inside and then one outside so the sticky sides are touching. Magic marker to match the color. That will hold for at least long enough to get the big T! :)

Just a note to anyone considering getting the Taranis that hasn't used telemetry before. You WILL still need to get the sensors that plug into the Rx to send the signal back to the radio. Those are separate since everyone will want to monitor different parameters. The Rx/Tx do talk to each other with no sensors and will still give you the signal strength reading by itself. They are listed as TSSI and RSSI.
Here is the Frsky site that lists the sensors that can be used for telemetry. The advantage of the Taranis is that the feedback is displayed right on the Tx lcd screen rather than having to add a separate display. AND you can setup audio alerts to have the radio tell you instead of having to look at the Tx.
Long time frsky 9x guy here but have never taken the dive into the full deck available to frsky patrons. Does anyone know, if I did choose to start using the telemetry function (sensors aside) I would still have to do some soldering and trace cutting modifications inside my 9x v2 right? Oh and of course dump the standard er9x for the frsky version.

xuzme720

Dedicated foam bender
Mentor
I used the smartieparts board for a no solder option, also completely reversible if necessary. and since the display that Frsky has runs the same price, it seemed like a no brainer in my case since I needed the space above my radio for my FPV screen

lonewolf7717

I need to look at my smartieparts board, unfortunately think it predates newer versions with telem accommodation

Last edited:

xuzme720

Dedicated foam bender
Mentor
No, this is a separate board that just plugs in. should work with any kind of flash mod, incudling the older smartieparts boards. A small hole in the case for the wires to pass through is the only mod that needs to be done and I removed the pins from the plug so I could drill a smaller hole that what they recommended. Just big enough for the 2 wires to fit and it's almost invisible.

lonewolf7717

No, this is a separate board that just plugs in. should work with any kind of flash mod, incudling the older smartieparts boards. A small hole in the case for the wires to pass through is the only mod that needs to be done and I removed the pins from the plug so I could drill a smaller hole that what they recommended. Just big enough for the 2 wires to fit and it's almost invisible.
SWEET! I am all about that, I mean I get the DIY thing but no point in reinventing the wheel. Thanks man.....sorry about the thread hijack, I will hush up now.