Do I need to change anything of what I am going to get?

Hey! Sorry, this is my 4th post, but I'd better be safe than sorry.
I've put together a list of things I need to get, a Bix3 included.
Here's the list of things I'm ordering from HobbyKing:
All bought from the European warehouse to minimise shipping costs.
Then I'm getting a DJT module made by FrSky with a D8R-II plus reciever, which I'll buy elsewhere (there is someone I can buy one from).

Is that good? Do I need to change anything?

Thanks!
Nikolai

ztoon

Gone with the Mistral
Hi,
Choices looks good.

Consider using a LiFe battery for your Tx, the charger you selected can handle it.
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/...g_1500mAH_LiFe_3S_9_9v_Transmitter_pack_.html
Video (battery options) below is for Taranis, but works also for 9X & 9XR.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x6b7NvbPzP8

If you have some "free shipping dead weight", use it to order some glue (you'll find out you need many diffrents ones...), reinforced tape (if you don't have any) + maybe one spare servo.

Last edited:

Ron B

Posted a thousand or more times
if you bought the Imax ac/dc charger you would not need a power source as it comes with both cords and you would save money .

pressalltheknobs

HK actually recommend this battery for the 9XR and I assume the 9XR PRO although it doesn't actually state that. I suspect it fits and has the correct plugs for the 9XRPRO but I would double check.

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/...d_11_1v_3s_2200mAh_1_5C_Transmitter_Pack.html

It's a lipo but has built in safety protection. Not sure why they did that since a LiFe would be a better choice from what I know

The LiFe ztoon references is a good choice for a TX battery but I'm not sure if it has the correct connectors for the 9XR PRO so you need to check that if you prefer that one.

Possibly the 9XR PRO uses the balance connector so any 3S will work but best to know for sure or you may need to modify your battery to get the TX to work. Requires soldering and care to avoid shorting the leads...like not cutting them both at once...so you don't want that

Also the 9XR may have some kind of charging circuitry and if it is not right for the battery you choose you will need to charge the battery outside the TX. If you use a LIPO you probably should do that anyway but it is annoying and the safety protected one probably mitigates the issues. Yet another thing to check! Not sure why HK make things so difficult but probably it's to get you to explore the store. Who knows!

Personally I'm not a fan of the 9XR PRO and I think you should look at some reviews before you part with your cash. The capability are fine and with the frSky module the range and radio connection should be good but the ergonomics and build quality are a bit suspect imo. Not to mention the looks... but each to his own.

Hi,
Choices looks good.i

Consider using a LiFe battery for your Tx, the charger you selected can handle it.
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/...g_1500mAH_LiFe_3S_9_9v_Transmitter_pack_.html
Video (battery options) below is for Taranis, but works also for 9X & 9XR.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x6b7NvbPzP8

If you have some "free shipping dead weight", use it to order some glue (you'll find out you need many diffrents ones...), reinforced tape (if you don't have any) + maybe one spare servo.

Hey there, thanks for the answer!
I had really thought about the transmitter battery, but never thought about another battery type.
I'm not sure how much deadweight I have, but I do have some UHU POR glue that I used on my F949 Cessna 182 foam 3ch airplane. I do have 4 old hitec servos, that my dad never used, that I can use. (Flaps for the Bix3! :D)

Thanks,
Nikolai

if you bought the Imax ac/dc charger you would not need a power source as it comes with both cords and you would save money .

Hey, nice suggestion. The thing is, it's not available on the European warehouse, at least I think so.

Thanks,
Nikolai

earthsciteach

You seem to have your bases covered to get it up in the air. If you can afford it, order 2 batteries. Good choice with the FrSky module. I love mine!

If you don't have one already, buy a glue gun. Packaging tape is a staple of the hobby with foam airplanes, too. Have fun!

I have a li
You seem to have your bases covered to get it up in the air. If you can afford it, order 2 batteries. Good choice with the FrSky module. I love mine!

If you don't have one already, buy a glue gun. Packaging tape is a staple of the hobby with foam airplanes, too. Have fun!

Thanks! I don't have a glue gun, or packaging tape, so I'll see. I have a limited budget, tough.

Thanks,
Nikolai

Added two more things and changed the transmitter battery.

I changed the transmitter battery to the Hobbyking LiFe that severeal folks have recommended.
Then I added a LiPo low voltage alarm, and a LiPo battery checker, both from HobbyKing.
Oh, and a LiPo charging bag.

Last edited:

pressalltheknobs

Added two more things and changed the transmitter battery.

I changed the transmitter battery to the Hobbyking LiFe that severeal folks have recommended.
Then I added a LiPo low voltage alarm, and a LiPo battery checker, both from HobbyKing.

OK I assume you read this f rom the 9XR PRO hardware manual so you know you will have to charge the battery outside your transmitter....

"LiFe (Lithium-Iron)
A very inexpensive 3s 1500 mAh LiFe battery specifically for transmitters is available. LiFe
batteries are safer than LiPo but still need proper handling. For example, if allowed to discharge
fully (by leaving the transmitter turned on) they will be damaged and not be rechargeable in the
normal way. Instructions for recovery can be found online but seldom work more than once with a
given battery. The typical maximum charge voltage is 10.8 volts, but the battery settles back to 9.9
volts within the first few minutes of use and declines very slowly over the discharge. Of the three
leads on the battery, only the balance lead will fit the 9XR. It is recommended to set the low
voltage alarm at 9.3 volts. At the recommended rate of 1.5A, charging will take about an hour.
The battery must be charged out of the transmitter with a charger specifically designed for
LiFe/A123 type batteries. Charging with a NiMH or NiCd charger will probably destroy the battery."

I also strongly recommend a LIPO charging sack if you don't have one. This or some equivalent is essential when charging lipos.
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/...r_Charge_Pack_18x22cm_Sack_EU_warehouse_.html

A servo tester is a useful tool and quite inexpensive. Not essential but it helps isolate problems and allows you to bench test servos and escs without setting up your TX/RX.
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/...th_Selectable_Servo_Tester_EU_warehouse_.html

OK I assume you read this f rom the 9XR PRO hardware manual so you know you will have to charge the battery outside your transmitter....

"LiFe (Lithium-Iron)
A very inexpensive 3s 1500 mAh LiFe battery specifically for transmitters is available. LiFe
batteries are safer than LiPo but still need proper handling. For example, if allowed to discharge
fully (by leaving the transmitter turned on) they will be damaged and not be rechargeable in the
normal way. Instructions for recovery can be found online but seldom work more than once with a
given battery. The typical maximum charge voltage is 10.8 volts, but the battery settles back to 9.9
volts within the first few minutes of use and declines very slowly over the discharge. Of the three
leads on the battery, only the balance lead will fit the 9XR. It is recommended to set the low
voltage alarm at 9.3 volts. At the recommended rate of 1.5A, charging will take about an hour.
The battery must be charged out of the transmitter with a charger specifically designed for
LiFe/A123 type batteries. Charging with a NiMH or NiCd charger will probably destroy the battery."

I also strongly recommend a LIPO charging sack if you don't have one. This or some equivalent is essential when charging lipos.
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/...r_Charge_Pack_18x22cm_Sack_EU_warehouse_.html

A servo tester is a useful tool and quite inexpensive. Not essential but it helps isolate problems and allows you to bench test servos and escs without setting up your TX/RX.
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/...th_Selectable_Servo_Tester_EU_warehouse_.html
Hey there, I changed that post without refreshing, sorry about that. I just put in a LiPo charging pack.
Also, I've been looking at a servo reverser. I'll add that too, since I've had a problem with uncentered servos using the Arduino.
Thanks,
Nikolai

ztoon

Gone with the Mistral
As you're going to use a computer radio, you don't need a servo reverser, just reverse the corresponding channel on the radio mix itself.
You might need a servo tester though ;) very useful during the build

PhenomPilot

Not sure if it is available in your warehouse but HK has a battery powered glue gun for cheap! It isn't great for doing builds but has proven its self in the field more than once.

I don't know what size the old Hitech servos but most old servos are too big for our little foamies. Take a look at the really cheap 9g servos which would be fine for flaps.

Not sure if it is available in your warehouse but HK has a battery powered glue gun for cheap! It isn't great for doing builds but has proven its self in the field more than once.

I don't know what size the old Hitech servos but most old servos are too big for our little foamies. Take a look at the really cheap 9g servos which would be fine for flaps.

The servos I have are 9g.

Thanks,
Nikolai

As you're going to use a computer radio, you don't need a servo reverser, just reverse the corresponding channel on the radio mix itself.
You might need a servo tester though ;) very useful during the build

I meant a servo centering tool! Sorry, aha.

Thanks,
Nikolai