Solved Do i need to synchronize multiple motors on an electric RC plane?

SirLearnalot

Hello i am building a replica Ilyushin IL-18 which has 4 propellers. I was just going to use brushless motors to build this project but i keep seeing things about syncronising the motors and i am very confused, do I need to do this? I am using 4 separate ESCs.

Many thanks

Fluburtur

Cardboard Boy
If you calibrate all your motors properly using your radio or the flight controller if you have one it should be alright.

ElectriSean

Eternal Student
Mentor
You will need to calibrate the ESC's once you have all the electronics put together and bound. With the props off, turn on your transmitter and set the throttle to full. Plug in the battery and wait till the beeps stop, then put the throttle to minimum. When the beeps stop again, you are calibrated :)

Wildthing

Legendary member
The only thing I would add is to do just one at a time so you don't have 4 esc's beeping at you all at the same time. They don't always initialize at the same speed so you may miss one.

Merv

Site Moderator
Staff member
As stated above you need to calibrating the ESC’s (synchronize), you are showing the ESC what high and low throttle looks like. The goal, have all the motors start at the same time and operate at basically the same speed.

Reactions: FDS

SirLearnalot

You will need to calibrate the ESC's once you have all the electronics put together and bound. With the props off, turn on your transmitter and set the throttle to full. Plug in the battery and wait till the beeps stop, then put the throttle to minimum. When the beeps stop again, you are calibrated :)
Thanks mate :)

FDS

Elite member
One question for people who might have built a 4 engine- did you use counter rotation and if so how was it set up?

sprzout

Knower of useless information
Mentor
One question for people who might have built a 4 engine- did you use counter rotation and if so how was it set up?

Someone here built a C-130 in the Blue Angels "Fat Albert" livery (I forget who - speak up and tell us!), and used counter rotating props on each side to correct torque. From what I saw, the thing flew great in the vids!

Reactions: FDS