do my eyes decieve me? RCExplorer Tricopter

davyg

Just had a little look at David's website again.. while browsing I noticed something that I never paid much attention to before.. and that is how David has his KK board wired up to his Optima7 RX unit..

If you look at this first pic, you will see that he has FOUR RX wires plugged into the KK board on his Tri.
tricopter001.jpg

Now look at the second pic and see how he has the RX unit plugged into the Board
tricopter002.jpg

Only TWO wires used!!

and finally, on Pic Three he has the wires plugged into channels 1 and 4 on the Optima7 RX unit!!!
tricopter003.jpg

am I confused..... yes... I have four wires leading from my HK KK board to my Optima6 RX unit!!!

can anyone shed any light on the anomaly of the wiring on David's pics..:confused::confused:

colorex

Rotor Riot!
Mentor
It's a nice trick. The power cables (red and brown) are all connected in paralell, so they are just redundant connections. The "trick" is in the receiver - it has the same order on the channel pins as the KKboard. Like this

Rx......Ail..Rud..Elev..Thr

KK......Ail..Rud..Elev..Thr

So then you just need three wires on the throttle channel (two carry the current to the receiver, one carries the signal) and the other ones just carry the signal for the three remaining channels.

Notice that it's not channel 1 and 4, one cable spans all three signal pins on the receiver and KKboard.

UndCon

UndCon
1 wire is connected as pwer normal

1 wire covers 3 channels - signal wires only

I use this all the time...you only need 1 + and 1 - (GND) between RX and your boards

The other cable is covering 3 signals in order to save some wire mess that you get by using 1 regular servo cable /channel.

So the 1st picture is for show only, the 2 others are the way they are connected.
//UndCon

colorex

Rotor Riot!
Mentor
1 wire is connected as pwer normal

1 wire covers 3 channels - signal wires only

I use this all the time...you only need 1 + and 1 - (GND) between RX and your boards

The other cable is covering 3 signals in order to save some wire mess that you get by using 1 regular servo cable /channel.

So the 1st picture is for show only, the 2 others are the way they are connected.
//UndCon

But unless the channel order matches, you need to modify the cable to make it work. If you do modify it, then mark it because it may break something if used incorrectly.

Mike oxbig

15% nitro is my cologne
I have never seen this before. It's a brilliant way to save weight and clutter.

I wonder if it would work on my microbeast to ar6100 connection. I'm going to try it and see.

*edit* now that I actually looked at the connections on my heli I see that beastx already uses this setup but uses three separate connectors at the Rx side.

Last edited:

tadbaker

I finally get it. I have been looking at this but couldn't see that the one plug was turned sideways. It makes sense now.

UndCon

UndCon
When I moved from Spektrum to ER9X I made sure the channels are in the same order, this way it is plug'n play to swap receivers

A few MultiWii boards I have are specifically designed for AR6100 and they can be connected to the board without wires