DO NOT BUY ANY RUNCAM!!!!

jack10525

I wanted a small camera to take inflight video and decided to try a runcam after all the positive reviews I saw online. Well I guess they all a fake. I've had 3 runcams and they are garbage. I've had issues with all of them. At first I thought i got a lemon so sent it back and got another. This one was better but not by much. They run hot and don't function well. They freeze and/or just turn off. To turn them back on I have to remove the battery. They do not sync with iPhone easily. I've had many devices connected to my iPhone through wifi and the runcam has been the worst. Also when you have an issue customer service is nonexistent. I've contacted them several times and have yet to get a response. I will be looking into a gopro session for my aerial video needs.

PLEASE DO NOT SUPPORT RUNCAM.

sprzout

Knower of useless information
Mentor
I wanted a small camera to take inflight video and decided to try a runcam after all the positive reviews I saw online. Well I guess they all a fake. I've had 3 runcams and they are garbage. I've had issues with all of them. At first I thought i got a lemon so sent it back and got another. This one was better but not by much. They run hot and don't function well. They freeze and/or just turn off. To turn them back on I have to remove the battery. They do not sync with iPhone easily. I've had many devices connected to my iPhone through wifi and the runcam has been the worst. Also when you have an issue customer service is nonexistent. I've contacted them several times and have yet to get a response. I will be looking into a gopro session for my aerial video needs.

PLEASE DO NOT SUPPORT RUNCAM.

Couple of things I have to ask:

1) Where did you get the RunCam from? I know that there have been counterfeits sold from places like Banggood, eBay, and AliExpress.

2) Did you check it against the RunCam counterfeit check? There should have been a hologram code on the box and instructions for a website that you run the serial number on the camera through.

3) What model specifically were you using? I've heard of some of the early ones having heat issues, but they seemed to have resolved that with the new Runcam3 models...

AkimboGlueGuns

Biplane Guy
Mentor
Couple of things I have to ask:

1) Where did you get the RunCam from? I know that there have been counterfeits sold from places like Banggood, eBay, and AliExpress.

2) Did you check it against the RunCam counterfeit check? There should have been a hologram code on the box and instructions for a website that you run the serial number on the camera through.

3) What model specifically were you using? I've heard of some of the early ones having heat issues, but they seemed to have resolved that with the new Runcam3 models...

I have to ask the same questions. I've heard nothing but good things about Run Cam and their products.

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
I have used runcam cameras exclusivly since I got into fpv after killing my first hs1177.

They are great cameras IF you know how to set them up and dont use runcam stock settings because they still seem to think we dont move when we fly and use indoor static settings for light handling.

The only one I have been disappointed in is the original runcam split because they force their settings for hd and you cant adjust the low def fpv settings so half the time you fly in the dark.

I think you have been buying the cheapie knock offs like mentioned earlier.

thenated0g

Drinker of coffee, Maker of things
Mentor
All my runcams are great, all my friends runcams are great, most of the youtubers i watch have runcams that are great.

miraspen

I love my rotor riot edition runcam, i use runcam on all my quads and they have taken some abuse and still work great.

sprzout

Mentor
After all of these replies, this is what makes me wonder about a potential counterfeit camera. Runcam IS aware of this happening, hence the counterfeit protections they have taken; I wonder if that's why they're giving you the perceived cold shoulder for support? It just seems odd.

It's certainly possible too that you got a lemon - it happens that once in a blue moon, a product gets by QA and it gets out, and you get something that doesn't work - but usually the company's willing to repair/replace if something like that happens. I'd rather have more info on the story before I pass judgement on this one.

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
I had a Runcam knockoff from Banggood about 2 years ago that sucked - ran hot, froze up, stopped recording when it felt like it, etc.

Then I paid full price for a real Runcam from GetFPV and it's been excellent - great video quality, seamless phone synchronization, no boiling hot temps.

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
I have 7 functioning run cams currently if various models all are excellent.

I have broke at least as many crashing into steel poles on the playset out back or more commonly breaking the connectors off the back if the micros where it lines up perfectly with mt Gremlins upper plate.

Not once in three years using them have I had an issue out of tge box nor long term fo that matter.

The one I run on Taz haz gone thru three quads and been passed on to it is now two and a half years old.

Heres what it looks like today evev in a crappy dvr at 480p.

sprzout

Mentor
I have 7 functioning run cams currently if various models all are excellent.

I have broke at least as many crashing into steel poles on the playset out back or more commonly breaking the connectors off the back if the micros where it lines up perfectly with mt Gremlins upper plate.

Not once in three years using them have I had an issue out of tge box nor long term fo that matter.

The one I run on Taz haz gone thru three quads and been passed on to it is now two and a half years old.

Heres what it looks like today evev in a crappy dvr at 480p.

Bill - video on your runcam looks great; would you be willing to share your camera settings? I've been trying to get mine dialed in, and the last time I flew with my Runcam I was getting blown out - I'd swing over to the sun and all I could see was a white dot in the sky and couldn't tell which way was up. :) (I know it was settings; I set it up indoors and forgot the cable when I came back out to do it again, dummy me)

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
I have a video up on yt how I set up my cameras. Pay attention to contrast (sun blowout) and the day night settings.

Those effect the light handling the most. Copy my settings and fine tune from there to your normal sun n clouds.

Those settings cover my full sun to super overcast with only slight changes in the goggles bright and contrast to adjust for the day.

Make sure your camera is focused as well. I set a can of super777 glue on a white kitchen floor with good overhead lights at 5-6 feet distance so I can read as much of the label as possible.

sprzout

Mentor
I have a video up on yt how I set up my cameras. Pay attention to contrast (sun blowout) and the day night settings.

Those effect the light handling the most. Copy my settings and fine tune from there to your normal sun n clouds.

Those settings cover my full sun to super overcast with only slight changes in the goggles bright and contrast to adjust for the day.

Make sure your camera is focused as well. I set a can of super777 glue on a white kitchen floor with good overhead lights at 5-6 feet distance so I can read as much of the label as possible.

Awesome, thanks!!! I know this thread was about Runcam, but since the OP hasn't come back, I figured I'd take a little bit of a side trip and make it beneficial. :)

Casey

It is also possible that the OP has a bad PDB or an issue with how the power to the camera is wired. I hope he comes back and gives the community a chance to help him.

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
Im kind of thinking this was more of a venting frustration post then an ask for help post.

I nearly did the same about my split but that solves nothing to complain.

johnreto

so i'm also flying 2 split minis, and they are awesome, specially since the also record hd to a micro sd. never had any issues.