Do tractor props work on pusher planes?

I just discovered that there are separate propellers designed for tractor and pusher planes. The difference is literally just that the pitch is reversed on one. Can't you just use a tractor prop in a pusher setup and reverse the positive and negative of the motor to make it spin the opposite way?

FDS

Elite member
Brushless motors don’t strictly have + and- as they are AC. You can probably run a pusher prop backwards on a tractor but given that nearly every prop is tractor by default I can’t see a point to removing the motor, changing the connectors around then refitting it all vs fitting a common sub $5 prop.

IanSR

As long as the numbers are facing forward it should work fine, with a pusher configuration you don't get much torque roll (if at all) so as long as the motor spins the right way and the nut is done up tight it doesn't really matter if you run a clockwise or counterclockwise prop.

I often mix and match between CW and CCW props on the same wing because I have loads of 5040 props from the quad I don't use anymore but are perfect for the little thing, the most inconvenient part is waiting for the reverse setting to come up on the ESC configuration lol.

Ive always found pusher / tractor props are a lot like left hand potato peelers.

Wildthing

Legendary member
Reverse the motor and go for it, the torque roll will be the opposite and just make sure the collet is really tight because the threads are more then likely not reversed. I do it all the time and there is no bad reason you can't.

Bricks

Master member
As long as the numbers are facing forward it should work fine, with a pusher configuration you don't get much torque roll (if at all) so as long as the motor spins the right way and the nut is done up tight it doesn't really matter if you run a clockwise or counterclockwise prop.

I often mix and match between CW and CCW props on the same wing because I have loads of 5040 props from the quad I don't use anymore but are perfect for the little thing, the most inconvenient part is waiting for the reverse setting to come up on the ESC configuration lol.

Ive always found pusher / tractor props are a lot like left hand potato peelers.

You do not need to change the ESC programing just switch 2 of the 3 wires coming from the ESC to reverse direction much easier.

Merv

Site Moderator
Staff member
Yes, a tractor prop can be used as a pusher. Just reverse the spin of the motor and put the numbers on the prop to the front of the plane. If the prop is on backwards, numbers pointing back

The term tractor and pusher prop are throw backs to the glow engine days. It took a new crank shaft, to reverse the spin of a glow engine. You had to change the port timing. Far easier to just use a pusher prop.

CarolineTyler

Legendary member
Yes, a tractor prop can be used as a pusher. Just reverse the spin of the motor and put the numbers on the prop to the front of the plane. If the prop is on backwards, numbers pointing back

The term tractor and pusher prop are throw backs to the glow engine days. It took a new crank shaft, to reverse the spin of a glow engine. You had to change the port timing. Far easier to just use a pusher prop.
^^^ THAT exactly!!!!