Do you keep a flight log?

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
If you are a part 107 commercial drone pilot you are required to keep a flight log, but as a hobbyist do you keep one? Why or why not?

Personally I do keep a flight log. I started out with a paper log book and while I've added an Android based electronic log book to my routine I still make updates after every flying session in the paper one. Why you may ask? That seems like a lot of writing and ever since I left school nobody can make me write by hand (except for darn those non-fillable PDF forms). :)

Two main reasons. I keep the paper log mostly for sharing with grand kids or new club members at some point in the future cause it would be a neat keepsake to hand off. But everything else I get out of the paper log book can also be done on the phone based one.

So what do I get out of it? That's a function of what I put into it. I keep track of each flight, what batteries I used, any notes of how well or badly the plane performed, and a list of repairs or ideas I had to make it better. Things like " I need to change the control throws on this one" or "I think the rudder control rod might be flexing in flight - Don't go back in the air until that gets fixed"

Then when I get home I can go through and check off the list of repairs or changes I wanted to make to the planes so that I don't forget a great idea until I'm back at the field with that plane again. And I look at the log the night before I go to the field when I'm charging batteries up to make sure the planes I'm planning to take do have all the maintenance tasks done. It's also handy to use when I'm trying to remember what battery goes into a plane that I haven't flown in a while.

So what's it look like? here are some screenshots from the phone based log book that I use.

[edit to add link: https://sjimpey.wixsite.com/rcflightlog]

Here's what the log looks like - it colors "good" flights in green, crashes in red, and repairs in blue.
Screenshot_20191017-092540.png

There are summary reports that are fun to look at to see which planes I fly the most, and when was the last time I made it to the field.
Screenshot_20191017-092609.png

Here's the plane listing - sometimes I think I would lose planes in my workshop if I didn't have a picture of what to go looking for! :ROFLMAO:
Screenshot_20191017-092623.png

It also logs battery usage. I don't use this part very much - mostly it's how I keep track of which sizes perform best in which plane.
Screenshot_20191017-092655.png

This is the plane detail screen where I don't both to fill in data that isn't relevant for me. I'm sure for someone looking to buy & sell and make a buck the prices could be useful, but I don't need to be reminded of how much money I just drove into the ground after a crash. :p
Screenshot_20191017-092726.png

Some of the graphs can be fun to look at too - I've been able to fly more this year, which also means more crashes... *sigh*
Screenshot_20191017-093004.png

I have been able to keep my resolution of flying every month though!
Screenshot_20191017-093017.png

Looks like I can crash just fine at either field I go to - that disproves my theory that it's the darn trees at Poplar Ford that are so dangerous. I can hit the bare ground with frequency at Lorton just fine too.
Screenshot_20191017-093029.png

I wish this screen had a few more options - I have so many planes that this view of how many flights per plane just isn't useful. :( Maybe if it could be sorted to planes with just a certain number of flights?
Screenshot_20191017-093055.png

So what about y'all? Any other compulsive record keepers out there?

Last edited:

FastCrash45

Elite member
If you are a part 107 commercial drone pilot you are required to keep a flight log, but as a hobbyist do you keep one? Why or why not?

Personally I do keep a flight log. I started out with a paper log book and while I've added an Android based electronic log book to my routine I still make updates after every flying session in the paper one. Why you may ask? That seems like a lot of writing and ever since I left school nobody can make me write. :)

Two main reasons. I keep the paper log mostly for sharing with grandkids or new club members at some point in the future cause it would be a neat keepsake to hand off. But everything else I get out of the paper log book can also be done on the phone based one.

So what do I get out of it? That's a function of what I put into it. I keep track of each flight, what batteries I used, any notes of how well or badly the plane performed, and a list of repairs or ideas I had to make it better. Things like " I need to change the control throws on this one" or "I noticed the rudder hinges are loose - Don't go back in the air until that gets fixed"

Then when I get home I can go through and check off the list of repairs or changes I wanted to make to the planes so that I don't forget a great idea until I'm back at the field with that plane again. I also look at the log the night before I go to the field when I'm charging batteries up to make sure the planes I'm planning to take do have all the maintenance tasks done. It's also handy to use when I'm trying to remember what battery goes into a plane that I haven't flown in a while.

So what's it look like? here are some screenshots from the phone based log book that I use.

Here's what the log looks like - it colors "good" flights in green, crashes in red, and repairs in blue.
View attachment 145682

There are summary reports that are fun to look at to see which planes I fly the most, and when was the last time I made it to the field.
View attachment 145681

Here's the plane listing - sometimes I think I would lose planes in my workshop if I didn't have a picture of what to go looking for! :ROFLMAO:
View attachment 145680

It also keeps track of battery usage - I don't use this part very much - mostly I keep track of batteries so I know which sizes perform best in which plane.
View attachment 145679

This is the plane detail screen - I don't fill in data that isn't relevant for me. I'm sure for someone looking to buy & sell and make a buck the prices could be useful, but I don't need to be reminded of how much money I just drove into the ground after a crash. :p
View attachment 145678

Some of the graphs can be fun to look at too - I've been able to fly more this year, which also means more crashes... *sigh*
View attachment 145677

View attachment 145676

Looks like I can crash just fine at either field I go to - that disproves my theory that it's the darn trees at Poplar Ford that are so dangerous. I hit the bare ground at Lorton just fine too.
View attachment 145675

I wish this screen had a few more options - I have so many planes that this view of how many flights per plane just isn't useful. :(
View attachment 145674

I like this idea. I just haven't been able to do much since I started with Flite Test planes. Now that I finally got off meds that make me shaky and my wife is getting her health back I can get back into making stuff. Now I just have to make snow ski's for them. Lol

Tonero311

Personally I do keep a flight log. I started out with a paper log book and while I've added an Android based electronic log book to my routine I still make updates after every flying session in the paper one. Why you may ask? That seems like a lot of writing and ever since I left school nobody can make me write. :)

Two main reasons. I keep the paper log mostly for sharing with grandkids or new club members at some point in the future cause it would be a neat keepsake to hand off. But everything else I get out of the paper log book can also be done on the phone based one.

So what do I get out of it? That's a function of what I put into it. I keep track of each flight, what batteries I used, any notes of how well or badly the plane performed, and a list of repairs or ideas I had to make it better. Things like " I need to change the control throws on this one" or "I noticed the rudder hinges are loose - Don't go back in the air until that gets fixed"

Then when I get home I can go through and check off the list of repairs or changes I wanted to make to the planes so that I don't forget a great idea until I'm back at the field with that plane again. I also look at the log the night before I go to the field when I'm charging batteries up to make sure the planes I'm planning to take do have all the maintenance tasks done. It's also handy to use when I'm trying to remember what battery goes into a plane that I haven't flown in a while.

View attachment 145682

View attachment 145681

View attachment 145680

It also keeps track of battery usage - I don't use this part very much - mostly I keep track of batteries so I know which sizes perform best in which plane.
View attachment 145679

This is the plane detail screen - I don't fill in data that isn't relevant for me. I'm sure for someone looking to buy & sell and make a buck the prices could be useful, but I don't need to be reminded of how much money I just drove into the ground after a crash. :p
View attachment 145678

View attachment 145677

View attachment 145676

Looks like I can crash just fine at either field I go to - that disproves my theory that it's the darn trees at Poplar Ford that are so dangerous. I hit the bare ground at Lorton just fine too.
View attachment 145675

I wish this screen had a few more options - I have so many planes that this view of how many flights per plane just isn't useful. :(
View attachment 145674

Is this an app you can download or something you have created yourself? Amazing idea. Really interested in this. Unfortunately I haven't been keeping a flight log and I'm wishing I had now. Be very useful for keeping track of progress of flight and build skills.

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
Is this an app you can download or something you have created yourself? Amazing idea. Really interested in this. Unfortunately I haven't been keeping a flight log and I'm wishing I had now. Be very useful for keeping track of progress of flight and build skills.

I should have included a link to the app before - sorry about that.

It's called "RC Flight and Battery Log" and is available for both Android and iOS. I'm using the paid Android version because it's so darn useful I wanted to pass a couple bucks to back to the developer, and loved the idea of using RFID tags to keep track of all my batteries. Now when I'm logging a flight I just pick the plane and then wave the phone over the battery :D

https://sjimpey.wixsite.com/rcflightlog

Tonero311

I should have included a link to the app before - sorry about that.

It's called "RC Flight and Battery Log" and is available for both Android and iOS. I'm using the paid Android version because it's so darn useful I wanted to pass a couple bucks to back to the developer, and loved the idea of using RFID tags to keep track of all my batteries. Now when I'm logging a flight I just pick the plane and then wave the phone over the battery :D

https://sjimpey.wixsite.com/rcflightlog
Thank you for the link. Get that downloaded now. Though I think I might only have a few flights left before winter grounds me.

Ihichi Bolls

Nice find Jon.

I did paper logs of every flight mainly to track maintenance and battery cycles. Until I learned about internal resistance and all that. The logs do help a lot for sure. specially for old and senile people like me who cant keep track of what day it is let alone what I broke the day before hehe.

I got away from it when I filled my second college ruled note book near the end of last flying season. I crash far less and when I do its obvious its not airworthy til repairs are done. I was thinking getting back to doing them but in like a spread sheet form but this looks really nice. Is there a pc version?

I am finally back on the interwebz inside and not on that phone so I will be having a BILL SMASH party on the phone for all the aggravation it gave me.

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
Nice find Jon.

I did paper logs of every flight mainly to track maintenance and battery cycles. Until I learned about internal resistance and all that. The logs do help a lot for sure. specially for old and senile people like me who cant keep track of what day it is let alone what I broke the day before hehe.

I got away from it when I filled my second college ruled note book near the end of last flying season. I crash far less and when I do its obvious its not airworthy til repairs are done. I was thinking getting back to doing them but in like a spread sheet form but this looks really nice. Is there a pc version?

I am finally back on the interwebz inside and not on that phone so I will be having a BILL SMASH party on the phone for all the aggravation it gave me.

Not aware of a PC based RC Flight Log, but there is an Android emulator - https://www.bluestacks.com/ - that will let you install and run phone apps on your computer. Looks like a fun platform for gaming without needing a high end phone too!

Glad to hear you're back on a healthier internet connection too! :D

FDS

Elite member
It was a very small log. The tree wasn’t that big...
The farmer has cut it down now, no more gap shooting either!

Last edited:

Flying Monkey fab

Elite member
It's weird that I'm well into my third logbook for real aircraft but haven't even thought about logging RC flights.
I need to work up an excel file where I can track my time as well as airframe conditions.

bracesport

Legendary member
This is a great idea and I need to do it - after trying out at sloping and getting heaps of feedback about setups and flying, a logbook would be helpful - I am checking out the RC flight app as I write and will report back! :D

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
My version of a flight logbook.(twig)

Having the checklists and switch assignment reminders in there are a great idea! I tackled that with a preflight checklist in my flight box taped in the lid, and was able to program my radio switches with audio files to tell me what each switch does - now I wiggle all the switches before the first flight of the day to remind myself of the setup.

basslord1124

Master member
That's a cool app, I may have to check that out!!

I think when I first started with my Hobbyzone Champ I kept a small log just b/c I wanted to see how many flights I had done. It wasn't accurate anyways, b/c I started logging after I went through a dozen or so flights. Then I started adding a micro T28 and did it for a while. Eventually I quit logging those.

I have sort of started back...but only record the date of the flight and any notes about the flight. I have this on a spreadsheet.

For those asking about spreadsheets...I also have a lipo battery cell log AND my flight log are both on spreadsheets. These are through Google Sheets and I store them on my Google Drive. And from there I can access it either via PC or my Android phone just whatever is convenient at the time. I'm not sure if you can do something similar with iPhone or not.

PoorManRC

Master member

Personally I do keep a flight log. I started out with a paper log book and while I've added an Android based electronic log book to my routine I still make updates after every flying session in the paper one. Why you may ask? That seems like a lot of writing and ever since I left school nobody can make me write by hand (except for darn those non-fillable PDF forms). :)

Two main reasons. I keep the paper log mostly for sharing with grand kids or new club members at some point in the future cause it would be a neat keepsake to hand off. But everything else I get out of the paper log book can also be done on the phone based one.

So what do I get out of it? That's a function of what I put into it. I keep track of each flight, what batteries I used, any notes of how well or badly the plane performed, and a list of repairs or ideas I had to make it better. Things like " I need to change the control throws on this one" or "I think the rudder control rod might be flexing in flight - Don't go back in the air until that gets fixed"

Then when I get home I can go through and check off the list of repairs or changes I wanted to make to the planes so that I don't forget a great idea until I'm back at the field with that plane again. And I look at the log the night before I go to the field when I'm charging batteries up to make sure the planes I'm planning to take do have all the maintenance tasks done. It's also handy to use when I'm trying to remember what battery goes into a plane that I haven't flown in a while.

[edit to add link: https://sjimpey.wixsite.com/rcflightlog]

View attachment 145682

View attachment 145681

View attachment 145680

It also logs battery usage. I don't use this part very much - mostly it's how I keep track of which sizes perform best in which plane.
View attachment 145679

This is the plane detail screen where I don't both to fill in data that isn't relevant for me. I'm sure for someone looking to buy & sell and make a buck the prices could be useful, but I don't need to be reminded of how much money I just drove into the ground after a crash. :p
View attachment 145678

View attachment 145677

View attachment 145676

Looks like I can crash just fine at either field I go to - that disproves my theory that it's the darn trees at Poplar Ford that are so dangerous. I can hit the bare ground with frequency at Lorton just fine too.
View attachment 145675

I wish this screen had a few more options - I have so many planes that this view of how many flights per plane just isn't useful. :( Maybe if it could be sorted to planes with just a certain number of flights?
View attachment 145674

Does LANDING right side up count!!??? 😜😆😂

Seriously, that might not be a bad idea. I'll look into it!

We are within DAYS of Outdoor Season in Arizona!! 😲 Temps will be under 90 soon!
Why NOT a Log?