Do you read the submissions in the Articles section?

FlyingMonkey

Bought Another Trailer
Staff member
Admin
What kinds of articles are your favorites?

Do you have any favorite authors?

What would you like to see more of?

If there was something you could change over there, what would it be?

I really enjoy the good build articles. Especially if a little history of the aircraft they're building is included.

But there's been some great "how to" ones that show tricks and techniques that I had never seen anywhere else.

Jaxx

Posted a thousand or more times
I love the build and build tips articles! Some of my favorites include NerdNic (#1), Flying Penguin, and MESA RC Foam Fighters.

Last edited:

RAM

Posted a thousand or more times
Build articles, Building tips,

No favorite author.

I like to see anything experimental whether it fails or succeeds.

Balu

Lurker
Staff member
Admin
I wasn't really sure about the article section a while ago and started to jump directly to the forums (skipping the articles that were on the homepage before) when the site got redesigned.

One thing I didn't like was all those "Look I've got a new video" articles with no additional info. But this is changing lately because you are having a more watchful eye :).

And because of that I decided to give it another try and publish my own first article ;).

I like detailed build and tips & tricks articles, but I keep thinking if we need the articles for that or the forum as a nice place to discuss those is enough.

FlyingMonkey

Bought Another Trailer
Staff member
Admin
I wasn't really sure about the article section a while ago and started to jump directly to the forums (skipping the articles that were on the homepage before) when the site got redesigned.

One thing I didn't like was all those "Look I've got a new video" articles with no additional info. But this is changing lately because you are having a more watchful eye :).

And because of that I decided to give it another try and publish my own first article ;).

I like detailed build and tips & tricks articles, but I keep thinking if we need the articles for that or the forum as a nice place to discuss those is enough.

The articles is a nice feature to get something in a concise and condensed form, that's not getting sidetracked by conversations. Nerdnic is one of the few who does a great job of updating his first post to keep all of his information in one place so you're not having to sift through posts to see the updates you really want to see.

mikemacwillie

I read some of the articles, mostly build and building tips. It's great when they're a complete thought, from start to finish.

And I agree, it's really nice when the first forum post gets updated with all of the information in one place.

FlyingMonkey

Bought Another Trailer
Staff member
Admin
I read some of the articles, mostly build and building tips. It's great when they're a complete thought, from start to finish.

And I agree, it's really nice when the first forum post gets updated with all of the information in one place.

Agreed, we're working on improving that.

rcspaceflight

creator of virtual planes
I like articles about scratch designs. I almost said "builds" but I mean the planes that someone designed themselves. I have never built someone else's design with a few FT exceptions. But I still love to see what other people are coming up with. Especially for inspiration.

I think it was LordVader on the forum's that told me to go ahead and design a DTFB plane that some one had already designed. He said that he loves to see other people's take on a design. And you know what? I agree with that attitude. For example, there are at least 4 Mustang designs on the Articles. One of which is a "profile". It's still nice to see how other people do their designs.

Other than the builds I love the random tips. The stuff you just don't think of yourself.

I also kind of like the reviews too. When someone buys a plane and does a proper job telling their experience with it. (As long as it's not a popular plane over and over again.)

I like to keep things positive, but I think I have to express a few "complaints". I don't like all of the FPV videos. Zatoichi has some great videos/articles, but I can only watch so many of those types of videos/articles. Most of them aren't the caliber of Zatoichi's stuff. Even if it all was, I still wouldn't read the majority of those articles.

I also don't like the articles about the FT planes someone has built. Improvements are worthy of an article. Personally I just think sharing your FT (whatever) is best for the forum. Especially the FT episode thread. It makes everything "organized" that way. (Not knocking those articles, it's just a "time and a place" type of thing.)

cranialrectosis

Faster than a speeding face plant!
Mentor
RCSchim got me into the hobby and I love his dive videos.

I wish it were legal here in Colorado to do what he does. I get to live vicariously through his videos. :)

nerdnic

nerdnic.com
Mentor
I love the build and build tips articles! Some of my favorites include NerdNic (#1), Flying Penguin, and MESA RC Foam Fighters.

Thanks Jaxx! My favorite are also the build articles. It's really cool to see how others execute, it's a great way to see new ideas.

nerdnic

nerdnic.com
Mentor
The articles is a nice feature to get something in a concise and condensed form, that's not getting sidetracked by conversations. Nerdnic is one of the few who does a great job of updating his first post to keep all of his information in one place so you're not having to sift through posts to see the updates you really want to see.

This comes from years of digging through forums for info, it can be a pain. A well kept first post makes for a much better experience for those who find the thread later or don't care for the conversations.

earthsciteach

What kinds of articles are your favorites?

Tips and builds.

Do you have any favorite authors?

No, but I can't stand anything by that Fred Provost guy.

What would you like to see more of?

Tips and builds.

If there was something you could change over there, what would it be?

Tips and builds.

I really enjoy the good build articles. Especially if a little history of the aircraft they're building is included.

But there's been some great "how to" ones that show tricks and techniques that I had never seen anywhere else.

To summarize, more tips and builds, less, "watch me fly," and less of that Fred Provost guy. ;)

ps-love you, Fred.

Tritium

Amateur Extra Class K5TWM
I have been off the forum and on FliteTest page less than 10 times in over 3.5 years.

Thurmond

jhitesma

Some guy in the desert
Mentor
I check them out from time to time...but they never really hold my interest because of the lack of feedback from them.

I can't blame the authors though because I'm just as guilty on the few I've had published. The problem is there's no way for authors to be notified when there's comments posted on their articles (at least no way I've found.) So I've had questions on my articles go unanswered for months before I think to read them again and notice there are new comments.

I know the articles are meant to be more "fixed" and not conversations like forum posts are...but this is the net and static content just doesn't cut it. There is a comment section and it has a lot of potential. But without a way for authors to be notified when they have comments it comes across as an after thought.

I'd love it if when an article is posted it automatically gets a thread started in the forum (in a special section) where conversations about that article could take place. Then ditch the comments section and just pull the RSS feed from the forum post to share at the bottom. At least that's how I'd probably do it :D

I have about a half dozen article ideas I've thought about writing up and sharing - but I have a hard time getting motivated to actually write them because of the lack of feedback on when comments are posted. I don't want to start something I can't "finish" (by following up and answering questions) but I don't really have the time to go back and manually check all of my articles for new comments on a regular basis. So I tend to stick with the forums more than the articles since it's easier to track when questions are asked.

Balu

Lurker
Staff member
Admin
I can't blame the authors though because I'm just as guilty on the few I've had published. The problem is there's no way for authors to be notified when there's comments posted on their articles (at least no way I've found.) So I've had questions on my articles go unanswered for months before I think to read them again and notice there are new comments.

Hm. I got a few emails saying:

hotwax has commented on an article of yours, "Calculating the Center of Thrust on Multirotors"

Comment:

My Account -> Notification Settings