Do You Think You can land an Airliner?

Piotrsko

Master member
Cool, thank you. So it's going to yell it's head off on only one push then. Good to know, not that it will ever matter.

CappyAmeric

Elite member
Not really yell - the A/P off warning is just a short aural - but it creates an ECAM (electronic checklist) unless you cancel it with the A/P button on the side stick. All ECAMs have to be accomplished as a non-normal checklist, so it saves some crew-based non-normal procedure even though we all know what happened.

Piotrsko

Master member
So not like the stick shaker. Also good to know.

So back to the original question: lets just assume CAVU. 7 mile final which should be straight in; can you pull it off and passibly land it or do you go around to get more time to set up on your terms? Unless the low fuel light is on, you got at least a 1/2 hour. If the fuel light is on you had much bigger problems. And I stick with my original position: getting it stopped is the harder bit.

Last edited:

CappyAmeric

Elite member
So not like the stick shaker. Also good to know.

So back to the original question: lets just assume CAVU. 7 mile final which should be straight in; can you pull it off and passibly land it or do you go around to get more time to set up on your terms? Unless the low fuel light is on, you got at least a 1/2 hour. If the fuel light is on you had much bigger problems. And I stick with my original position: getting it stopped is the harder bit.
No less than 45minutes fuel. Most modern airliners can do autoland so if you could work a microphone, we could talk you through autoland, autobrakes, stop on runway. No autoland? it depends on how much flying time you have.

Since most airliners are super slippery (we can glide, power off, for 100+ miles from cruise), without the knowledge of configuration and power management, without autoland a non-professional pilot would likely make a smoking hole at any runway they were aiming for at 400+ knots. On the other hand, I’ve talked numerous non-pilots through setup and auto land, autobrake to a stop in a full motion simulator - but I had to tell them everything to do while I was watching the same thing out the front windshield.

Last edited:

Piotrsko

Master member
No less than 45minutes fuel. Most modern airliners can do autoland so if you could work a microphone, we could talk you through autoland, autobrakes, stop on runway. No autoland? it depends on how much flying time you have.

Since most airliners are super slippery (we can glide, power off, for 100+ miles from cruise), without the knowledge of configuration and power management, without autoland a non-professional pilot would likely make a smoking hole at any runway they were aiming for at 400+ knots. On the other hand, I’ve talked numerous non-pilots through setup and auto land, autobrake to a stop in a full motion simulator - but I had to tell them everything to do while I was watching the same thing out the front windshield.

There you go, solved the issue from a professional POV. Probably ain't going to happen. AND if I recall correctly, a 747 fully loaded would out glide the Schweitzer training glider I flew. New stuff would be much more efficient. 400kts over the fence sounds a bit fast.

Piotrsko

Master member
Been a while since I was current, but I'm yellow insensitive. Can't pass the color detection charts on a physical if the medical guy checks, but when I got my license, the requirement was being able to distinguish aviation red, green and white from the tower light gun. Red and green are important anymore on runways, blue at night but only on the taxiways. Everything else flashes or is yellow. There may be more but that's what I remember.
Great thing is ground gets written up on my infractions so they are interested in you not screwing up. Up until I became old age, I was so nearsighted I was legally blind uncorrected.

Long story short: I was licensed to fly, bought a taildragger, rebuilt it, flew it, moved on when it got more expensive than owning a house. I knew a guy who was deaf, but a much better pilot that I will ever be, who couldn't land at controlled airports. If you want to do something, accept the challenges you are presented and DO IT.

CappyAmeric

Elite member
400kts over the fence sounds a bit fast.
LOL. Too true. A heavy A321 is the fastest on final of the modern Airbus: about 140-150 knots. The A330 is pretty slow at about 135-140 knots, but the slowest is an A350 about 130-135 knots. All those with full flaps - and therein lies the rub. If you don't know how to slow a modern jet down, if you haven't stalled, you'd likely be 200 knots even at idle - and if you panicked and pushed the thrust levers up, you would be at 400 knots in less than 30 seconds.

Draftman1

You could try light sport, no medical needed, it’s limited but you are flying

I’m sure I could land an airliner, I’m a private, instrument rated, 500 plus hours and I’m getting ready to finish my commercial,
Looking for the proper system buttons on the panel would probly be the hardest part, I wouldn’t land right away unless there was an emergency, getting used to the handling at different speeds would be top of the list for me. More time to get used to everything, slowing down the process, Less panic. Talk to atc on the last frequency with a mayday is a good plan

Intashu

Elite member
I 100% guarantee the plan will end up on the ground.

However some of the plane will be over here, and over there, down there, and there.

Piotrsko

Master member
I 100% guarantee the plan will end up on the ground.

However some of the plane will be over here, and over there, down there, and there.
Kinda like how I land: IFR currency every flight with 6 consecutive landings, but they are good because I can use the plane immediately after each one.

tesseract

Master member
You know how in movies, if an airplane pilot falls unconscious or something, they go into the cabin and ask if anyone is a pilot? If that happened in real life, would you raise your hand? Do you think you would be able to land the plane? I was thinking about this last night as I was going to sleep and I think, as long as I know where all the important buttons are, there is a 25% chance that I would land the plane successfully. Oh yeah, and we are assuming you get no help from ATC...cuz reasons.
No ATC? Yay! I am qualified! 90% chance!
(p.s. most of the buttons arent actually used that much. i can fly departure to arrival, no atc, with only touching 6 things.)

tesseract

Master member
Me too. It is much better than its Boeing competitor, the B787. The A350 can take off from almost any major airport in the world, and then land anywhere else in the world. The flight deck is a pilot's dream: six 19" display screens, roomy, and quiet.
BETTER THAN BOEING????? WAT???? NO. LOOK AT THIS!!!!
Boeing:
Boeing+797+cockpit+%25286%2529.jpg

Airbus:
1611847183976.png
LIKE WTH IS THE WEIRD METAL BLOCK?!?!?!?!??

Attachments

• 1611847175793.png
    1611847175793.png
    4.5 MB · Views: 0

Piotrsko

Master member
Hmm you fly left handed as pilot, righthanded as copilot with no mechanical interconnect visible. Gotta trust they lectrons be stout enough. Ummm no thanks, I'll prefer boeing, just not 787's (which is a seat comfort issue kinda like Panam 747's going to china back in the day)

Ryan O.

Out of Foam Board!
Probably not (especially of it's not fly by wire) unless the checklist is still in the cockpit and we're flying over Kansas, then maybe I'd get lucky. I'd probably be a better bet than someone who doesn't know that a plane can overspeed (so basically most other passengers).