Doculam covering PRO's and PITFALLS.....

I would expect that your film order from Aloft would come as a continuous piece, but it sure wouldn’t hurt to ask them.
Painting sheeted surfaces with clear film would look cool probably. You could probably use some kind of dye in alcohol to keep from warping it, and have a color-stain effect, or seal the balsa first before using paint to help avoid it soaking in. I built a Bird of Time sailplane once, and because the fuselage was so rounded I sealed and painted it...rattle can gloss black. It looked awesome until after a few landings caused a lot of hairline cracks that were visible in sharp relief. It made me wish I had an envelope of some kind of covering material over it. I don’t know if clear film would have helped. Open structures also would look neat up close, but depending on the kinds of models you fly, clear film may not help provide enough visibility. In any case, whatever you use to color the wood shouldn’t impede film adhesion, as long as the paint itself is stuck well.

To provide an anecdote about the adhesion of my particular batch of film, I have a sailplane that I first covered in colored tissue before ironing on clear film. (I wouldn’t recommend that, it doesn’t look good enough to be worth the effort in my opinion.) There were a couple of spots that I didn’t like how the film was going down so I tried reheating to lift the film off. A very thick colored fuzz of tissue was fused to the wood where the film had been, giving me a pretty good idea of how far the invisible heat-activated adhesive goes; far enough to go through tissue paper and still grab the wood underneath. This was in a spot where I had not used any glue under the tissue, by the way.

TooJung2Die

Master member
what if instead of painting the film I just painted the wood underneath the film? Would that ruin the adhesion?
No, it would improve the adhesion. Using something to seal the balsa is a good way to improve adhesion for all types of heat shrink films. Usually the paint used is clear but having pigment in the paint wouldn't make any difference. Interesting idea ... I'd like to see what putting clear film over a painted frame looks like. I never bought from Aloft Hobbies but I can't imagine them cutting the film into individual 12" pieces for shipping. They cut it off a big roll so making several cuts for one order doesn't make any sense.

Open structures also would look neat up close, but depending on the kinds of models you fly, clear film may not help provide enough visibility.

I can tell you clear film is very visible at a distance. I've flown the Contest Commercial very high. At a distance it looks bright and silvery with the sun shining through. It doesn't disappear against an overcast sky either. Transparent films are very good for long distance visibility whether they are colored or not. They transmit light instead of blocking it.

Last edited:

speedbirdted

Legendary member
I think I'll just buy it from Laminator.com. They have 500' rolls of 1.5 mil for $15, which would be really cool if it's legit, since the same thing off Amazon is $45...

speedbirdted

Legendary member

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
https://www.laminator.com/standard-laminating-film.html

They have tons of different thicknesses all for pretty good prices. I'm not really sure how strong it is based on thickness or if the 1.5 mil stuff will even be strong enough to cover a 2m sailplane wing in. The last time I worked with it, I had no idea what thickness it was, but the strength and puncture resistance felt pretty good.

Prices look pretty good! On other forums I've seen people talk about the matte finish stuff being better for holding paint on the outside - don't think that would make a different if painting on the inside though.

TooJung2Die

Master member
I think that's the same kind of film I have at an attractive price. You will get an enormous roll of film. If you use 5 feet of it per airplane that's 100 airplanes. 🙂👍

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
That looks like the stuff - if you can get a satin finish it might be easier to get paint to stick to it, but even with a gloss finish you should be able to sand the surface lightly to get it ready.

Kumar senthil

I know this thread is a bit old, but I thought I'd add a couple of pictures of my Doculam-covered birds. The DLG was covered on top with 1.5 mil that was pre-painted on the inside with flourescent spray paint (light coat). The bottom is clear over flat-black spray paint.

The big Oly III is clear film over white painted frame, then I shot the colors from underneath. I then masked off that area and painted the bottom black, then covered it with clear.

I hadn't thought of using Doculam on DTFB, but now I have to try it! :)

View attachment 177939 View attachment 177940 View attachment 177941 View attachment 177942
How well lamination film works when compare with normal rc covering film?
Now you have some experience kindly share.

TooJung2Die

Master member
The more I use document laminating film the more I like it. It shrinks gently so it's perfect for delicate balsa frames. The adhesive sticks very well so I've never had an edge pull off when shrinking. It can be stretched over compound curves without wrinkling. As far as I can tell it has only one disadvantage; the only color available is crystal clear.

GliderFlyer

Elite member
Would 1.7 mil doculam be able to stretch over a structure like this one easily? Or would the fuselage need to be covered in strips? To give a sense of scale, the square longerons are 3/32 .
SinbadJR-7.jpg

(not my picture)

TooJung2Die

Master member
That airplane is a good candidate to be covered with 1.7 mil doculam. I know I could do it but I've had a lot of practice. It won't go on wrinkle free by shrinking alone. It will have to be heated and stretched over the compound curves and I see a few of those around the front of the fuselage. I've only used 1.5 mil but 0.2 mil of thickness is negligible. I was very frustrated with doculam when relying on heat to shrink out wrinkles. It doesn't shrink much. I really like it now that I figured out how to heat and stretch it over curves.