Does anyone have experience with Hobbyking's gas motors? Not nitro.

Ak Flyer

Fly the wings off
Mentor
I'm looking at using one of the RCG 15 or 20cc gas engines from hobbyking to power a small cub. Maybe my sig fourstar. I was wondering if anyone has used one of these and if they are any good.

bicyclemonkey

Flying Derp
Mentor
I'm looking at using one of the RCG 15 or 20cc gas engines from hobbyking to power a small cub. Maybe my sig fourstar. I was wondering if anyone has used one of these and if they are any good.
From what I can tell, those are the same as the Aerovate/RCGF motors a lot of places here is the US sells. HK also carries DLE engines which have become quite popular around my club and are also sold by Tower Hobbies.

Ak Flyer

Fly the wings off
Mentor
I'd really like to slap on a 15cc DLE but I was wondering if the cheaper brands are any good or just cheap. I wouldn't mind trying something new on my cub because it has a good glide slope and I'm used to no power landings because my current engine keeps having trouble. I really don't want to put anything questionable on my fourstar though because I'm still rebuilding it from an engine failure that resulted in a two piece fuselage. I will probably just go fourstroke nitro for now because it's less to modify. I also like the small saito gas engines but I don't like the saito prices.

SkySlayer

ARC=Almost Ready to Crash
man i dont like fuel planes so i dont buy the motors but my uncle loves them so with him cheaper are just that cheap and nasty so go with more top of the range , it doesnt have to be the best just not sumting bottom 5

bicyclemonkey

Flying Derp
Mentor
AK, have you got an engine yet? I'm still trying to decide on the power plant for my 1.20 size Tiger Moth. I've been looking at either the RCG 20cc or the ASP 1.20 FS glow both from HK. Or, of course, electric.

Ak Flyer

Fly the wings off
Mentor
No, that's more of a long term project. I just ordered everything to recover it and I've got some more mods I'm going to do first. I would like to have it flying this summer though. I'm pretty sure I'm going to go with a Magnum .91 four stroke. It will require the least amount of changes.

bicyclemonkey

Flying Derp
Mentor
Side by side photos of the RCS 20cc from HobbyKing and the ASP 1.20 four stroke.

ASP 1.20 four stroke.

IMG_3201.jpg

IMG_3203.jpg

IMG_3204.jpg

IMG_3205.jpg

RCG 20cc

IMG_3206.jpg

IMG_3207.jpg

IMG_3208.jpg

IMG_3209.jpg

IMG_3210.jpg

IMG_3211.jpg

IMG_3212.jpg

Ak Flyer

Fly the wings off
Mentor
I can't believe how small they are making gas engines these days. I hope you have great things to say about the ASP, well both actually. I'm still thinking about the magnum but the ASP is still cheaper and I really want a 15cc gasser in my cub.