Does anyone know how to create free plans using inkscape

mach1 rc

Master member
I design all my planes using inkscape but I don't know how to create free plans. Was wondering if anyone had experience making plans with inkscape.

Thanks

Flying Monkey fab

Elite member
I'm not sure I understand the question? Inkscape's native file type is SVG which is good for a lot of people but if you want to save as a PDF just click "save as" and save as a PDF or any other file format you think the end-user might like. If there are several files, wrap them up into a zip.

mach1 rc

Master member
I'm not sure I understand the question? Inkscape's native file type is SVG which is good for a lot of people but if you want to save as a PDF just click "save as" and save as a PDF or any other file format you think the end-user might like. If there are several files, wrap them up into a zip.
Thanks I think I get it now.

Jaxx

Posted a thousand or more times
I design all my planes using inkscape but I don't know how to create free plans. Was wondering if anyone had experience making plans with inkscape.

Thanks
Make sure you set the page dimensions to the size you want you PDF page size to be (e.g 30" X 20"). You can then arrange your parts to fit within these dimensions.

mach1 rc

Master member
Make sure you set the page dimensions to the size you want you PDF page size to be (e.g 30" X 20"). You can then arrange your parts to fit within these dimensions.
Okay I was just thinking about that but how do I tile it.

Jaxx

Okay I was just thinking about that but how do I tile it.
I haven't tiled a document in Inkscape, so I can't speak from first-hand experience, but I'll do a little research to see if I can find something that explains the process. In the mean time here is a video that explains how to setup the page border:

Jaxx

The easiest way to tile on a pc is to save as a pdf, then use the print function in Adobe pdf Viewer to do the tiling. Just send the output to a pdf instead of a printer to save as tiles.
That's what I was thinking as well. Once you save the full-size plans as a PDF, anyone should be able to print a tiled version. I'm still trying to figure out how to do it in Inkscape, but until then, this is your best option.

buzzbomb

I know nothing!
When I made the plans for the MSBP, I imported the pdf of the Mini Scout plans into Inkscape, made my changes, set the page size to equal the drawing size, saved the file, then exported as a pdf.

Then I opened the pdf in Acrobat Reader DC, selected tile in the print options and looked at how Acrobat tiled the pages. Then I went back to Inkscape and moved parts around and reset the page size again, until I got the layout I wanted in Acrobat. Just trial and error.

mach1 rc

Master member
When I made the plans for the MSBP, I imported the pdf of the Mini Scout plans into Inkscape, made my changes, set the page size to equal the drawing size, saved the file, then exported as a pdf.

Then I opened the pdf in Acrobat Reader DC, selected tile in the print options and looked at how Acrobat tiled the pages. Then I went back to Inkscape and moved parts around and reset the page size again, until I got the layout I wanted in Acrobat. Just trial and error.
Thanks I think I figured it out I watched the thread upscaling ft planes with accuracy.