Does anyone know the design process that FliteTest goes through for new planes?

landedit

I am in the process of making some custom designs using a mix of CorelDRAW, Sketchup, and Fusion 360 however, I was curious if anyone knew what Flitetest uses? I'm not necessarily interested in copying their methods but I would be curious to see how they approach taking a 3d design into a 2d layout for the laser. Or if they start with a 2d and somehow fold it virtually with a 3d program. Unless they have their own proprietary system?

landedit

I asked about this a while back but couldn't get an answer. Hopefully you have better luck.
Had you asked here or on YT? I wasn't sure where to look. I've seen their software here in there in videos but could never figure out what it was

GMalatrasi

Had you asked here or on YT? I wasn't sure where to look. I've seen their software here in there in videos but could never figure out what it was
Both... I was trying to get info on what they use to convert 3D CAD models into 2D flat patterns. I would hope their method is easier than what I have to do with my CAD program.

Matagami Designs

Master member
I've used solidworks to make my F-14. I think fusion 360 would work for flattening a 3D object. I am used to working in SW and prefer its file structure over Fusion 360. I used sheet metal features in SW. Unfortunately there is no free version for SW. Another CAD option is on shape.

Jaxx

Posted a thousand or more times
FT used CorelDRAW to design some of their planes.....at least that's what they (Josh Bixler) started designing with. Andres has used CAD software on some of the designs. I think it just depends on who and what they are designing. Go to 1:33 in the video below:

Last edited: