Does anyone run a combination of push and pull?

Hello. I like crazy ideas and strange looking contraptions. I've toyed with the idea of puller props on the wing of a craft and a pusher at the tail. Got a rough mock up coming along that I'll post pictures of. I'm sure this has been done before but is anyone currently flying anything like this? Looking for tips, thoughts and inspiration. Thanks folks. Cheers

Keno

I have experimented with this and it works just fine. One thing you might check into is one of the prop pitch should be slightly smaller than the other. if you do some research here on the internet there is some info available sky master is one as Ketchup mentioned. If you do this the props make interesting sounds. Suggestion; use counter rotating props Happy flying

Crow929

Something easy, you could make a FT Bronco (there's your 2 pullers) and add the power pod from the FT Explorer for your pusher. I've built both, but personally haven't combined them like that. That would sure have some power!

quorneng

Master member
My 50" (1.27m) Depron scale Cessna O-2 Skymaster flew extremely well and unusually required no alteration what so ever.
21Apr18.JPG

Using a 2200 mAh 3s it had plenty of power and could cruise for no less than 45 minutes with the rear motor shut down.
I used the same push/pull principle on this.
Finished1.JPG

The lack of torque from the counter rotating motors meant the ailerons remained effective even at the very slow speeds possible when the huge two section flaps were fully deployed.
FlapDownR.JPG

Thanks for all the replies and info. @Ketchup yes similar to that cessna but a bit different. To everyone in general my apologies for not mentioning trying to make this build small as possible. This is where I'm at so far on this mock up but I'm building 3 of these little planes at this moment this one will most likely be last on the list because of the more complex design. I'm not happy with the weight but I like how much stronger the airframe will be. Everyone keep in mind this is a loose mock up on a crazy design it most definitely will have to change some
20190625_142036.jpg

Thanks for the replies so far. I'm happy others have gotten things in a push/pull configuration to work well and might I say look just great. Can I get some productive criticism on the mock up if no one minds? No one's going to hurt my feelings lol I know it could stand some improvement

Ketchup

4s mini mustang
I just looked and I realized that the props on the rear motors are pointed the wrong way. Unless they were originally on a pusher you might have to turn the props around.

@Ketchup I hadn't even checked lol they're drone propellers, two pairs of counter rotating props. @Keno (Thanks!) informed me the leading pair should be slightly larger unfortunately I only have a 2 blade counter rotating pair that are larger than the 3 blade in the photo. Could that theoretically cause an imbalance? My main concern at present is weight but assume improvements could be made throughout the current design. @Hondo76251 (Many thanks) gave me a great start on smaller components. The control module pictured is from a propel x01 micro drone. My end goal is to make and repair these from off the shelf parts this just happens to be my craziest idea thus far. No interest in mass production or the like this is just how I get my jollies. Please critique
Edit: I must correct myself it was a difference in prop pitch not physical size

Last edited:

Keno

@Ketchup I hadn't even checked lol they're drone propellers, two pairs of counter rotating props. @Keno (Thanks!) informed me the leading pair should be slightly larger unfortunately I only have a 2 blade counter rotating pair that are larger than the 3 blade in the photo. Could that theoretically cause an imbalance? My main concern at present is weight but assume improvements could be made throughout the current design. @Hondo76251 (Many thanks) gave me a great start on smaller components. The control module pictured is from a propel x01 micro drone. My end goal is to make and repair these from off the shelf parts this just happens to be my craziest idea thus far. No interest in mass production or the like this is just how I get my jollies. Please critique
At the size you are working on forget the pitch thing. I was thing of a much larger plane. Happy flying and enjoy.

Ketchup

4s mini mustang
When I said that the props were backwards I meant that the two back props should be turned 180 degrees and put back on. For example, on planes and quads the writing on the propeller is always pointed forwards, I’m not sure how to explain why though. I’m sorry but that’s the simplest that I can make it.

Ok I've put in a parts order should be around a month before it arrives. Should I start a new build thread or continue this here? It's been years since I've used a forum. Thanks for all the help so far