Does foamboard dry

kevintieman

Hi, I just scratch built an edge 540 using locally sourced 5mm white foamboard (I guess it's similar to the white foamboard flitetest used before). While the paint was drying outside it started pouring (rain). Now the model is about 150/200 grams heavier :-(. It has not warped or anything, just soaked up some water.

My question, should I start building a new one or does the model dry after some time? (yes I am inpatient)

daxian

Elite member
it will dry eventualy ...but will more than likely warp as it does dry..try not to dry it quickly (with heat).

kdobson83

Put it in front of a fan, try to dry it evenly. Hopefully since it's not Dollar Tree Foam it won't delaminate. Keep your fingers crossed.

Seahunter

I will try the fan, thanks!
I am curious about your airframe and how well the drying came out, please let us know if it warped or ? I have had some sad experiences with delaminating foam board, also bubbles from painting and melting foam board etc! If it survived, what board were you using? :unsure::)

kevintieman

Hi, so far it survived and some parts delaminated but was able to glue it back. I'm using foamboard from a local hobbyshop in Wormerveer, Netherlands. No idea what type of foamboard.

It's still very heavy though, with battery and all electronics installed it weighs 1.3 kg :-(. I installed a 3536 1000kv motor with 10x7 prop, so it will take off probably. Really wondering how Andres got his to weigh less then 700 grams without battery.

What does a typical scratch built edge 540 weigh?

kdobson83

Hi, so far it survived and some parts delaminated but was able to glue it back. I'm using foamboard from a local hobbyshop in Wormerveer, Netherlands. No idea what type of foamboard.

It's still very heavy though, with battery and all electronics installed it weighs 1.3 kg :-(. I installed a 3536 1000kv motor with 10x7 prop, so it will take off probably. Really wondering how Andres got his to weigh less then 700 grams without battery.

What does a typical scratch built edge 540 weigh?
I think the normal weight of the edge with Dollar Tree Foam that we use over here is about 700grams. But not all foams are created equal. Take Elmer's foam board, it's almost twice as heavy, turning that 700 gram plane into 1300-1400 grams.