Does the proper ESC programming reduce the chance of prop damage during crash?

Zahid

Hi guys, this is my first contribution in this great fantastic forums and I just wanted to put a question for discussion, does anyone encountered a frequent prop damage (during crash or wrong landing) due to incorrect programming of the ESC, in other words, does the programming of the ESC (brake and other factors) affects the prop or can reduce the chance of breaking the prop during crash?

Craftydan

Hostage Taker of Quads
Staff member
Mentor
Zahid,

Welcome to the forum!

If you turned the break on, then maybe. In that case the ESC will give the motor a touch more resistance to spinning the motor. It will still move, but won't windmill as it would with the break turned off. The slight bit of extra resistance may be more than the prop can take, but other than that, simply chopping the throttle moments before impact should help more than any ESC setting.

Now for anything you want to glide, the break is a necessary setting - with it on, the breaked prop shows the drag equivalent of the prop's top surface area. With it off, the windmilling prop presents a drag surface equivalent of a disk the diameter of the prop.

pgerts

Old age member
Mentor
NO - i cant imagine any programming saving the propeller during a crash.
But with brake on you will be able to stop the motor wit the propeller horizontal - when landing controlled.
Some says that a slow spinning propeller finds the horizontal position more easy when landing soft.

This break sounds really useful for a flying wing, so that the prop never hits the ground when you land. How do you turn it on so that it stops horizontaly?

Craftydan

Hostage Taker of Quads
Staff member
Mentor
You can't really. motors stop where they stop. There have been some break and escapement mechanisms that have been built to stop ornithopitor wings in glide positions, but they're complicated and more mechanical than electronic. A folding pusher prop is the closest you'll get to making this unbreakable.

Again, a braked motor can be nudged a little way without much resistance, but the back emf from the break will keep it from windmilling. Without the break set, however, it's easier for the prop to be nudged inline with the wing on impact.

lonewolf7717

Broken Props on flying wings/
With ESC break on: 3
With ESC break off: 0
Tad bit of personal experience for ya to chew on.

xuzme720

Dedicated foam bender
Mentor
Hey guys...i hate to be the grammar nazi so please take this with the levity it's written with.

Break is what we do to our planes when we high five the ground.
Brake is how we stop our cars and props.

Homophone's stink!

Craftydan

Hostage Taker of Quads
Staff member
Mentor
Hey guys...i hate to be the grammar nazi so please take this with the levity it's written with.

Homophone's stink!

Hate two brake it too you . . . don't care ;)

lonewolf7717

Homophone's stink!
BRAKE....I mean BREAK....this!

lonewolf7717

Give it a BREAK.....ahhh hell BRAKE....why dontcha.

I can keep going if you would like....about to start BRAKE....BREAK...dancing up in this mofo

xuzme720

Dedicated foam bender
Mentor
Here it comes! ;)
I new I was going too get ruff treatment from the other Texans. Is it to late two take it back?

lonewolf7717

no worries xuzme....would hate to imagine just how bad things could get in forum land if not for those that maintain the line in the sand.

lonewolf7717

Here it comes! ;)
I new I was going too get ruff treatment from the other Texans. Is it to late two take it back?
I believe you intended to type "knew" rather than "new"....surely....let your fingers do the walking whilst the brain takes a power nap.

xuzme720

Dedicated foam bender
Mentor
True, but the group here is not a typical forum crowd. We can joke around with each other and when you get right down to it, a little good natured ribbing is normal and quite alright. I take it the way it was meant.

Zahid

Many thanks for your kind welcome and input, thank you all guys for sharing your experience in this great forums.